“Horrible service- cheap quality motel rooms”
Review of Elizabethan Inn

Elizabethan Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Manteo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I made a last minute reservation for this hotel through priceline/booking. Upon arrival at the motel, (in a not too nice neighborhood) the nice older desk clerk tried to check me in. After some difficulties with the equipment and about 20 minutes of waiting in a very odd lobby I was told my room was just 3 doors down. I walked in to the room and was immediately warped to 1970's Motel 8. The room and furniture were dark and dingy, the bathroom was tiny and dark, the plaster on the ceiling was falling off and a door with a chain lock at the other end of the room led to the most frightening hotel corrider I've seen in a while. (akin to something where you might encounter Norman Bates)

My husband walked in behind me and said, "No way are we staying here for $158!" I agreed so we walked out, went back to the desk and told the clerk we were sorry but couldn't stay there for that price. She said she could check us out but didnt have the permission to refund the charge. I said I understood and would contact the manager the next morning.

The next morning I called the hotel and spoke to Rajan (the front desk manager, I think). He argued that there was nothing wrong with the room and he wouldn't refund my charges. I explained that I was expecting a hotel equivalent to 2 stars (Comfort Inn or the like as that was what was advertised) and that his hotel had a ceiling that was falling down and was not at all what we were expecting, and we were not happy with the quality of the hotel and how it was falsely portrayed.

He quickly got angry and told me that he was not claiming to be equivalent to a 2 star hotel and the ceiling wasn't falling down and he refused to refund my charges. I attempted to explain to him that good customer service dictates that if a customer doesn't even stay in your rooms and is unhappy immediately following check-in then s/he should refund the charges for services not received. He refused. In fact- HE CHARGED ME TWICE! SAVE YOURSELF THE GRIEF DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank sandra n

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The female desk clerk was very polite and accommodating when we checked in at approximately 5:00 pm following an afternoon at the beach and driving in the hot weather after the malfunctioning of our car air-conditioning. As you can imagine, we were hot and sweaty and wanted to take a shower and cool down in our room. My wife went to the bathroom and found urine on both sides of the toilet seat! I immediately went downstairs to notify the desk clerk and she immediately apologized and gave us another room. After about an hour my wife went to the bathroom to take a shower, and noticed that there was not a shower curtain. We were both so tired and sweaty that we went ahead and washed off, rather than go through another room change. When we checked out the next morning, I asked to speak to the manager. The male desk clerk said the manager went to the hospital to address a medical issue and gave us her card. He made it clear that he was not the acting or assistant manager. It's interesting that although he said his name was "Raj" and was adamant that he was not the manager, a person named "Raj" responded to comments made on this web page. When I told Raj that I was very displeased with our stay at the Elizabethan he said that I could have asked for the problems to be corrected rather than expressing my displeasure. He got very emotional and animated and said that I couldn't "eat the meal and then not pay for it" but I had to repeatedly tell him that we were not asking for our money back and just wanted to let the management know that they did not even provide the most basic of services. He was not sympathetic to our problems and did not apologize for our discomfort at the Elizabethan and repeatedly said that the problems were ours because we did not immediately notify the front desk of our problems the second time and refused to take responsibility for any of the problems we had during our stay. He assured us that the manager would call us but, to this day, we haven't heard from anyone. We will not stay here the next time we come to Manteo and would not recommend this Inn to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Tad2013
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

I am sorry for any problems you experienced while you were here, but I feel the need to reply to some of your comments. First of all, we inspected the first room you were in and found a couple of small hard-water stains, but no urine. Unlike many motels who change shower curtains only when they get "dirty", our shower curtains are changed with each guest. Unfortunately the housekeeper who cleaned your room forgot to replace it, for which we sincerely apologize. However, a simple phone call would have brought someone to replace it and you would not have had to do without. This is the point the maintenance man was trying to make. You did not call the front desk to report a problem, therefore you did not give us a chance to correct it. The man you spoke to at the desk does the laundry and helps with the maintenance. His nickname is also Raj, a very common name comparable to John. He was helping out because the Assistant Manager, who manages the front desk (that "polite and accommodating female desk clerk " who checked you in) became ill and went to the hospital. He does not normally work on the front desk. Our Assistant Manager is fine now and is still waiting to hear from you concerning the email she sent you. Again, we apologize for any problems you experienced and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We decided to head tovthe obx a day early and found a room here. We were arriving late, after midnight, and the hotel called us to confirm we were still planning on showing up. They gave us a few instuctions and were very helpful. Check in was a breeze and the room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank sthoff
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here even though it was very brief. We hope you will come visit us again.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I chose this hotel for two reasons: First, it was centrally located to the areas I wanted to visit. Second, it was one of the few places that would accommodate 5 adults per room.

The person who checked us in was very friendly and gave us excellent directions both to our room (we booked an efficiency located in a back building) and to our destinations for the evening.

The room itself was clean and in excellent shape. Other visitors have remarked that the rooms can be dark; this is true, but only if you neglect to turn on the lamps and open the curtains (they're thick!). The wallpaper was in great condition and the kitchenette well supplied.

The only complaint from any of our party was about the shower head. It is a model that requires pushing/pulling to adjust, so several in our party endured rather pulsating water flow. I was the last one to use the shower, and I was the only one who knew how to work that style shower, so I lucked out :)

The price of our stay was $225 for one night. To me, that price seems a bit steep for just one person (or even a couple), but traveling in a group (as I was) with the cost split 3 ways was a great advantage. If you're planning on staying for more than a few days, take advantage of an efficiency: they provide all necessities to shop in town and cook in your room.

1  Thank Jay E
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Elizabethan Inn. The efficiency you stayed in with its pots, pans, dishes and silverware is a great way to save money on meals. It is very kind of you to be concerned about the rates that someone else may pay. Please let me ease your mind. The rates for our hotel, like most hotels and motels, are based on 2 adults per room. The $225 you paid not only included the state and county taxes; it also included charges for the extra adults in your room as well. So, one or two persons in the same room would have paid a lower rate. We are sorry your friends had difficulty with the shower. Showers in hotels, like showers in homes vary a great deal and coming across a type you have not seen before can be frustrating. Please ask them to contact the front desk the next time they run across this situation. Our maintenance man would have been glad to show them how this particular shower head works. Thanks again for staying with us! Please come again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Suriksha and Virginia were extremely nice and friendly to me and really made me feel at home. The room was very nice, large, and clean. Two very large and nice Pools, one indoors. It is an ideal location to tour the whole Outer Banks region.
My stay there was one of my best ever at a travel spot!
I highly recommend it.
Jim Bolin
Horse Shoe
North Carolina

Room Tip: Corner room at back of the property Large and private.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Elizabethan Inn. Suriksha and Virginia thoroughly enjoyed having you and your family here and considered you a part of OUR family. Your visit really made their day! We hope you will come back again soon and hopefully stay longer next time. Thanks again!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family and I stayed here one night on July 10. The staff members at this hotel were very friendly! Despite the power going off on the whole island and the majority of Dare County, we enjoyed ourselves. We were here to see the play, which was unfortunately canceled due to the power outage. We booked the apartment, located in the far back section of the complex, as it is separated into three(?) different buildings, if I remember correctly. It was a nice stay, the apartment came with a 2-burner(?) electric stove/oven, coffee pot, refrigerator, microwave and dishes galore (including pots and pans). Two queen size beds, futon, desk and chair. The hotel also had a restaurant attached to the main building, the menu looked great, that's all I can say as the power outage pretty much prevented us from going. The only thing I can say critically about this hotel is that some updating would be great for a totally awesome five star experience. The carpet and the bathroom in the apartment, for example. I'm not saying it was dirty, it just could use some remodeling, give it a face-lift add new carpeting and make new bathroom fixtures high efficiency, don't be afraid to get fancy! The hotel is charming otherwise. Nothing was dirty! Very clean! I left smiling.

Room Tip: Apartments are a quaint cottage type. You might have neighbors next door, I can't attest to any...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you for your great review! You certainly made us all smile! Power outages here are extremely rare, fortunately, and we are happy you didn't let it spoil your trip. We are glad you enjoyed the efficiency. We are constantly updating and replacing as much as possible and will keep your comments in mind when we are ready to work on the Manor Building.We hope you will come to visit us again soon. Hopefully, you will have a chance to experience everything Manteo and the Elizabethan Inn have to offer. Thanks again!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is a treat in itself but staying there over the 4th of July in Manteo really made the experience special. Clean large rooms with an indoor health club with a really large pool. Also an outdoor pool that was nice when the wind and sand got to be too much for the kids at the beach. Manteo has so much for the kids and us(large aquarium, Lost Colony, etc.) and the hotel was conveniently close to all. Downtown Manteo had wonderful fireworks that you watch while setting on the docks and watching them go off over a replica of an 18th century sailing ship(Elizabeth II). They had bands that were kid friendly and a bunch of holiday activities, like a hilarious and patriotic local parade. The staff at the Inn were great as was the food at all the local restaurants. Were coming back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thanks so much for your nice review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We agree with you that Manteo is a fun place with a lot to offer. The next time you come to visit, be sure to check out the Elizabethan Gardens, Festival Park with its Indian village and settlement, the Island Farm and Fort Raleigh as well as the places you mentioned. Things are constantly changing on Roanoke Island so there is always something new to see and do. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Sea Ranch Resort
6 mi away
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!