“Really worth the stop.”

Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Manteo
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Start the Morning w Freshly Cooked Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. The Pub overlooks Main Street Manteo and the dining room and back porch overlook the sound and Marina along the boardwalk.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had been at the beach for a week and to be honest, was up to my gills in seafood. Don't get me wrong, I really like seafood, but to much of a good thing can get difficult, too. Poor Richard's is a welcome alternative to an endless series of seafood.

We were on the way home and my wife had never been to the Manteo Waterfront. Mostly there for sightseeing, but it was lunchtime and I suggested that we go Poor Richard's to eat.

The only complaint that I have is the way that they have their ordering setup. Gives you the impression that it is 'Subway' style. If it is your first time in, it looks like you should be giving the 'assemblers' your order as you proceed toward the register, when in fact, everyone behind the counter is actually having to answer questions to the customers about how to order and what this is and what that is, really interfering with their work. They were very pleasant and cooperative, but the flow seemed kinda bassackwards and did seem to slow down the preparation of the orders. There seemed to be a lot of first timers there, too and most looked puzzled as to how to proceed. Also the line moved very slowly and I think that this frustrated some, The really do a great business and I think that reviewing their customer flow would enhance the customers experience. (BTW, I ran one of the best known burger places in the Raleigh area back in the 70's and we did a tremendous volume of business with the theory of serving the customer great food quickly. They didn't come in to stand in line.) I hate to dwell on this but customer service and great quality food should be of equal concern. It seems to be the local 'Arnolds' and locals will overlook things that visitors may not.

It takes longer to say something constructive than it does to praise things that are 'right'. The people behind the line, the girls that deliver the food, everyone was great. The atmosphere was a little harried, because it was a busy time, but the food did not suffer. I had the French Dip and is was as good as I have had anywhere. Wish I had been there longer because the Reuben and the Pastrami looked great, too!. Potato salad was also very good. (Trying not to be redundant and call everything 'great' but it was.)

I am sure from now on when we go to Kitty Hawk, we will be taking a slight detour to the Manteo Waterfront and a stop at Poor Richard's.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Spent the day in Manteo and arrived just before lunch. We found Poor Richard's Sandwich Shop which had seating outside on the water front. They offered a variety of deli style sandwiches and more elaborate lunch options for a larger meal. You order at the counter, find a seat, and the wait staff brings your food to your table. Our food was delivered quickly and was prepared just as we ordered. The food was fresh and delicious. The atmosphere was fun and view of the water, boats and the Elizabeth II was beautiful!

1  Thank Lisa0669
Reviewed 29 June 2014

There aren't very many tables in this small restaurant, but don't let that discourage you. They have really great deli and hot sandwiches. They have fresh fruit that my daughter loved and superb pasta salad. They have an area to sit outside overlooking the water.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We arrived an hour before closing time on a Sunday afternoon and their was a slight line to order. When we tried to place our order, we were informed that they were "backed up" and they were no longer taking orders for fries or onion rings but we could have chips with our combo. We actually came for the onion rings so we were disappointed. Placed the order anyway but it took so long to get the food that we asked for our money back. We stood in line again to get a refund and the family in front of us was also getting their money back.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Of all our trips to the Outer Banks we have never eaten at Poor Richards....until yesterday. This is our new regular spot from now on. Great friendly staff with fast service. The pimento cheese is best ever and homemade. Fries are coated and the best around. We sat on the back porch whis is on the Manteo harbor. Great breeze with sailboats within 30 feet. What a great way to relax while touring historic Manteo. Don't miss this meal. Glenn