“All the comforts of home....and more” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley

Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley
Ranked #117 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Fresno, CA
“All the comforts of home....and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This property is a hidden gem in Sorrento Mesa, perfect for families or business travelers. The rooms are spacious with a full kitchen, and there's a great breakfast with plenty of room to sit. Best of all -- at least according to our kids -- there is a SportCourt and ping-pong table that are both in great condition.

At first glance, it might seem like the location is too far from the beaches and attractions like SeaWorld and the Zoo, but it's actually very close to the freeway and you can get everywhere in 20 minutes or so (assuming you time it right, of course, and miss the major traffic).

The service was outstanding from the moment we arrived, and the free WiFi was fast and dependable, which is a huge plus. There's plenty of free parking, and you can literally walk 5 minutes to a nearby Chili's. This was our first stay at this property, and we'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear 56waldorf,

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing us such a nice review.

We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to when you can come see us again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff is very nice and very helpful. Especially Daniel at the front desk. The room is great and pretty roomy. Free breakfast, wifi, and parking is a plus. The location was okay. The hotel was fairly close to restaurants such as Chilli's. It was hard to reach downtown San Diego because of normal traffic.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Bien,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review on Trip Advisor. We truly apperciate you're helpful comments to for other travlers to see.

We hope you are able to come see us again very soon.
Solon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel and facilities were absolutely excellant! Breakfast buffett met the needs of a business traveler and spouse, the pool and hot tub were great, WiFi worked well, the room was very comfortable. The room was set up as an efficiency, another wonderful convenience. We were cared for by several wonderful staff including Daniel who checked us in, Nicci who served at the breakfast buffett, and Jawad who served at the evening social events. If I could hire them for my non-hotel staff, I would. They were great. My wife stayed at the hotel while i was in business meetings during the day, and she said that the cleaning staff and grounds people were nice and very helpful. We combined business and pleasure, extending my business trip to a weekend vacation. The hotel is a short drive from the San Diego Zoo and from the beaches. Very nice all the way around.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side of the hotel away from Mira Mesa are quieter, but rooms facing the pool c...
Green Features: The hotel is set up to conserve and recycle as much of our waste products, papers, bottles, cans, etc. as we cared to provide.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Don,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review on Trip Advisor. I will pass along your mention of our associates to our management.

We hope you are able to come see us again very soon.
Cranbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My first time on a business trip and I was worried about the hotel accomodations. But that was washed away from the moment I checked in. Luis and Daniel at the front desk welcomed me like a an old friend. When I opened the door to my room I was surprised on how clean, and roomy it was. I took advantage of every perk they had to offer. I did my laundry on-site, I placed an order for groceries and they filled my fridge with them. I needed more pillows and they asked me if I preffered foam or feather pillows. I had breakfast every morning and they greated me like family. Our team even barbequed one night and the staff was very accomodating and we even ejoyed the outdoor fireplace, which was quite cozy. :-)

One evening during my unexpected extended three week business stay I dropped my plate of food and some of it landed on my business dress. Jawad was awesome, he came to my rescue and he cleaned everything up, but first he wanted to make sure I was o.k. and that I hadn't burned myself.

There was one night that I came back to my room from a 12-hour day at the office to find a little bag with some treats in it with a thank you card in it; it was from Sasha. In a meeting with her I had asked if they had any unbuttered microwave popcorn instead of the buttered and she said she would get it for me and she did. Sasha also remembered that I loved the fireplace in my room. It's the attention to detail that makes the staff stand out and that's what Sasha and the rest of the team do and did during my stay there.

The staff is incredibly attentive and super friendly. I had to move hotels for the last leg of my business trip and let's just say it doesn't compare to the Residence Inn Marriott Sorrento Mesa/ Sorrento Valley that I stayed at. I really miss the staff ( Luis, Daniel, Jawad, Kelly, Housekeepers J and H and Sasha). I hope I get another opportunity to stay at my new home away from home again soon in the near future. Truly enjoyed my stay. Miss you all.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny and don't choose the floor if you're not a fan of A/C unit...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Nancy,

Thank you so much for writing us the sweet message. We truly enjoy our guests and like to think of them as our extended family. Just because you do not currently have a key to one of the suites, doesn’t mean you are forgotten. We all hope you are able to come back again very soon and in the meantime, safe travels!

Sasha and the rest of the team :-)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Sorrento Valley Residence Inn is a wonderful place to stay for the business man. I have now stayed there 8 weeks straight. I come back each week, even though there are alternatives near by, because the hotel is so nice. As a business traveler, I look for a comfortable feel to a hotel, with good beds and showers, and a quiet environment. This place fits well.

I can cook in my own room, as the kitchenette is very well organized. Groceries can be had a few miles up the road. But why cook, when every morning a very nice breakfast is offered in the nicely designed breakfast room. A wide variety of breakfast foods are available.

Two staff members have been particular helpful to me. Maria, at the front desk has been both helpful to see that my expectations are well met, and very friendly as well. You see, she is, like me, from Texas, and Texas Friendly is a real thing!

But I have come to know a very special man that serves the dinner area most nights. Jawad is one of the most happy and friendly guys you could want to meet. He loves his work, and it shows. He sincerely makes each guest feel personally welcomed and served. He takes special interest in children staying at the hotel, making them special foods and making them feel welcome. Jawad brings a smile to all guests at his place. Jawad always looks for me when I arrive in the evening. We have conversation, and he makes special treats for me too.

I really appreciate Jawad, Maria, and the staff at this fine hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mr. Daimyo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased you had a nice stay with us and we are so looking forward to your next visit.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

What a great hotel. The room that I had was laid out perfectly, so huge and clean and bright. The bathroom was nice and well-stocked, although, the tub was slow to drain and it would have 1"-2" of water in it after a couple of minutes of using the shower. The (almost) full kitchen (no oven) was handy. The breakfast was one of the best with anything and everything ready to go. It literally was a huge selection and was always clean and well-stocked, even with the packed house of people in there. During weeknights they also have a manager's reception with a great, free meal and beer, wine, soda, ice tea, lemonade, etc. What a great deal. And, the super friendly gentleman in the dining area was fun and friendly, a great representative of the hotel, without question, as were the nice front desk folks.

The wireless internet connection was one of the worst that I've encountered, however. I had to use the hotspot on my phone for two days, I couldn't get a connection from the hotel wireless system, that was super disappointing. San Diego isn't exactly a technology backwater, I was surprised to not be able to use the hotel wireless. Also, the horrible DOOR SLAMMING was rampant here. Wow! Please, please, PLEASE add some door gasketing material around the doors and adjust the door closers!!! It's impossible to get guests to care enough about fellow guests to not let their doors slam behind them, but maybe some help in providing some adjustment on the door closers and some nice, soft, gasket material around the door frames would do a world of good for a tiny amount of money. It's one of the quality touches that this hotel deserves.

I would definitely recommend this hotel in a heartbeat and would stay here again when I'm in San Diego.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScottyG777
sasha M, Events Specialist at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear ScottyG

Thank you for writing such a nice and detailed review for us on Trip advisor.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and will absolutely look into adding something to the guest room doors to prevent slamming.

I hope you are able to come back again soon.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Due to business requirements, I travel quite a bit around the country. After trying hotels in the San Diego Sorrento Valley area, I keep coming back to the Sorrento Mesa/San Diego Residence Inn every time I am working in this area of San Diego. The reason for my utilization of this Residence Inn is because the staff at this property is exceptionally friendly. The Maintenance personnel, Front Desk associates, and Management makes me feel welcome and at home due to their top-notch greetings and great assistance. I usually stay at this hotel three times per year and about two to three weeks at the time. Thus far, the suites, breakfast area, exercise room, and grounds are kept nicely and very clean. Many times, I select this Residence Inn over other hotels in the area even if my clients are further then other hotels due to the pleasant atmosphere they have exhibited during my long stays. I would highly recommend this venue. (Marcelo G.)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasha M, Event Specialist at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Marcelo,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor.
I am so happy that you are enjoying your stays with us. If we can do anything to make you more comfortable please never hesitate to ask.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.