“Not a bad hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #166 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 21 April 2006

This is a basic hotel not fancy. The room was clean and the staff was very nice. In fact one morining we missed brunch yet the woman serving brunch got us cereal and milk even though she was cleaning up. If all you need is a clean comfortable place to sleep that won't cost an arm and a leg. This works. The neighborhood is not great.

3  Thank PTWGETTY

Reviewed 17 April 2006

This place almost deserves an excellent, if not for the awefully small parking spaces and busy elevator.

My family with a 4 and 6 year old stayed here around April 11th for 3 nights. Kind of tricky finding, but once you know where it is, it is okay. We found the beds to be excellent, they were firm and not that aweful soft pillowtop junk other hotels are cramming down our throats. (We yanked the top off the beds at our last place in LA) The rooms were clean and well stocked with nice absorbant towels and a nice bathroom. There is a coffee maker, refridgerator, microwave, good ac/heater. Even though this is by a highway, we didn't here any traffic. I am a light sleeper, so believe me.

There was a free breakfast included. Parking is underground, but small spaces. I didn't get to try the pool, but the other kids seemed to have a ball. Staff is very friendly, but doesn't know any good spots for recommendations. They read off a sheet provided to them.

One small issue was the bathtub was not cleaned. We notified the manager on duty whom sent us up some requested cleaning supplies so we could clean it ourselves at our request. This was very prompt and acceptable to us.

For a one star hotel, this is tops!

3  Thank happy-hour175
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 15 April 2006

I was hesitant to stay at the Holiday Inn while visiting the zoo and sea world, but it turned out to be very pleasant. It was kind of scary when I pulled up but everything changed once inside. The hotel looks new & the staff was very friendly. The lady at the desk always had a smile when I asked for directions and I'm sure she's given those directions a thousand times. The breakfast was great for being free. They have trays so you can take the food to your room. They also have a computer in the lobby for you to use for free. Parking is tight but free. I could hear the outside noise pretty good and that was a little annoying but got used to it. Overall I say great value and great spot to visit the attractions. 5-10 minutes to Seaworld and 10-15 minutes to the zoo. Don't pass up Mission beach if you have small children. Great park there. Wahoos is great Mexican food (and cheap).

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 April 2006

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Holiday Inn Express Sea World based on the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. In my opinion, the hotel does not deserve an above average rating. The rooms were decorated on the lower scale of the budget hotel rooms I have stayed in. The decor was sparse, the beds were very hard, the pillows were flat and, the linens seemed worn out.
On the first night of our stay, the sink started leaking. We called maintenance and they unsuccessfully tried to fix it. We asked for a room change, but the staff said one was not available because the hotel was full. The sink leaked for the remainder of our stay. The housekeeper managed to put a trash can under the sink to collect the water, but that was the extent of the maintenance.
The hotels front desk staff is cheerful, but no help in recommending area restaurants. When asked about authentic Mexican restaurants, we were referred to the local Chipotles, a franchise restaurant.
The two positive aspects of the hotel are the location and the breakfast. It is close to all of the attractions and the main highway. The breakfast was pretty filling and a good way to start a day of touring attractions. I would not stay at this hotel again and in the future, will be more cautious when booking a room solely based on Trip Advisor ratings.

19  Thank CandyPerfumeGirl
Reviewed 4 April 2006

Our recent stay at this hotel was such a pleasant experience; I can't say enough positive things about it and felt compelled to pass them along. I would "echo" all positive comments I read above regarding spacious rooms and clean bedding which almost appeared to be new. All the public areas we were in, i.e. hallway, lobby, etc. appeared to have been remodeled recently. The hallway was wide, well lighted, attractive and very safe feeling. The staff were helpful and represented their jobs very well. Parking is "tight" but safe, no charge, and available. It is true the pool is on the small side and view not the best, but above things far out weighed these. Breakfast bar was very adequate and the lady who attended to it was so nice. I too cannot imagine the previous negative comments stayed at this particular Holiday Inn Express??? All in all this stay made my first trip to San Diego a very pleasant one. I would highly recommend to any family visiting the Sea World area or any part of SanDiego for that matter. Thanks to Holday Inn Express for providing a quality experience.

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank DON P
A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2006

We stayed for a single night in February 2006 en route to a conference/exhibition. Very pleased with the size and cleanliness of rooms. 2 queen beds plus a fold-out from the couch was at a great rate for us "budget" travelers. Lobby was welcoming and clean, and desk personnel were very helpful with recommendations and directions for local dining and attractions. Continental breakfast was generously diverse and well-stocked. Covered parking was attractive & comfortably safe. As grad students, we probably have lower standards than business or family travelers, but we were definately impressed and would visit again (even on business or with a family)!

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I recently stayed at this establishment(Mar 24th-25th)and enjoyed the visit. There were 5 people in our group, 4 adults and one small child, and the deluxe room with 2 queen beds definately met our needs.

Our deluxe room was very spacious, two queen beds, a small sofa w/ small coffee table, mini refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, desk w/ chair, dresser, and nightstand. The bathroom had a very large vanity area, a wonderful bathtub/shower that was equipped with the infamous curved shower rod so that the curtain never touches you.(Kudos to the inventor!)

The continential breakfast exceeded our expectations- It included items such as: Coffee, Juice, Milk, Hot Chocolate, Bagels w/ Cream Cheese, Pastries, Toast, Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, Hard Boiled Eggs, selection of 3-4 cold cereals and instant oatmeal... and let us not forget the infamous cinnamon rolls! The were great!!! The breakfast area was very clean, and continuously monitored/stocked by the very friendly & efficient staff.

The staff was very helpful & courteous in directions to local attractions, restaurants, etc.

As I had read in reviews prior to making our reservation, the parking garage has the potential to be a little tight, however my husband had no problem in manuvering our full size Ford pickup in and out of spaces.

Overall, this hotel was a great value for our the money, very close to Sea World. We would recommend this establishment to our family & friends, and choose to stay here again on our future San Diego adventures.

• Stayed: March 2006