“Enjoyed Sunday Brunch with Friends”

Ortega's - A Mexican Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Ortega's - A Mexican Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #755 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd Avenue
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Enjoyed Sunday Brunch with Friends”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

5 of us decided to meet for brunch. Wait was a little over an hour which we knew would be the case. Walked around some of the local stores on University as it was a beautiful day. When we came back we went to the bar for a mimosa until table was ready. Our server Marco was very nice, helpful and attentive. In fact all the the staff we encountered were very nice and working hard to take care of the customers. Food was good and we would definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013

Chula Vista, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thought I was going to real Ortegas in Puerto Nuevo but ended up here”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

So I text my friend let's go eat lobster, she replies yes I am so excited I respond Ortega's I get another yes I am excited. So she comes to pick me up I stop to get cash I tell her I even got small bills for the Tolls, here is where it all goes North not South LoL.. she is like what tolls are there on University.. oh man on two different pages but I heard it was owned by the same family. So we head out for Lunch ... Get there greeted right away and we chose to sit in the Cantina nice area. Our waiter was quick to get to us we ordered the ceviche which was really good and on happy hour. Also ordered a couple margarita on happy hour as well mango mint margarita is a must I didn't order this I ordered the pom margarita .. bad choice not very good you could leave that one off your list. But the Mango Mint so yummy. And then to try the lobster it was $39 Market Price for a pretty decent size lobster , served with beans, rice (okay),flour tortillas. I wanted to order tortilla soup to keep it like I was in Puerto Nuevo but there were to many things inside that soup not like the broth little bit of cheese and a few chips and avocado. I disn't want to be dissapointed so I didnt' try it. But the Lobster was good not great like Puerto Nuevo, but let's say this if you dont' want to cross the border and you are craving Puerto Nuevo style lobster this is the place to go. I will be going back their happy hour is very tempting. Also the waiter did say if you call and make a reservation for a party of 6 or more the lobster is a little bit cheaper I think he said like 5 dollars less and it comes with avocado.

• Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“Best Mexcian this side of the border”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Being a local I am SUPER picky about my Mexican food. This place NEVER disappoints. The service is a little hit and miss and It gets super noisy for Sunday brunch..but, otherwise relaxing. Drinks are amazing (prickly pear mimosas, sangria..delicious). Breakfast: Carnitas Hash, Chilaquiles, and (believe it or not) the best french toast I have EVER, had! For happy hour: (happy hour is inexpensive) Tacos, and guacamole (made at your table) are 1/2 off, a terrific value. Drinks are cheap too. Dinner: Banana encrusted Huachinango, Mahi Mahi Tacos. This place puts most "Mexican" restaurants to shame.

Visited May 2013
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Delicious Mexican food”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

A quick review on this restaurant. We randomly picked this place for a late lunch. It offers amazing Mexican food. The guacamole is freshly made at the table and tastes amazing. We also had the beef burrito, which was one of the best I have ever had.

The staff was friendly and the service was very good. The restaurant also provides outdoor seating, which I would recommend on a hot day. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful and the bathroom was nice and clean.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“great mexican food”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I chose this place on the basis of the tripadvisor reviews, and I was not disappointed. I am allergic to shellfish, and so I couldn't try the lobster, but I had the snapper (Banana Crusted Huachinango) and it was excellent. I cannot remember the last time I had mexican food this good in a long while (and I lived in Northern California for ten years). Flavours were not too intense and were well balance. Fresh, thick corn tortillas. Service was friendly and good. I sat outside on the small patio. The University St. vibe was enjoyable on a sunny Sunday evening although the bar across the street was ridiculously loud. Other reviews have mentioned the parking situation. The lot for this mini strip mall only holds about ten cars, and there was a constant stream of cars driving through the lot not finding a spot. I biked here so no worries.

• Visited April 2013