The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #46 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Lovely”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Accommodation was nice and clean and the hotel facilities were excellent. Two good sized pools and lovely scenery of the marina.
With two on site restaurants, it gives you plenty of choice.
The position of the hotel is great and walking distance from mission bay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosselliott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Parkdale, Oregon
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We came to San Diego from Oregon with our two kids and our nephew. We booked a standard room which was way too small with a cot. The front desk staff couldn't move us the first night as they were sold out (New Years eve) but they moved us the next day to a much larger and nicer room. They moved all of our stuff while we were at Sea World. The new room was very nice and I would recommend asking to be in the 1,000 or 2,000 buildings. Aloof these rooms face the bay.the pools are nice and our kids spent hours swimming. Both restaurants are very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 1,000 or 2,000 building.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Checkbook
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Dana on mission bay has a lot of good quality, but overall it feels like a out dated motel. Yes, there is a shuttle bus to Sea World, but it's very crowded. It's probably better just walk rather than take the shuttle bus...

Room Tip: I don't think it worth more to get a ocean view room at all.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PDX-wang
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I wanted a relaxing weekend away, and almost was successful; unfortunately the Saturday night front desk continually lied to us.

We had a group of young adult neighbors turning their room into party central. On 3 calls to the desk from 9 PM to 12:30 AM we were told they were taking care of it. At 12:30 I had had it with their inactivity and found the desk wouldn’t answer my calls for 10 minutes. Finally I was told the party people were being evicted. Found out that was a lie as they were back the next morning slaming doors and playing loud dance music. Looks like their bigger spending group was more important than us two.

When I checked out and complained again the clerk comp'd us the parking charge, so that helped me cool down a little. I still would have rather had a less angry sleep after an afternoon of watching fish jump out of the water at Sea World. The front desk had no explanation to me on why it could have been resolved last night and why I was ignored.

We had a mystery $18 premium movie charge, so I would be sure to review everything on your bill when you check out.

The positive side of the Dana is it is about 15 minutes walking to Sea World and is right on Mission Bay. They have a free shuttle bus as well. It runs twice in the morning and twice at night. The last bus left before park closing, so we decided to walk.

We upgraded to a bay view suite and it was nice. The bed was comfortable and the wi-fi was fast. The room was clean with a large tiled bathroom. It also came with a microwave, coffee maker, light robes and refrigerator.

We sat on the patio with coffee watching the boats and joggers. There is no beach, but a nice grassy lawn between the hotel and the water.

As other reviews state there is a $20 a night parking fee that you cannot avoid since the hotel has no safe overnight street parking (not many street lights). An additional $9 ‘resort fee’ give you the same things hotels used to give for free: coupon book, pool and exercise room privileges.

I was expecting the usual overpriced mediocre hotel meal when we tried there upper end dinner restaurant ‘Firefly’ and was pleasantly surprised. The Sea Bass with fried Brussels sprouts appetizer was expertly prepared with different ingredients. My wife had special dietary needs and the staff bent over backwards to be accommodating her vegetable dish. We sat on the patio under the heaters to enjoy the night. The desserts are large enough to share.

The main pool was heated with a great view of the bay. The Jacuzzi was a great way to boil away the sore leg pain.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the newer building if you need a larger room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nomad_LA
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had my wedding here on August 9, 2013. I cannot even begin to describe how perfect it was. The grounds are incredible, our ceremony site overlooked the bay and was breathtaking. On top of that the entire planning process was made a breeze by Keith Robinson. He worked with us at every turn and was incredibly responsive. I'm sure my mother and I flooded his inbox at least once a week with questions and concerns and he was able to calm us down every time. The reception space was immaculate and the entire night went seamlessly. The next morning we even received fruit and champagne in our honeymoon suite from Keith which was such a nice gesture! We had blocked off rooms for friends and family and everyone commented on how amazing the rooms were. My parents had one of the largest suites and were there for a week and Keith treated them just as well as he treated my husband and I. I encourage anyone looking for a wedding venue on the water to STRONGLY consider The Dana.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We wanted to stay at the Bahia resort, but the rooms were too expensive for the dates we were looking at, so we gave Dana a shot. Our overall experience was quite good. It's very close to the Mission beach but does not have access to a beach like Bahia does. The standard rooms are small but clean and have all the basic amenities. We had a minor issue with our A/C and later switched rooms to go from 2 queens to 1 king size bed - on both occasions the service was very good & the front desk people were prompt, courteous and very helpful. The place had other amenities like 2 pools, a kids sand box, a bike/ hike trail (with bike rentals etc). While we had no major issues with this place, there was really nothing that stood out that would compel us to go back.

Note 1: We were there around christmas time and with the additional $29 (parking + resort fee) the room rates were still cheaper than any other 'good' hotel in the mission beach area.

Note 2: Their restaurant Blue Pearl is very good. We ordered breakfast from there twice and the food was delicious and fresh. The coupon book (included in your resort fee) has some good deals for this restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I visited the Dana in January with a large corporate group from my husbands company. I have to admit my first impression of the hotel was somewhat lacking. We were greeted and shown to our rooms within a very reasonable amount of time considering our large group. However, the front desk seemed very overwhelmed with our group and were not friendly at all. I looked around while we were waiting for our room and although the property seemed clean, it was more on par with a Holiday Inn Express. I will admit that when we travel with my husbands company, we usually stay at high end places, so I was a bit put off by the impression of the hotel.

We had a room overlooking the bay and it was nice. The beds were made every day and housekeeping did a great job. We also had room service one morning and the food was excellent. I did use the dry cleaning service and although I was assured that I would receive my item by 7pm (I was waiting to have it pressed so I could wear it to a dinner) It was not returned to my room until very late. At least I had another outfit to wear and they did not charge me due to not having it back when scheduled.

Overall, I would say that this property is just average. It is good for mid-level travel, but anyone looking for anything other than the basic necessities covered may want to keep looking.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple