“Enjoyable!”

La Cabana Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New restaurant in the Outer Banks of North Carolina serving Latin Central American Mexican food and local seafood favorites. Excellent food. Locals favorite. Lunch and dinner daily. Sunday brunch. Daily specials. Family owned.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stopped on for the first on our way into Nags Head yesterday. Wv were starving and just wanted a place to get in and get served quickly. I must say, this place does not disappoint! Very fast service, great flavor, and generous portions. We would definitely recommend without reservation!

1  Thank Brittany S

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stopped here recently for lunch while on vacation. Please note that Google Maps is incorrect - the restaurant is on the west side of the road just north of the Piggly Wiggly. The service was great and the menu has a good selection. It was apparent in the salsa and several of the entrees that the ingredients were fresh, but I was expecting more flavor. My beef enchiladas were average.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- Definitely some authentic Mexican, the food is pretty tasty. The beef enchiladas definitely hit the spot, the coffee was good, but the shrimp tacos were just okay.
- Great value! For a dinner for three that stuffed it came to $35 after tax and gratuity.
- The service was terrific. Very friendly staff who were courteous and made us feel very comfortable.

Cons:
- The TV that was visible to my six year-old was playing an inappropriate PG-13 movie. It would be advisable to put on something that doesn't involve assassins during family dinner.

Overall:
A pretty good spot to get your Mexican food fix while at the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My parents live in Manteo, and we visit most weekends. My mom chose La Cabana for lunch on Saturday. We went with my parents, my wife and 5 year old daughter.

The place does not look inviting from the outside, it seems to be in an old gas station (although I can't say for sure). Once you get inside though, the place looks very typical of any Mexican restaurant. It is festively decorated, with several fancy sombreros hanging over the tables, and the major feature of the ambiance is a long mural depicting a tropical landscape, complete with wildlife and birds. Overall the ambiance was very good (on the inside).

The restaurant was not too busy on a Saturday at lunchtime, it was probably 1/3 full, with 3 people eating at the bar. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive, she tried to be playful with our 5 year old, but she got shy.

The chips and salsa were very good, the chips themselves were thick and had a great deal of texture, they were warm and fresh tasting. I wonder if the waitress knows my parents, because the salsa was not spicy at all. I guess this is how they like it. Still, it was flavorful, plenty of cilantro and the vegetable taste was pleasant. :) Maybe most salsas are like that and I just don't notice b/c of the caspian.

We ordered Nachos for an appetizer, we ordered it all the way. Noticeably missing was the jalapenos. Again, this may be my parent's fault. I also noticed that the pico on the nachos was not spicy. Still, the nachos were very good, as noted above, I find their chips to be superior, we ordered them with Chicken, which presented itself in large savory chunks, fall apart from being sautéed in a savory sauce. They were very good nachos, my only suggestion beyond making them more spicy would be to use black beans instead of refried beans. But no worries.

I ordered Tuna Fajitas. I had never had them before, but they were quite good. The tuna was cubed and seared, and came with peppers and onions. I liked the dish, but I found the refried beans that came with it to be a little pasty and devoid of flavor. But the main dish itself was remarkable.

My wife ordered a fish dish, which I tried and enjoyed quite a bit. I believe it was supposed to be fried, but she asked for it grilled, and it came out very good. The fish was salted and spiced and seems to have hit the spot.

My 5 year old got a taco from the kids menu. We asked to substitute the fries for rice, and it was no problem. She finished the whole thing, I didn't get to try it.

My dad had a steak quesadilla. While I didn't try it, it was very big, and actually had a drizzle of barbequ sauce on top. Inside, the steak didn't appear to be strips of steak, but rather falling apart steak (either shred or just slow cooked) and it looked awesome. I might try that next time.

My mom ordered the enchiladas, I didn't try them, but they came with a red sauce and looked very good too.

Overall, I liked this restaurant. I am curious if they just avoid spicy food as a general rule, or if my parents had told them to do so during a previous trip and they recognized them. Either way it was a great experience, and there is no reason to be hesitant based on the lack of outside appeal of the building.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We went here on the way into town and would gladly go back any time we are back. Te food was a great mix of Latin dishes and everything came out hot and delicious. The only thing I wish thy would change is not giving the kids rice or beans with a meal instead of fries.

1  Thank KSB030