“Not fancy, but nice”

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #167 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 2 July 2006

Stayed here 20 - 23 June 2006. Requested room wasn't available on our first night but the staff compensated with adjoining rooms. We were moved into a very nice and large one bedroom suite on our second night. This isn't a fancy place but it's clean, centrally located, and has a decent breakfast and warm pool. Great for families or travellers on a budget wanting a quality place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank HappyTraveler42

Reviewed 26 June 2006

My duaghters and I booked this hotel based on the comments we had read on this website. While the room that we had reserved, which we eventually got into, was great...the service at the hotel was well below average. After flying from the east coast, we arrived late and the room that we had reserved 4 months ago was not available (we had requested a kid's suite). They didn't offer to adjust the cost - since this room was a double. They told us that our room would be ready early the next morning...the next morning our room was not ready. After returning later that afternoon we went to the front desk to get our new room, only to wait 20 minutes for a room to be assigned to us. Then we went to retrieve our luggage from our old room and it was gone. They had moved it to a holding area without telling us. On the last night of our stay I asked the front desk for a preliminary copy of my bill, only to find out that we were supposed to have left that day...when our reservations were for 1 more night.
The room was nice and the pool was warm. Since we rode public transportation the entire time, the bus stopped right outside the hotel, so that was very convenient for us. But those are the only good things I can write about.
You shouldn't have to spend your vacation dealing with your room!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank GrahamsinVA
Reviewed 2 May 2006

An excellent clean hotel ideally located for sea world.

I stayed in a suite with my wife, neice and son. The room was very spacious.............why can't all budget hotels be like this one...........oh and by the way despite what others say the buffet breakfast was fine and included in the price.

6  Thank ecossealba
Reviewed 21 April 2006

This is a basic hotel not fancy. The room was clean and the staff was very nice. In fact one morining we missed brunch yet the woman serving brunch got us cereal and milk even though she was cleaning up. If all you need is a clean comfortable place to sleep that won't cost an arm and a leg. This works. The neighborhood is not great.

3  Thank PTWGETTY
Reviewed 17 April 2006

This place almost deserves an excellent, if not for the awefully small parking spaces and busy elevator.

My family with a 4 and 6 year old stayed here around April 11th for 3 nights. Kind of tricky finding, but once you know where it is, it is okay. We found the beds to be excellent, they were firm and not that aweful soft pillowtop junk other hotels are cramming down our throats. (We yanked the top off the beds at our last place in LA) The rooms were clean and well stocked with nice absorbant towels and a nice bathroom. There is a coffee maker, refridgerator, microwave, good ac/heater. Even though this is by a highway, we didn't here any traffic. I am a light sleeper, so believe me.

There was a free breakfast included. Parking is underground, but small spaces. I didn't get to try the pool, but the other kids seemed to have a ball. Staff is very friendly, but doesn't know any good spots for recommendations. They read off a sheet provided to them.

One small issue was the bathtub was not cleaned. We notified the manager on duty whom sent us up some requested cleaning supplies so we could clean it ourselves at our request. This was very prompt and acceptable to us.

For a one star hotel, this is tops!

3  Thank happy-hour175
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 15 April 2006

I was hesitant to stay at the Holiday Inn while visiting the zoo and sea world, but it turned out to be very pleasant. It was kind of scary when I pulled up but everything changed once inside. The hotel looks new & the staff was very friendly. The lady at the desk always had a smile when I asked for directions and I'm sure she's given those directions a thousand times. The breakfast was great for being free. They have trays so you can take the food to your room. They also have a computer in the lobby for you to use for free. Parking is tight but free. I could hear the outside noise pretty good and that was a little annoying but got used to it. Overall I say great value and great spot to visit the attractions. 5-10 minutes to Seaworld and 10-15 minutes to the zoo. Don't pass up Mission beach if you have small children. Great park there. Wahoos is great Mexican food (and cheap).

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 April 2006

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Holiday Inn Express Sea World based on the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. In my opinion, the hotel does not deserve an above average rating. The rooms were decorated on the lower scale of the budget hotel rooms I have stayed in. The decor was sparse, the beds were very hard, the pillows were flat and, the linens seemed worn out.
On the first night of our stay, the sink started leaking. We called maintenance and they unsuccessfully tried to fix it. We asked for a room change, but the staff said one was not available because the hotel was full. The sink leaked for the remainder of our stay. The housekeeper managed to put a trash can under the sink to collect the water, but that was the extent of the maintenance.
The hotels front desk staff is cheerful, but no help in recommending area restaurants. When asked about authentic Mexican restaurants, we were referred to the local Chipotles, a franchise restaurant.
The two positive aspects of the hotel are the location and the breakfast. It is close to all of the attractions and the main highway. The breakfast was pretty filling and a good way to start a day of touring attractions. I would not stay at this hotel again and in the future, will be more cautious when booking a room solely based on Trip Advisor ratings.

19  Thank CandyPerfumeGirl