“all american 24 hour diner”

Rudford's Restaurant
Ranked #1,040 of 4,991 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is one of the last independent 24 hours diners left in San Diego. The food is not bad. It is sometimes hit or miss. I would recommend sticking to the diner type foods like the sandwiches and burgers. Depending on the time of day you can see some interesting characters here and outside on the street. The service is good and interior is old school American diner. If you out late and hungry, this is the place to come to.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Salad, sirloin beef patty (6 in x 3.5 in and 3/4 in thick) plus cauliflour with cheese, mmmmm good, oh yes scoop ice cream for dessert. Total $15.71 with the coka cola. Great service, and staff was very polite. Lotta old folks eat there regularly. Young too. Been there since the 60's. A-

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Food is great! Nice place to sit and chat. Ate here twice during our visit. Lots of items on menu, classic diner feel.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Rudfords has been around forever and is apparently a sister to the Nob Hill restaurant. It's very inexpensive to eat here. Here is a tip. Get a token for the bathroom when you arrive otherwise you can't get in the bathroom. I had the fried cod and it came with mashed potatoes and a salad and mixed vegetables and garlic bread and dessert for $10.50. We also had the grilled red snapper. It had a bread crumb coating and was grilled. All the dinners come with the same accomplishments as the cod. The mixed vegetables could be improved. I think they are the frozen ones out of the package I fix at home. i chose the bread pudding for dessert and did not like it. My husband got vanilla ice cream and it was a huge serving with whipped cream on it. $27.00 including very fresh tasting iced tea. I would go back.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

My companion and I enjoyed a lovely three course dinner and the total bill including tip was less than $30 for two people. That would be lucky to purchase one (only) entree in Australia.

Our impressions were very similar to other reviewers and we enjoyed every minute of our visit. The server (a young guy) was very efficient but not overly friendly. That didn't bother us because he knew his food very well.

And of course our "funny" accents!

We arrived on the #6 bus from Fashion Valley Mall that stopped across the road. We returned downtown on bus #2 t(from around the corner) that took a reasonably direct route and terminated a short distance from our hotel.

Rudford's is a classic dining experience not to be missed and I recommend it to any other Australian or overseas visitor, even if you don't have a car to get around.