“Authentic Chinese”

Ranked #1,320 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Miramar
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Chin's is the only good authentic Chinese restaurant around that area, thus it is packed at night. Started going there 2 years ago, and when I went back this time, there is actually a waiting line.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This restaurant was a big disappointment. It was attached to the Holiday Inn Miramar and when I arrived at the hotel and checked in, the first thing I did was going to the Szechwan restaurant at 11.a.m because I had not had any breakfast. Two people from the hotel said it was very good. Well, I am sure there are good meals there, but what I had was of Chinese fast-food quality. I was very surprised it was Szechwan food.

The staff were extremely friendly and efficient. The restaurant also had a very good ambiance. The problem was the food. I ordered Szechwan garlic shrimps and asked for spice at level 4. ( It went from 1-5). First came a soup and some sauce and then a big plate that included the shrimps, brown rice (paid extra .50 cents), a small salad, a piece of brownie-like cake and a half of an orange. When I saw the shrimps soaked in soya sauce, I immediately lost my appetite. There were plenty of fried red peppers to make it spicy, but it was also full of sugar that one could not enjoy the spice. The salad was also coved with a sugary dressing, which made you want to stop eating it.

There were at least three staff memebrs who kept asking " how is it so far?". They were so very friendly and I did not have the heart to say that Panda Express made better Chinese food than this. But, I am sure there are good dishes that I did not try. So I would not say, one should not go to this restaurant. But, I do not think I will go there again.

4  Thank SunnyW358
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We've been going to chins a for many years. It is a far above average local restaurant staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The food is always fresh and made to order. The only problems I've encountered are waiting for a table or waiting for parking.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This review is for the dimsum and fried rice as we did not order from regular menu. We had the beef wrap, hot pot stickers, small steam pork dumplings, crispy tofu, hand-made dumplings,
cha chiang noodle, house special fried rice. All were very good except for the hand-made dumplings. We were quite disappointed with them. The service was so-so. We had to wave and work hard to get the server's attention.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

An unusual restaurant attached to a Holiday Inn. Recommended by several friends. My wife says it is a repeater. I was UNDERWHELMED!

Service was incredibly slow and we were there at 11:30 AM on a Wednesday. Most customers were from local business. I was optimistic due to the large number of Chinese customers.

Since it was our first time, we went for it..Hot and Sour Seafood soup, OK, but NOT HOT! Spicy Honey Shrimps, Tasty but SWEET, not SPICY! Spicy garlic scallops..totally disappointing. Not Garlic or HEAT! Scallops were cooked OK...BUT BLAND. My wife didn't care for them either! The crispy duck was nice, but the plum sauce was THICK AND SWEET! The Szechewan Braised Green Beans with Pork on the side were tender but again the promised spicy garlic sauce was BLAND! At least it wasn't sweet!

On the positive side this was the first time I tried Tsing Tao Draft. Smooth and Good.

As I said my wife said a repeater, I was UNDERWHELMED! If I returned I would have then TURN UP THE HEAT!