“Diner food at it's best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rudford's Restaurant
Ranked #918 of 4,698 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
United States
“Diner food at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Return visit to San Diego and visiting our eating haunts. Breakfast and lunch at Rudford's was very delicious!

• Visited November 2012

San Diego
“50's style diner. Seat yourself. Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Breakfast are my fave here. Weekends there is a short wait. Cheap prices. Friendly staff. Pay at the cashier.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank pezdisney
Phoenix, Arizona
“A San Diego Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I always go to Rudfords when I get to San Diego. I used to go there a lot when I lived in the area. Its a classic diner, known for its reasonably priced food and waitresses that have been there for years. The only disappointment I had was in the area around the restaurant, many of the older bungelows that used to line the streets are gone, replaced by ugly condos! Such a shame, but at least Rudfords is still there!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Travelalot31310
San Diego, CA
“It's a Classic!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I've been going to Rudford's for over 55 years. My mother always wanted their fried oysters which they still serve. My husband and I go to this old diner for their fish. We enjoy their fish and chips better than any other restaurant in San Diego and the price can't be beat. They'll even grill you halibut if you request it because it is no longer on the menu and it is still a better price than any other place I know. If you order the fried chicken, get the half chicken; not the southern fried chicken breast. The pork chops are good, but a little tough.

The extras: The house salad with bleu cheese dressing is very good, but only if it is fresh. The romaine tends to wilt. My husband likes the clam chowder, but I don't. The house salad is fine, but nothing exceptional. The garlic toast is very good. The french fries are great. The au gratin potatoes are just okay. I usually order obrien potatoes, but you have to request them. The vegetables taste canned. Deserts are served with every full dinner. They usually have a choice ofpudding, custard, ice cream, and jello' When it is available, I love the butterscotch pudding and my husband loves the custard.

The bottom line: It is what it is: an old fashioned diner. You have to learn to pick and choose, but the fish is excellent. The service is great. The prices are outstanding. You can get a coupon on line.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Diego
“It's got history and comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

The food is plentiful, tasty and reasonably priced. They know how to cook a burger and make a malt, two of my favorite things. Friends have other favorites, so there is plenty there to please everyone.

Visited December 2011