Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast
Wellfleet Motel(Wellfleet)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$89
Official Site
Southfleet Motor Inn(Wellfleet)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$140
US$133
US$111
US$102
Blue Dolphin Inn(Eastham)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$63
Midway Motel(Eastham)(Great Value!)
US$99
Hotels.com
Viking Shores Motor Inn(Eastham)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$88
US$115
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Both my husband and I love Cape Cod and try to visit it every year. Unfortunately, our old inn-keeper closed her business, so we had to look for a different place to stay this summer, July 29th-Aug.2d. After browsing through the names and comments I decided on Chez Sven in Wellfleet. $200 a night, Green room, check for 4 nights in Alexandra Grabbe's name was sent forward,- avanti!

We almost broke the muffler on the dirt road to the house, but had much fun jumping in the air instead. Vacation time it was! The Green room was dark and small for the two of us: there was just one arm-chair to sit, so if I wanted to read and had SOME light I had to do it on the bed. I didn't like dirty windows but the fresh flowers on the table next to the bed was a better object to see. There was no lock in the door, so there was no need to worry about the key. A small green-black-white-tile-decorated bathroom was separated from the room by a pocket door, and had nowhere to keep the usual toiletries, so they were placed on the floor, next to the black radiator. The tub itself probably didn't remember the last time it was properly cleaned, and a cheap liner without a traditional curtain couldn't hide it. The towel set of black and beige was incomplete but I hoped it would at least be replaced and the room be cleaned. Never happened. Nor was the room ever vacuumed. Both the room and the bathroom had a fan, but no AC, which is a disaster this summer. It was always foggy in the bathroom and hot and musty in the room.

Organic granola with a tiny bit of yogurt was served along with buns from the local bakery for 4 breakfasts in a row. There was never enough coffee for 4 adults. Nothing was offered when I never touched a shop-baked muffin or didn't eat the granola. One flavor of tea was available.

But the sun-sets at Duck Harbor are still the best! And yes, we love Cape Cod.Just will have better luck next time..

Room Tip: sorry, I can't recommend it for any traveler...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TGaines
Alexandra G, Owner at Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

I am very sorry the reviewer did not appreciate our Green Room. She neglected to say that I had Lyme disease over the summer. If she had read the write-up on our Web site, she would have known to expect non-GMO granola, fresh organic fruit, organic yogurt, and baked goods for breakfast. I happen to remember this couple served themselves copiously, so I do not understand her comment about the “tiny bit of yogurt.” Actually, everyone at the table had seemed to enjoy the Flying Fish bakery items on the second day, so I had fetched sticky buns for everyone on the last day, since that was the item I heard complimented. I always make more coffee if guests request more. We also have multiple flavors of tea. It is simple to ask. She didn’t. Instead she preferred to announce she always has smoothies made with fruit and ginger for breakfast at home, as if to see whether I could cater to that request. She also told me four times she is a regular contributor to Trip Advisor, so I was expecting this negative review but could not respond until our return from vacation.

Here at Chez Sven, we treat guests like family. I am the manager/owner. Our three-bedroom B&B is not a hotel. We expect people to make their own beds. There is no key to the Green Room door, but we provide privacy by shutting the pocket door to our part of the house. I usually do not enter the bedroom once a guest has taken possession, unless asked to do so.

We thoroughly clean the bathtub before all new guests arrive, so that comment is really a cheap shot. Had she told me that she found the bathroom fogged up from showers, I would have suggested she open the large skylight above the bathtub.

The dirt road is part of the charm of this part of Wellfleet. It is a scenic road, preserved for all time.

We are a green B&B, so no AC. Fans, instead. The Green Room has four windows. What this Trip Advisor reporter refers to as “a cheap liner” is actually a non-toxic shower curtain from Snow’s Department Store in Orleans. I am not sure what she means about “the towel set” being incomplete. We provide two large bath towels, one hand towel, and washcloths. In summer, guests can hang the towels outside on the line if they so desire or ask me to put them in the drier. I keep additional towels in the Green Room chest of drawers. Did she look? Apparently not.

I happen to remember that I cleaned the windows the week before. Sven and I had booked the whole B&B to a family from Europe for the following three weeks, so I know when I cleaned what. I had to pace myself because of the Lyme disease. The windows were not dirty.

As stated above, I was recovering from a serious ailment, so was not able to be as social as usual. I don’t think this guest liked that either, although she did say she was familiar with Lyme, living in CT. Oh. She forgot to mention that here, didn’t she?

I wouldn’t have minded someone pointing out we need to repaint the bathroom. That would have been a legitimate concern. Upon our return from Sweden, I discovered paint flaking from the steam that was not allowed to escape through an opened skylight.

It is really a shame some travelers get off on writing negative reviews here at Trip Advisor.

I hope future guests will take our other positive reviews into account and visit our Web site where I have copied out guestbook comments from nine years of successful innkeeping.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed in the smaller room (with the twin bed) of the Liberty Coin Suite at Chez Sven in late June. I was in Wellfleet for a poetry intensive, and Chez Sven was an ideal setting for reflection and writing following my morning classes. Alexandra was extremely accommodating when it came to making the stay comfortable, pointing out local spots to explore, and providing a generous breakfast each morning. She made French toast twice after asking about my preferences--a very nice touch! It was also great to connect with her about writing and her experiences living abroad. Being in the company of kindred spirits is always part of the fun of staying at a B&B, and Chez Sven more than delivers on that.

Room Tip: Keep your window open at night, and you'll enjoy the sweet wake-up call from the birds in the morning. Weeks later, I'm still missing that part of my stay at Chez Sven!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank emilysfurrow
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The owners of Chez Sven know exactly how to create a private haven and perfectly appointed rooms. Don't count on having a living room space to hang out in with other guests. Rather, enjoy the beauty of your room or suite and the lovely gardens. Quick drive or bike ride to the ocean, ponds, bay and downtown. Perfect for those "washashores" who have established routines and favorites, but also great for newbies: owner Alexandra has written about Wellfleet and can advise in detail.

Room Tip: the General's Green room is just right for those who want to dine out, but have a small fridge for drinks, snacks and leftovers.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2011

What a fantastic spot to stay for the last leg of our first trip to the USA. Having spent 8 days in the busy cities of New York and Boston it was amazing to arrive at Chez Sven. The setting in the woods was just perfect for a 6 day stay. We had booked the Liberty Coin Suite and the extra downstairs room so our two teenages had a bedroom each. The beauty of staying in a B & B is that you are in someones home so it is lovely to be among their paintings,books and furnishings. Everywhere was clean and tidy and very comfortable. Sandy greeted us on arrival with maps and lots of information to make our trip a good one including the local ponds, places to eat and sandy beaches that went for miles. We were able to get a parking permit for the local beaches as previously mentioned. The breakfasts were great a choice of three times were offered and each morning fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola accompanied by fresh baked products, all delicious. Sandy provided chocolate milk for my daughter and even packed up warm scones for our journey as the children hadn't eaten them at breakfast on our last day! If you get the chance ask Sandy about her amazing family history. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return, Sven and Sandy are great hosts, nothing is too much trouble. Staying in a B & B like Chez Sven adds something special to a holiday and you get a real sense of what it is like to live in Wellfleet.

Room Tip: Liberty coin suite great if you have children with you
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Helena W
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This time, I brought my college-age daughters, who, as I anticipated, fell in love with Chez Sven, Sandy and Sven. Staying here provides a quiet secluded refuge after the summer scene in Wellfleet. Every little touch makes me feel relaxed -- the lavender sachet, the breakfast table set outside, and the new roses out front.

Room Tip: Each room/suite is different, so make sure you understand which is which, especially because one suite has a steep staircase.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family