“A nice walk outside” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort Raleigh National Historic Site

Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Manteo
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic museum that tells the story of the 16th-century Roanoke Island colonists.
Roanoke, Indiana
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A nice walk outside”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stopped here because we wanted to visit the Elizabethan Gardens (which we walked to from here). It was a nice stroll outside in the trees. The earthen fort was interesting. Nice water views down at the outdoor auditorium. Not lots going on here. I wouldn't make a special trip to see this unless you're at the Elizabethan Gardens.

Visited June 2014

Hilliard, Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Much better than I expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Lots more here than just the rebuilt dirt fort. Lots of interesting exhibits including walls and ceilings from a huge estate in England from that time period. Absolutely beautiful! Guides/rangers were very knowledgeable and interesting. There are several walks that are worth taking. Beautiful scenery. Warning though - the signs/markers on the trails are written in the language and print of that time period. Many are quotes from letters and journals. They are a bit difficult to read but once you get the hang of it, it's interesting. My 13 yo had a time with it but my older daughter did well reading them. Definitely would go to this place again!

1 Thank leeannh0813
Williamsburg, VA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Small but historic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very small facility with little left of the original structures. We enjoyed just walking around with a short stroll on the beach.

Visited May 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Worth Exploring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

After a day in downtown Manteo, my husband and I wanted to cool off in the shade, so we went on over to Fort Raleigh. We spent a bit of time outside on the trails that lead down to the water and through the trees and saw the fort. We also took a stop inside the visitor's center. It wasn't the favorite thing I did on the trip, but it was worth the time we spent exploring and the shade was nice! Once again, no Croatan carved on a tree-wasn't even mentioned. Just carve one for fun!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank VEE1225
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fort Raleigh, Manteo, NC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A must see if you like history. Interesting artifacts, movie, and exhibits in the museum. I appreciated the fact that the actual fort site had not been reconstructed and was surprised that it was relatively small. I was awed by the fact that I was standing on the site where the Lost Colonist had lived nearly half a millennium ago. It renewed my interest in in the events that surrounded their desertion of the fort. Where did they go?

Visited April 2014