“Unique Thai Food - a lucky find”
Review of Bai Yook - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bai Yook
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 2 August 2010

After a day at the USS Midway and San Diego Zoo, we were driving back to our hotel and hoping to find someplace to stop and eat that was a change of pace from all of the burgers and mexican food we'd been eating on our vacation. What we found was a great little Thai place with delicious and unique-tasting dishes, a friendly staff, and a great atmosphere with a lovely little patio dining area decorated with twinkle lights and a fountain. The Panang Curry and Pad Thai were tasty, but the highlight was the "Crying Tiger" dish. Tender marinated garlic-pepper beef with a delicious (and hot!) chili-lime sauce, it certainly lived up to it's name as we were both crying but loving every minute of it. Had a great time, would definitely go back the next time we are in San Diego.

1  Thank y2mckay

Reviewed 17 July 2009

Since I've come back to the area, I dropped in for dinner for the first time in years. I was looking forward to my favorite Tom Yum soup to which no one really has compared to Bai Yook's during my travels. The age-less owner suggested Potak Hot Pot, a sort of deluxe Tom Yum with seafood. After the first sip, it was deja vu all over again. It was great to say the least. The hot broth was a perfect blend where I seemed to taste all flavors (hot and sour, chili, lemon grass, lime juice etc..) individually in my spoonfulls. And the plentiful seafood assortments (I loved the tender sole filet and shrimp particularily) was delicious and filling. However, did not leave without the infamous sticky rice with mango which was sweet and tasty. Credit Bai Yook for continually providing us with great Thai food over all these years.... I will return for more. Thumbs up!

2  Thank hartsandi
Reviewed 13 January 2009

When we used to live in the area (about 7 yrs ago) we went quite a bit and the food was really fresh and good. We happened to be in the area again and decided to go, this time with much different results. First, the place was empty (midweek) so the staff of 2 and the kitchen help decided to use all that free time to chat loudly while we tried to eat. Second, the fresh spring rolls were not as filled with fresh veggies as other Thai restaurants I have eaten at, and the spicy noodles were not all spicy. The icing on the cake was the wines by the glass - $8.50 for a very mediocre merlot is highway robbery, especially when that's about the average for an entree! We will not be going back - ever.

1  Thank winegirl2
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 June 2008

A Hidden Thai restaurant in Hillcrest...There carb fried rice is to die for!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook