“The Dana was Divine and didn't disappoint!”

The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #45 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Flagstaff, AZ
“The Dana was Divine and didn't disappoint!”
Reviewed 29 June 2009

After spending hours online trying to find a nice, safe hotel that could give us relaxation while still being kid-friendly and in the vacation budget, we booked the Dana. The room was clean, quiet, spacious and had an amazing view. The beds were very comfortable. The pool had great sand area for the little ones to play while we lounged with drinks from the pool bar and the surrounding gardens and marina were beautiful. The staff were very friendly and eager to assist. The hotel location made it easy to get to SeaWorld (free shuttle), nearby beaches, and access to freeways. The casual restaurant had wonderful service and great food for reasonable prices. The formal restaurant had a wonderful outdoor patio dining area and great ambiance - just would've liked real "kid" food on the menu. We loved it and will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I booked this hotel 10 hours before arriving with my family. Not knowing what to expect since one night charge was so inexpensive ($97 + tax). We were very surprised at the accommodation. It was excellent!!!! The front desk was fast and very helpful. The room was clean and well-worth $100/night. The view from our room was spectacular and 15 minutes walk to Sea World. I highly recommend this place if you travel with children.

colorado springs
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed in the Dana the year before and had a good experience so when we put together this AAA Disney package trip we added the Dana for our hotel of choice for the San Diego end of our trip. In 2008 we traveld with 2 kids and got a room in the older part of the hotel right next to the pool and it was a decent room-clean and comfortable.
This year our older 25 yr old daughter also traveled with us so we made resv to stay in the new part of the hotel the bayview rooms with 2 queens and a fold out sleeper sofa, Nicer, newer rooms with more rooms since we had 5 on this trip. After the drive down from Disney that day we checked in at 4:30 pm and the check in desk said their resv showed us in the old part of the hotel not the newer more expensive bayview rooms. He said those rooms were sold out but he could put us in the old part of the hotel and bring in a roll away bed. Then move us the next day to the bayview rooms for an extra $60 per night plus $11 per night parking fee. Since our resv through AAA Disney was prepaid back in April and our voucher we had been given to show when we checked in had clearly printed on it Bayview room 3rd (for the 3rd floor.) I objected to paying more $ when I had already paid this through AAA. He finally went and spoke to his mgr who said they woudl upgrade me to the bayview rooms with no extra charge except for the parking.
At this point I just wanted to get the family unpacked, into a room and get the kids in the pool. The first room was right next to the hwy and restaurant was dingy and musty, and hardly any room for a roll away. I went back and asked if they had a room closer to the pool like we stayed in last year. He had one with 1 king size bed. The room was nicer so we moved from the 1st room to that one, slept 3 in the bed, had a roll away and our air mattress, so we made do the first night.
The next day we were upgraded to the bayview which is what we had origianlly paid for and had resv for. And it was a very nice room exactly what we had expected in the first place. Things were fine after that. On check out they said they had us down for staying 14 days not 4 days! So we had to straighten that out, then I complained about the parking fee since I am sure that was supposed to be covered in our AAA rsv and the fact I did not get the right room the first night. So they did waive the parking fees and gave me a coupon to get 15% discount on my next visit if we come back.
I like the property, location and the newer rooms bayside. The older rooms are ok for 2-4 people but kinda small. The restaurant on the property the blue pearl is very good and reasonable. The 2 pools are nice. Just hated the mix up and their insistance that their records did not match what AAA Disney had booked for us. The problem with paying in advance you have no leverage once you check in they already have your money.
So all in all a mixed experience for us this time around and we would consider looking at other options our next trip to San Diego.

Las Vegas
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My wife and I travel to San Diego at least four times each year and the only place we recomend us The Dana. The staff is on top
of their game and is available to help at any time. The rooms are always clean and the beds are comfortable. The location you couldn't ask for a better spot if you have kids or if youre looking for a romantic getaway. I've recommended this hotel to all my friends and now I don he same to you. You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Eastern Oregon
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We knew immediately that we would again stay at the Dana when we visited San Diego. The location makes it a short trip to San Diego attractions, and the hotel is superb. The rooms, pool area, Blue Pearl restaurant, and staff are excellent. We'll be back!

Phoenix
Reviewed 22 June 2009

The Dana is a great place to stay if you are visiitng Sea World or just want a place to stay overlooking Mission Bay. The staff was prompt and helfull. We are looking to return next year and spend more time around the hotel and enjoy its nighttime activities.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
san diego,california
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My brother was in town for a couple of days recently.And I decided to treat he and I to a stay on Mission Bay.Selecting "The Dana"was one of the best travel choices I have ever made.I am a writer,and periodically I stay at local hotels for the peace and quiet.Especially if I have a deadline to meet.
This stay was for pure relaxation and time with my brother.From the time I entered the main lobby,I knew I had picked a winner.The front desk staff were a joy to deal with.Everyone with a smile,and so very helpfull.
We were assigned our room which was a "Bay View"catagory.I could not believe it when we arrived at the room.It was "Bay Front".We were only a few yards from the water.The view was incredible.The room was very spacious,and included a refrigerator and a microwave,coffee maker, and complimentary coffee and tea.Our room was ground floor.So we could walk right out on to our patio,and then a few more steps to the sand.We could not have asked for a better location.
The hotel is literally on Mission Bay.Located very close to Sea World and Belmont Park(a local amusement park,with roller coaster and other rides).It is also close to 2 major freeways that will get you any where in San Diego that you may want to go.Very easy access to all.
Room service is provided by their on site restaurant"The Blue Pearl".We ordered several meals from room service,and the quality was great.It was always delivered promptly,we never had to wait more than 20 minutes.
The hotel has a very nice swimming pool,excersize facilities,and even it's own Marina.The grounds are beautiful,and we enjoyed many walks around them.With the bay as a back drop-it just does not get any better.We also enjoyed beautifull sunset's from our patio.
The Dana is a jewel of a find.It has much more of a local feel to it.Very different from the larger chain hotels.I am definately going back.And I would highly reccomend this hotel.The Dana has somthing for everyone.There is plenty to do for adults and families alike.You will be in for a treat when you pick "The Dana".

Seple Miller