“Very Disappointed. Poorly managed. Noisy at night. Not Tranquil at all.”
Review of Tranquil House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
Tranquil House Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very disappointed. Nice location and appearance but very poorly managed. I stayed in a 2 room suite (#30) which is on the second floor directly above the restaurant and public restrooms. The restaurant/bar is supposed to close at 9 pm but they let people stay and party until after 11 pm. This makes sleep in room 30 impossible due to hearing all of the conversations, loud laughter and clanking dishes. Also, the fans in the men's and women's restrooms are installed incorrectly and when turned on, actually shake the floor and walls in the bedroom of room #30. It sounds like a mini jackhammer. I had to go downstairs to complain to the front desk 3 times between 10:30 pm and 11:15 pm about turning the fans off. When I asked them to put a note in the bathroom to not use the fans, or to simply tape the switches in the off position for the night, I was told by the front desk worker that she could not do that. On my third trip downstairs to complain, the manager finally agreed to tape them in the off position. When I told her that I wanted to check out the next day (did not think paying nearly $300 per night was worth the poor service) I was told I could not get a refund for the next night. After complaining about it, manager agreed to give me an additional 10% off which they did not honor for the entire bill when I did check out. Overall, very dissatisfied which is a shame because the town of Manteo is beautiful. We will never stay there again. Recommend you look elsewhere if you want a pleasant experience for that amount of money.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room #30 on second floor. Read my review for reasons why.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan s

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed at the inn off and on since 2004. That year, we held my parents 50th anniversary and the inn was very professional, provided a reasonable discount for the number of rooms we booked, and served a wonderful luncheon. The location can be used as a basis to tour the outer banks. It is half an hour to the Wright Brothers Memorial and about the same to Bodie Lighthouse. I recommend the top floor with rooms that have windows out both the front and back of the inn for a very nice view. Parking can be tight during peak weekends. Highly recommend eating at the restaurant during your visit.

Room Tip: I like the top floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed here over Memorial Day weekend for my friend's wedding. To be honest I was nervous about a bed and breakfast as I had never stayed in one and envisioned someone's grandma making me breakfast in the morning :) This was like staying in a charming, clean, wonderful hotel. It had all the amenities of a nice hotel chain but the charm of a small town B&B. The staff was so wonderful and welcoming and gave us advise on where to eat and visit. The rooms were clean and cozy. The location is gorgeous right next to the water. They have complimentary wine and cheese every afternoon along with cookies. Also the complimentary breakfast was a perfect way to start our day. I would definitely recommend saying here. My friends stayed at the Comfort Inn in Nags Head and Shutters in Kill Devil Hills and they both regretted not staying where we were as it was the same price and ours was MUCH nicer. I can't say enough good things about this charming place. The surrounding town is also so charming and cute with food, art galleries, boutiques, ice cream shops, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We have a room reserved for a wedding in June, and I'd just like to mention how accommodating the staff has been!! They have gone above and beyond to make sure we have a relaxing and fun weekend at the BEST place to stay in Manteo. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews of The Tranquil House Inn - and I think it will be a perfect weekend away with my husband. I have spoken with many of the employees on the phone and they are consistently polite, friendly and very helpful. I look forward to our stay!!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Tranquil was the word of the trip thanks to this lovely inn. It's a great location in close proximity to the highlight stops along the outer banks. The adjoining restaurant is lovely and the food is very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Tranquil House Inn on Monday. Enjoyed wine and cheese Monday afternoon, a generous continental breakfast Tuesday morning, the friendly staff, the comfortable room, the great location along the Manteo waterfront convenient for walking and shopping. Next time we plan to go when the restaurant is open.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MWCB
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Some of our town residents and friends, couples, were invited to sample the Inn, come for happy cocktails, delicious dinners to savor at the 1587 Restaurant; board games and cards in the evening, and finally rest in appealing, clean rooms, some of which looked out on the sound. .
The next morning we gathering for the continental breakfast with a healthy and tasty offering including the southern favorite of sausage biscuit.
Can we do it again??!!. Its a good thing!!

Room Tip: If you want to party in the lounge, choose rooms adjoining; if not, choose outer rooms, e.g., that o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Oasis Suites Hotel
Oasis Suites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Tranquil House Inn? Share your experiences!