“Nice staff, close to Seaworld, horrible parking.”

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #157 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express exclusively because it was close to Seaworld and In-N-Burger. The staff was quite friendly even when we checked late and were tired and short. The room was nice, clean and the beds were comfortable. This hotel is tucked away and would be difficult to find without GPS. Internet, breakfast and parking were free. My only gripe is the parking garage. It is waaaayyy too small and is located under the hotel. Because it is under the hotel there are pillars to support the hotel that seem to crowd every 2nd or 3rd parking space. The spaces are small as well so if you arrive late then is no room to park because all the good spaces are occupied and the empty ones are way to difficulty to navigate due to the pillars. The garage was 50% full and still no way to park. Don't even think about parking your Cadillac or full size pickup here unless you park early and take up 2 spaces. Overall a good hotel with nice amenities but bring your Fiat or SmartCar!!

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Sea World

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Nice Staff, clean rooms, large well lighted bathroom.
The only problem was the parking. The parking spaces are small (not too small) but many guests don't bother to park in the lines and end up taking 2 spaces. Very frustrating when you pull in, there is no parking because 10 spots are lost to inconsiderate guests.
The staff should better control the parking (there is outside security), each car has a parking permit, the guests should be contacted to park correctly.

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the freeway, do it. The freeway side rooms are not too loud but you...
3  Thank Matt T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear Matt T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the inconvenience the parking may have caused you. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed there on a trip with two grandkids for 4 nights. Got a 2 beds with a pull out. Rooms were clean and the bedding was to die for! Luxury sheets and linens made for a good night's sleep. They managed to change breakfast a little each morning so that it wasn't the same and boring. they also kept the eating area very clean. Location was great to go to Sea World, Zoo etc, watched fireworks each night from our hotel room. Had a pharmacy across the street as well as markets in the area. Draw back was this hotel was tucked back and not easily found. I wouldn't advise walking after dark in the area, but I felt safe at the hotel. Surprisingly, the restaurants in the area were lacking in service and quality. We went to the supermarket for our evening meal and brought them back to the hotel. The pool was a disappointment because of the hotel's location itself. Staff was very nice and helpful. I definitely stay there again. A word of advise, the streets are tricky and somewhat trying when you are going out for any reason. No light at intersection and having to go two blocks down to make a u turn.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I, as usual, started making July4th long weekend road trip from San Jose to San Diego as last minute as I can get which is on Tuesday for a start of Wednesday. As expected most of all was either sold out or super expensive. I'm apriority club and marriott member so I usually look there first and then go to kayak/hotels.com and elsewhere to check what is the best around the area.
HI-X was right there with other hotels. What sold me with this was that there was no extra out of pocket. Everything was included in room rate so you knew what you were paying upfront.

Looked at lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and found out that most of the hotels in the area don't have complimentary breakfast and charges for parking anywhere form $10 pernight to $25, and don't get me started on the charges for internet/wifi. So I was cautious when I saw a room rate too good to be true, there was always a hidden fees somewhere which can be over $50 per day over the room rates. There was none of that for HI-X. That itself gets 5* from me.

We found this hotel to be clean (didn't see any spots or weird smell) as I read in some other reviews that made me have think before booking this place twice.

It was total sold out place by the time we got there, so the parking was tight but the staff was helpful in finding you a spot. Same goes for breakfast area. small, but clean but got crazy around 9am. Here is a tip ( go before 8am and get fresh and steaming breakfast with no lines)

It's very close to Sea World, our first stop on this trip then it was and not that far from SD Zoo (10 minutes drive). There are lots of eateries nearby for lunch/dinner and grocery store walking distance (just in case).

My grievance from the place is that the area around is kind of shabby. Don't feel comfortable walking around by yourself in evening kind of place. We just were there crashing in the night so that wasn't a deal breaker for us. Didn't use the pool so can't say about it but the location of pool was weird, you need to go out through parking lot to get there.

Room was clean, beds were comfortable, and shower had enough hot water and good pressure, My 3 basic needs from an inn plus free breakfast and free parking.

2  Thank goldy_travels
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This hotel is a short drive from Sea World San Diego. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, an outdoor pool, and a very friendly and helpful staff (they even helped me sort out a problem with my iPad!)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Close to Seaworld and built in the style of all budget hotels, however the rooms are clean and pleasant even if you get a view of the highway what did you expect ?
What makes the place special are the staff, friendly, welcoming and polite. They offered cookies, coffee and local advise on arrival and greeted me like an old friend.
These guys take a standard package Nd make it a pleasure to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at HIE Sea World, as my daughter went to a sleepover at Sea World. The room was nice, but a little dark for our liking, the room was clean, the staff was friendly and the breakfast was better than the cold stuff most motels offer. We had a view of a billboard next to 1-8 and being on the second floor there was a walkway outside of our window, which we didn't want to leave open to enjoy the evening air as we slept. The drapes only hung along the window, so we couldn't block the morning sun. Luckily, we had a safety pin to close it partially. I'm not sure if this is standard, but the entrance door was cut a little smaller which had small gaps that allowed the noise from other guest to be heard in our room. If possible bring a small car, because the parking was tight and barely could fit our Honda Accord into the stall without risking a dent.
For the price we paid and the minor problems we dealt with. We definitely would stay there again if we visit San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family