“Would do it again and again and again!”

The Downeast Rover Sailing Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: The Downeast Rover is a 55-foot topsail schooner offering sailing tours of the Roanoke Sound in the Outer Banks of North Carolina several times daily including sunset. The ship showcases views including the Jockey’s Ridge sand dunes, leaping dolphins and osprey nests. The ship docks and departs from the beautiful downtown Manteo Waterfront Marina located across from Festival Park. Reasonable prices for individuals, groups, and private charters. BYOB. Come see the Outer Banks from a completely different perspective! Enjoy a beautiful sail and the quaint village of Manteo for a day of fun and sun.
Hammonton, NJ
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Would do it again and again and again!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our sunset sail. We set sail on a beautiful day! Our crew was friendly and knowledgeable if you had any questions. They allow you to bring a small cooler/picnic basket on board so we had a bottle of wine and some cheese and had a wonderful time. The boat was clean and we had plenty of room for ourselves and our things. The whole cruise was relaxing and scenic. We came home with a great memory and lots of gorgeous photographs. We plan on doing it again...well worth the money. I wouldn't suggest it for small children though. I think they'd get bored too quickly.

Reston, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ahhhhhhh!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I have now taken two sailing trips on the Downeast Rover. One during the day with friends and kids aged 8 to 12 and more recently, a sunset cruise, just the two of us. Both were relaxing and very comfortable. We saw some dolphins on the day trip and we were lucky to have a wonderful sunset on the evening trip. The crew is happy to answer any questions and I appreciate that they sense if you would like to chat or talk or just hang back and relax. They offered to take photos of our group and also let kids steer a bit (supervised, of course!) We will be back next year for a wedding and will recommend a sail as a fun activity for the guests.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very relaxing!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

The sunset cruise was very relaxing. The crew was more than willing to answer any questions, but it was also very easy to sit back and enjoy the views. Perfect end to a fun filled day at the beach!

Visited July 2013
CaptainKim, Owner at The Downeast Rover Sailing Cruises, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you so much for joining us! We're glad you enjoyed yourself. Please come again!

-Captain Kim
Germantown, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not the best”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Our trip had to be rescheduled due to weather, and on the appointed day it was clear they were hoping we would cancel so they could get off early. The trip itself was mostly fine although the Captain and Mate were focused on talking about their plans for the evening, not too engaged in talking to us or about the area in which we were sailing. In an attempt to play horse with another vessel we ran aground. I will say, our rescue at sea by the boat's owners aboard a Boston Whaler complete with dogs was quite fun, but a bit more attention to detail and less to evening plans would have made this unnecessary. Our large group had fun because we are friends and we have fun together, but the experience could have been better.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Denise D
Denise,

Firstly, thank you for sailing with us. We appreciate your business and apologize for the problems encountered during your cruise. Our goal really is to ensure our guests enjoy themselves.

I do remember the trip you are referring to. Unfortunately, not all shallow areas in the Sound are well-marked, and the captain did run aground. Luckily, no one was injured, and my husband and I were able to help dislodge the Rover in a few minutes with our Boston Whaler. The good news is Roanoke Sound is about the safest place you could have such an instance due to the sandy bottom and the Rover’s steel hull construction. Thank you for your group’s calm attitude during this inconvenience.

Since your trip, my husband and I have personally taken over captaining the Rover, so the problems you mentioned should not occur again. We invite you and your friends to come sailing with us, free of charge, so we can make up for your previous bad experience. Please call me personally at 252-473-4866, and I will book a time that fits your schedule.

Again, we are sorry for disappointing you.

Captain Kim Winslow
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A great way to celebrate a birthday with the whole family!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had a great sunset sail in honor of my mother's 70th birthday. We packed a picnic dinner with coolers and drinks and really enjoyed the sail - a great way to see the area from another perspective. There were 16 of us including three kids. The crew was fun and helpful. Thanks Captain Eric and First Mate Mason. It was a peaceful way to end the day in the Outer Banks.

Rebecca,

We're so glad we could be part of such a special celebration. A very Happy Birthday to your mom!

Thank you so much for sailing with us,

Captain Kim