“Find another location!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Longmont, Colorado
“Find another location!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

After spending 2 nights in this inn, my recommendation is do yourself a favor and find another location!!!! The first night I called, left a message and could not for the life of me get a call back, nor any comment concerning my call the next morning at breakfast! The second night the fireplace wasn't working correctly, and although I did eventually figure out how to go around their in room phone system (which also did not work) by calling from my cell phone, I then needed to fiddle with the battery system myself each time. I received my final bill via email, on which I was charged for a coffee cup, which I never took, or have any desire to have. I guess out of the 15-18 guests, if they are missing a coffee cup, it must be the couple, of which one is black. I was not asked at which point I would have cleared this up immediately, but instead they just tack on the cost of 20.00 for one of their stupid coffee cups. Let me make this clear, I have stayed at numerous bed and breakfasts all over this world, never have I been treated in this manner. So if being ignored, sleeping like crap, no way to control the temperature in your room, dealing with an inn keeper who comes off as being above anyone in her space, having someone immediately suspect you of theft is you cup of tea, then by all means stay here!! But if not, please find another location!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Brigitt1977
whitedoeinn, Owner at The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
It is always hard to learn that one of your guests did not have a good experience at your inn. At such times we struggle to figure out what we could have done differently. In this case, I feel that this is more an attack on me as the innkeeper/owner: that I was discriminatory towards these guests. Nothing could be further from the truth. In twenty years we have welcomed and served many international and ethic individuals with no concern as to their race. I can only apologize for any misunderstandings or feelings they may have thought were extended towards them. Certainly, none were intended.
In regards to the fireplace and telephone, we responded in a timely manner. Perhaps the staff person on duty that night was taking care of another guest (since the inn was full) and was unable to respond immediately. I know that my husband responded within a few minutes to get the fireplace working. In a world where we are providing services and amenities that involve electrical, internet and batteries things do malfunction and we have to correct the problem as soon as we can. Our guests are usually very understanding.
Regarding the charge of the mug … the morning our guests were checking out there were a number of guests trying to check out at the same time. In addition, we had another couple with the same last name as these guests and I mistakenly charged the mug to the wrong couple. Within five minutes (after they had already left the premises), I realized that I had made the charge to the wrong couple and voided it. The charge was never made against their cc account. However, an automatic email invoice was automatically sent for the original incorrect invoice. And second correct invoice was sent within 10 minutes. I explained this to the lady by telephone.
In twenty years of operating The White Doe Inn we have had no thefts either in our inn or gift shop. We never even consider this as a possibility and in some areas we operate by the honor system. Therefore, what was in fact an honest mistake seems to have been interpreted as a discriminatory situation and expressed as an accusation that I consider to be a problem the guests must be dealing with, perhaps from a previous experience of their own. I regret that they felt they were treated in this manner at our inn.
We do appreciate the feedback since it is our policy to take seriously any review, both good and bad. Our policy is always “What could we have done to have made a difference in the experience for this guests and future guests”. As always, I recommend that a guest that is not having a good experience speak with the Owner or Manager during their stay in an effort to correct the problem. This often results in a better resolution, both for the guest and the Owner/Innkeeper.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Maiden, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The white Doe Inn is a wonderfull B&B. The feel is of times gone by, The staff and owners were very helpful and their suggestions of things to do were on target. The breakfast and its presentation was wonderful. At the White Doe you almost feel like you are at home, Its all very comfortable and relaxed. Its one of the cleanest places we have ever stayed and I would certinly stay there again!

Carolyn & Dwight Ramseur

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Everything was wonderful. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, the breakfast was spectacular and well planned, and the service was delightful. We had a wonderful time relaxing at the house; we enjoyed Bob's movie collection, and Bebe's conversation at breakfast. Sara was fantastic and made sure we had everything taken care of before our arrival.

The house was simply splendid with great decor, and a warm cozy feeling throughout. I think our favorite part was the three-course breakfast. It was just a fantastic experience and if you are looking for accommodations in the area- STOP! This is where you'll want to stay!

A very big thank you to everyone at the White Doe for making our stay so special!

Room Tip: The Garden room has an outside access if you like to have your own private entrance. We found it ve...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Charlotte NC
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We spent the last 2 nights of our Outer Banks vacation at the White Doe Inn which was wonderful. We were warmly greeted by Sarah who checked us in and gave us the tour, including the goodies laid out on the table. The breakfasts outside were delicious and so enjoyable talking with the other guests and Bob and Bebe. Sarah made reservations for us at a delightful waterfront restaurant for dinner. Our stay could not have been better...lovely innkeepers, great accommodations and food and you meet the nicest people at B&Bs. Pete and Myra Rounds

Room Tip: We stayed in the East Lake room which has a nice balcony that adjoins the balcony of the next room a...
Evans, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This Inn was a culmination of perfection. Manteo is the perfect setting on a quiet island with beautiful weather. Combine that with the kindest people who we now feel that we've known all of our lives and you will find a little bit of heaven. I can say that we had the most relaxing and pleasurable trips to one of the most unique places we've stayed. The measure of a good time is the sadness you feel when it's over. This was the feeling as we left today. What a great memory and a joyful realization to know that we will return to Manteo to visit with Bebe and Bob and their wonderful staff very soon. Thanks to all for for making our 37th anniversary so special. We highly recommend the White Doe Inn.
John and Sheree Acree

Room Tip: Walk to the beautiful destinations in Manteo and climb the lighthouses. Pools and fitness centers wi...
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Wonderful property, wonderful people. Open and welcoming. The inn is beautiful. Breakfast was served outdoors and was excellent as was the afternoon snacks. A little wine bar was available that we used to entertain guests. Our room was impeccable. One nice touch was that every day our room was serviced perfectly while we ate breakfast, I used the bikes made available to the guests for a nice ride.

Room Tip: Turret Room!
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at The White Doe Inn for three nights, using Manteo as our home base while visiting the Outer Banks area. We were very pleased with our accomadations and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Sarah greeted us upon our arrival and Bob and Bebe were excellent hosts. The town of Manteo was a nice surprise for us as we had focused on adventures along the Outer Banks from Corolla to Cape Hatteras. The waterfront in Manteo offered many quaint little shoppes that were well worth exploring. We accomplished all of our planned activiites as well as some add on adventures in the area. The White Doe Inn was an excellent choice for both a relaxing extended weekend and a central point to explore the Outer Banks area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the East Lake room and found it to be very accommodating. The claw foot bathtub is fitt...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JBill63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Hamilton Cay at Bermuda Bay
Hamilton Cay at Bermuda Bay
#15 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Cambridge Cove At Bermuda Bay
Cambridge Cove At Bermuda Bay
#17 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!