“They do everything right”
Review of Moby Dick's

Moby Dick's
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Takeout
Description: Closed for the winter. See you May 2017 When we first opened Moby Dick’s in ‘83, we had no idea we’d become an establishment on Cape Cod. We simply wanted to start a BYOB restaurant that had fresh seafood, a relaxed environment, and a friendly staff that would make people feel at home. Well, three decades later, we’re still doing exactly that, opening every season in May to the delight of locals and visitors alike. Some people stop in for our lobster rolls while others come for an old-fashioned bucket of steamers. But everyone knows they can come to us for fresh family fun and a dining experience in Wellfleet they'll never forget.
Vieques
“They do everything right”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We love this restaurant -- quintessentially Cape Cod. My wife and I live in nearby Truro and stopped in the other night for the new summer season. Wait staff is largely made up young women from Poland, Russia, UK, etc., and are delightful. Woman at the next table returned her fish for being too underdone, and the chef came out to personally take care of her. After she received another piece of fish, he came back to make sure she was satisfied. The owner stopped by to chat with us and with all the other diners. The food is impeccable, we've found over the years. The lines out the door during summer are testimony to the great reputation of Moby Dick's -- but even the line moves quickly!

MobyDicks33, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your extremely kind words and for letting us know something with your order was not quite right. You gave us a chance to "fix it" and I hope we did. Best, Todd

• Korean first
Warner Robins, GA
“Lobster demo helpful”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were nearing the end of our time on the Cape and still seeking a reasonable lobster meal. Moby Dick's offers an interesting system. You place your order from many choices on a board...the menu only show "MP" so you have to go inside to see what the market price is for that day. They are flexible with substituting sides. One lobster and two ears of corn were the "meal". You can order four sizes at four different prices, so nice options. Two of our group split one medium lobster with an extra order of corn and were satisfied. A staff person stopped by when the lobster was delivered and offered a helpful demo which made eating much easier and we were able to get all the meat out. The fried shrimp was tasty. Grandchildren disappointed chicken fingers had no honey mustard for dipping. A Cape Cod green salad with pears, cranberries, pecans, cheese, raspberry vinegarette dressing was so huge it took as long to eat as dismantling the lobster...delicious, too. Once you place your order, you find a seat and they deliver purchased drinks and food. Tap water is self serve in small cups which meant someone was constantly having to go for refills and condiments. Staff all friendly.

MobyDicks33, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear cjds Thank you for your review. We just had a lobster cracking class for our servers so it is nice to hear that it was time well spent! Hope you'll stop in again the next time you are this way. Oh, we hear you and have just ordered some honey mustard sauce for the chicken nuggets!
Naugatuck, CT
“Burnt and expensive items bring rating down”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We've been to Moby Dick's a few times now between last year and now. We're generally pleased with our dinners. Some items they excel at and some could use a bit of tweaking. This time around, we were surprised to have a few situations where items were burned and also, in looking at the on-line menu as I type the review, how much we overpaid for a cheeseburger.

Today, I got the broiled scallops, which were tender and perfectly cooked. Could've used some butter dripped over them, although according to the on-line menu, they're cooked in butter. The tartar sauce was a bit congealed, so I pretty much ate the scallops with just a sprinkle of lemon juice and sea salt. The rice pilaf was very tasty. I was looking forward to the grilled asparagus, but the tender tips, which are generally the best part, were burnt to a crisp. That's not grilled folks, that's burned. The seafood gumbo had a kick to it with a few good size pieces of fish in it. It was good. The lemonade was tart enough to make my mouth pucker.

My husband had the Moby Special (bacon cheeseburger). He had rated it very high last year, but this year, it arrived medium rare, rather than medium well, plus, the bun had been tossed on the grill and was very blackened. Whomever is working the grill needs some lessons in finesse. He absolutely loved his strawberry frappe and said it reminded him of old-fashioned strawberry ice cream.

While we were ordering, the cashier was looking at the board saying "I'm trying to find you the best deal on your cheeseburger". She said she was trying to save us money, as he didn't want the lettuce and tomato which typically come on it. He just showed me the receipt and, if I compare what she chose for a "cost saver" to the on-line menu, we could've saved probably $5 by just building his burger instead of the Moby Burger. That's disappointing.

On a side note, two servers were outside on break (I presume) when we arrived. One of the young ladies was sitting right outside the guest entrance, smoking a cigarette. The way the wind was blowing, the smoke was going right in through the door. Not cool.

Also, prices may have gone up. For our simple dinners, it costs about $50.00. The prices and the lack of quality control at the grill may force our hand in whether or not to visit this restaurant again, sad to say.

MobyDicks33, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Lynda B, Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to write your comments. I am sorry that you experienced a few problems with the preparation of your order. I have spoken to our kitchen manager and he will speak to our kitchen staff. That said, when you are here (and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you) if EVER anything is not quite right please let us know and we will take care of it right away. Our goal is to make sure that everyone who walks out the door is very happy and completely satisfied!
It is our policy that staff members are never allowed to smoke on the premises. Thank you for mentioning this as we will use this opportunity to explain to the staff why we have this policy in the first place.
Thank you again for your extensive comments. I hope you will come in again. If you do ask for me and I will personally take care of you and show you how good we are! best, Todd Barry (Owner)
omaha
“Good lunch stop”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped for lunch on our way down the cape. It was very quiet so we had fast service. You order at the counter and they bring you the food in baskets. Plastic silverware if needed. We had pretty decent clam chowder, lobster roll, calm roll and hamburgers. It was pricey for what we got but not out of bounds for the area. We paid $85 for lunch for 5 with soda/tea.

MobyDicks33, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your comments.
Avon Park
“Finally got my scallops and clams”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had read about Moby Dick's prior to my trip from FL to Ma and had put it on my must do list. I did have several suggestions to try other places but I was determined that I experience Moby Dick's. I arrived about 5:30 on a Friday night which was fortunate as it was just starting to get busy. The menu is posted on chalk boards as you enter and I agonized over my selection. It all sounded so good. I had hoped to select the large variety seafood platter that was listed but it had cod , which I do not eat. I inquired if I could choose that and skip the cod and just have them substitute it with additional scallops, clams, or shrimp instead. They were not allowed to do that. Huh..go figure...but I chose another selection that they were able to split order- scallops and whole clams with fries and coleslaw. It was less than the platter and I got to have the seafood that I had dreamed of having again after so long. Florida is gorgeous and I love so much about it but they just cannot compete with New England seafood! I have so so missed the fresh seafood especially the clams and scallops...they just do not taste like "home". The girls seemed uncomfortable that they were not able to allow me to have the platter minus the cod, which was sweet. I would have loved to enjoy all my favs while home for the few days I had but I do understand that they were not able. I still savored what I had chosen and took my time to enjoy it. The atmosphere was very rustic and simple. So to me, that meant that they were putting all their efforts into great food and not silly frills or gimmicks. I was stuffed after my meal but ordered dessert to go. I brought a piece of fudgy wudgy chocolate cake back to my hotel with me. I enjoyed it after a swim so that I would not feel so guilty. It was moist, creamy and wonderful. It was nice that they included a fork, napkin and whipped cream in the bag...very thoughtful. I raved about my experience to my friends the next day. Despite not being able to have "it my way", I really was so happy to finally get my scallops and clams. It was just like rolling back the hands of time, like going as a child with my dad for clams and scallops. You just miss the seafood when you leave New England and nobody has seafood like Cape Cod.

MobyDicks33, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear leprechaunshag, Thank you for visiting Mobys and for your extensive review. I am glad you got your clams and scallops and that they were everything you hoped they would be! I would, however, l like to explain the situation with our seafood special. This meal consists of codfish, clams, scallops, and shrimp. From experience we have come to realize that in the height of the season it is operationally extremely difficult to be able to do substitutions on this dish and get it out in a prompt and consistent manner. It is because of this that we are unable to make changes or substitutions on this one item. That said, we take a lot of pride in saying yes to any and all requests. We are able to do half and half on any fried seafood platters and we also do small tasting portions too. I hope this explanation makes sense to you and that you will visit us again in the future. best, Todd Barry (Owner)