“Can't Wait to Return!”

Van Rensselaer's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Van Rensselaer's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cape Cod Seafood & Wellfleet Shellfish, Angus Beef & Prime Rib, Vegan & Gluten-Free Selections, Deliciously Fresh Salad Bar, Friendly Bar with Nice Wines, Local Brews, Fun Martinis, and Casual & Comfortable!
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Due to a glowing recommendation from John at Eagle Wing Motel/Eastham (plz see my TripAdvisor review), my husband and I dined at VR's Sat night (5/26); loved it so much that we returned Mon (5/28) prior to leaving the Cape. Delicious is a vast understatement! Yes! I was the person who insisted on taking pictures of our dinners!! Entrees were beautifully plated, displaying a wonderful array of flavors! I had the potato encrusted salmon (both nights). it was 'to die for'. My husband had cajun cod Sat night; baked scallops on Monday. He enjoyed them both. The Salad Bar is plentiful (both standard 'salad stuff' and what I call 'marinades/relishes'); a perfect complement to the entrees. I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

Wait staff, especially Cate, were great! Prices are incredibly reasonable! The casual yet 'classy' ambiance exudes the owners' high quality standards and their passion to please the customer. Wish there were another VRs close to Boston!! We'll just have to come back to Wellfleet!

2  Thank snw-bri

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Starting with the owners who go out of their way to make you comfortable, to the servers who make sure you have what you want, to the salad bar which we LOVE, to the Bistro menu which appeals to our aging appetites...this is a very wonderful experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Ate here for the first time this year.....always reliable.....food was excellent...service could be better.....waiters friendly.....not rushed....once again a good meal as it has been for many years....

Reviewed 23 May 2012

...after a long hot day at the beach you want to just sit in some airconditioned dining room or a breezeway veranda and be served some of the most lucious seafood fresh from Wellfleet Harbor...and the Martini's are awesome!...very cool place

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Went with a date May 15, 2012. We ordered from the price fixed menu, $27 included an appetizer, entree, and desert. I chose clam chowder, my friend got the salad bar which was large and diverse. The clam chowder, although tasty, was tepidly warm - there is no reason they could not have served it hot. It was a chilly night, and the restaurant was cool. I wished I had brought a heavy sweater, although I was wearing a turtleneck, cords, and a wool vest.
We both ordered the grilled tuna which came with asparagus: it was good, a pungent pepper sauce, and the tuna was not overcooked, although they were pretty stingy with the asparagus (odd place to save money) - I would have paid an extra couple of dollars for a few more spears of asparagus. Again, the food was served not quite hot enough. I'm wondering if there's a problem in the kitchen, between getting the food cooked, and getting it to the table?
We each ate about 1/2 our desert - not worth finishing.
Server was very friendly - poor rating for the temperature of the food which had to have come from it sitting around waiting for the server to pick it up for several minutes, although as late as we went, the restaurant was almost empty.

7  Thank UsuallyEasyTPlease