“Woodsy retreat near ocean and bay”

Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellfleet
Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 10 Wellfleet B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Woodsy retreat near ocean and bay”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The owners of Chez Sven know exactly how to create a private haven and perfectly appointed rooms. Don't count on having a living room space to hang out in with other guests. Rather, enjoy the beauty of your room or suite and the lovely gardens. Quick drive or bike ride to the ocean, ponds, bay and downtown. Perfect for those "washashores" who have established routines and favorites, but also great for newbies: owner Alexandra has written about Wellfleet and can advise in detail.

Room Tip: the General's Green room is just right for those who want to dine out, but have a small fridge f...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 16 August 2011

What a fantastic spot to stay for the last leg of our first trip to the USA. Having spent 8 days in the busy cities of New York and Boston it was amazing to arrive at Chez Sven. The setting in the woods was just perfect for a 6 day stay. We had booked the Liberty Coin Suite and the extra downstairs room so our two teenages had a bedroom each. The beauty of staying in a B & B is that you are in someones home so it is lovely to be among their paintings,books and furnishings. Everywhere was clean and tidy and very comfortable. Sandy greeted us on arrival with maps and lots of information to make our trip a good one including the local ponds, places to eat and sandy beaches that went for miles. We were able to get a parking permit for the local beaches as previously mentioned. The breakfasts were great a choice of three times were offered and each morning fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola accompanied by fresh baked products, all delicious. Sandy provided chocolate milk for my daughter and even packed up warm scones for our journey as the children hadn't eaten them at breakfast on our last day! If you get the chance ask Sandy about her amazing family history. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return, Sven and Sandy are great hosts, nothing is too much trouble. Staying in a B & B like Chez Sven adds something special to a holiday and you get a real sense of what it is like to live in Wellfleet.

Room Tip: Liberty coin suite great if you have children with you
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Helena W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This time, I brought my college-age daughters, who, as I anticipated, fell in love with Chez Sven, Sandy and Sven. Staying here provides a quiet secluded refuge after the summer scene in Wellfleet. Every little touch makes me feel relaxed -- the lavender sachet, the breakfast table set outside, and the new roses out front.

Room Tip: Each room/suite is different, so make sure you understand which is which, especially because one sui...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Whately, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2011

What a great visit to the Cape! We were both stressed out and needed a break, and we found Chez Sven when we were randomly searching Bed & Breakfasts on-line. We stayed in the Green Room, as the other rooms were booked solid pretty much right through the summer. The B&B is lovely, nestled in the scrub woods off of Route 6. Far enough away from the traffic so that you do not hear the noise, but so conveniently located as to make visits to the beach and Wellfleet center very easy and quick. If you get a beach pass for your car you can visit any number of beaches in the area for a very reasonable price. Ask Alexandra & Sven how to get one before you arrive or when you get there.
The room was lovely, the bed was super comfortable with very soft sheets & quilt, lots of pillows to choose from and extra blankets in the room if you need one in the night. They have a great selection of books if you forgot yours. The room was very private with it's own entrance and parking spot. Breakfast was fantastic, with all organic produce & granola. Yogurt with mixed fruits, blueberry juice, freshly baked scones, lovely dishes, silver spoons, and truly some amazing coffee. If you are like us, and fear watered down weak coffee, you do not have to worry about it at Chez Sven! The coffee is robust, full, rich and lively. I cannot remember who Alexandra said she gets the coffee from, but it was fair-trade and organic. Really excellent and freshly ground each morning.
Someone else in a review had some complaints about worn furnishings, and the lived in kitchen & sitting room.... I beg to differ in our opinion here. It didn't seem to me that anything was worn or in disrepair at all. Our rooms felt fresh and clean and airy, the carpet was a lovely pastel green with other pastel patterns and didn't look worn out to me at all. There is a nostalgic feel, sentimental with antique silverware, carved wooden egrets, but still there is a modern clean feel. The kitchen is warm and inviting, and was clean and tidy when we had to have our breakfast inside one morning due to rain. Alexandra was gracious and very attentive to our needs, and we had great conversations with her during breakfast. She is very concerned for the environment and champions her causes without being preachy, more in a factual manner. This concern translates into the way she operates her B&B and cares for her guests, using natural cleaning products and offering organic local produce. We were very appreciative of her care and knowledge about being "green". I have a slight chemical sensitivity, especially to strong perfumes and cleaning agents. I did not have any issues at all with sheets, towels, soap, or anything I came in contact with at the B&B. I know this is an important issues for many people, so you can be pretty sure that you will not be affected by any cleaning agents that are noxious. Although I'm sure that depends on your level of sensitivity!
Anyway, to sum this up before I write a novel, Chez Sven is an excellent choice, we have already booked the Seagull suite for September!! See you there,
Best,
Briana & Jeff
(Thank you Alexandra! & we can't wait to meet Sven in September)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank btaylorquilts
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I stayed at Chez Sven on an impulse. They'd had a cancellation on a holiday weekend. I needed a break. So I committed and made the drive. I'm so glad I did. The B&B is in a great, quiet location. The gardens are beautiful. The grounds serene and calming. Sandy and Sven are the most hospitable B&B owners I've ever met--and I've met many. Sven even entertained my young daughter by pretending to be different monsters, getting her to laugh non stop. I thought Sandy and Sven were graciously accommodating. One other couple who was staying there made special requests for the breakfast, and Sandy made it happen. I personally love the green nature of the B&B. It's nice to stay in a place that I know is not harmful to the planet. Everything served at breakfast was fresh, organic and local. Only non toxic cleansers and shampoos are offered in the rooms--and most if not all are made locally. The B&B is about a 3-5 minute drive from an ocean beach and within walking distance of a pond that one can swim in. I can't think of a better place to stay. I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AlisaBow
Sharon, MA
Reviewed 3 June 2011

There are definitely lots of positive qualities to Chez Sven: the quiet location up a dirt road off of Route 6, only a few minutes' drive from Wellfleet Center; the lovely gardens surrounding the house; and the pleasant proprietors, Sandy and Sven, who (as Sandy said) give people lots of space and privacy. All of that makes for a very relaxed setting.

That said -- and we say this with some reluctance -- we were much less enthused about our stay at Chez Sven than others who've reviewed the B&B on Trip Advisor. It didn't help that Sandy was very much under the weather during our visit and that, as a result, the "wholesome breakfast" that we'd been looking forward to sampling (based on other reviewers' comments, as well as the description on the B&B Web site) wasn't part of our stay (except for the homemade yogurt).

But even apart from that, the B&B was much less of a value than other B&Bs we've visited on Cape Cod. While we understand the charm and coziness that some people find in well-worn furnishings (e.g., the well-worn rug in our room, the Green Room) or cluttered common spaces (e.g., the very much lived-in kitchen or the small sitting area off of it), these qualities came as a surprise to us, given the impression presented on the B&B Web site and (again) the comments of other reviewers. In the end, while we still managed to enjoy our stay, it left us feeling that we paid somewhat more for our visit than was warranted.

If you're looking for a relaxed getaway in a rustic setting where you can stay with some very nice and interesting people, then Chez Sven is worth considering as an off-the-beaten path option in Wellfleet.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank DGandSAG
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Wellfleet is a gem of a town & Chez Sven's is well located, although we missed the turn-off to the Old King's Hwy (low hanging branch). Bring your bikes - makes beaches accessible and great for end of day trips to Long Pond for a swim . The innkeepers are very accommodating, very responsive. We booked the Green Room. We asked about DVD player, which not part of room, but they accommodated us by finding one, which added to our stay. The offer of fresh towels would have been welcomed, given the humidity, beaching & biking. Access to a indoor or outdoor sitting area would have added to our stay as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FrodoBiggles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellfleet
The Wagner at Duck Creek
Wellfleet Motel
Wellfleet Motel
#2 of 4 in Wellfleet
Viking Shores Motor Inn

Been to Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!