“Gem in Manteo”
Review of 1587 Restaurant

1587 Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 35 Restaurants in Manteo
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome to 1587 Restaurant! Here you will find World-Class chefs who blend the freshest of ingredients including herbs grown from the Inn's own gardens, today's Atlantic seafood, meats & fowl, and vegetables from the Outer Banks' finest growers. You'll dine in an atmosphere that is elegant but relaxed as you gaze through the large windows that frame a view of quaint Shallowbag Bay and a moonrise that is truly spectacular!
East Windsor, New Jersey
“Gem in Manteo”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have been enjoying this restaurant for 16 years now and we are never disappointed. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is so relaxing. If you come to Outer Banks this is a great restaurant for date night. One that should not be missed! Please make sure to order the seared scallop appetizer. It is to die for! If they ever take it off the menu, the customers would be so disappointed. All of the food is so fresh. You can't go wrong with any of their dishes. Pay special attention to the fresh fish options. So delicious!

• Visited May 2013

Outer Banks NC
“The Best Restaurant in Manteo, Bar None!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

From the minute you walk in the front door, you will be treated like family. Not only is this restaurant quaint, romantic, but beautiful with a waterfront view. This reataurant has many crowning jewels. First, the food. It is my favorite restaurant in all my places of travel. I eat out often and find my way back there consistently. I love the innovative menu. If you are looking for fried seafood and meatloaf, skip it. If you have a pallatte for a meal to tickle your taste buds, c'mon, the front door is open and Theresa or Jackie will be glad to show you to your table. Perhaps a drink at the copper top bar before dinner? Matt, Brian, or Billy will be glad to serve you a killer martini or a craft beer of your choice. They do have Bud for those pallettes also! The servers, all of them, want you to have a dinng experience not just come for dinner. I feel like part of the family whenever I go there. As if that isn't enough, Donnie Just, proprietor extraordinaire, offer his local customers three different discounts a year that NO one in the restaurant business does for their customers. I love 1587, the Tranqul House Inn, which is beautful, and would certainly, without reservations, recommend this restaurant and Inn to all who travel here. Bon Appetit!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Patty27954
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Happy Anniversary dinner”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had early reservations for our Valentine/ anniversary dinner and the food and staff were great. However, we heard others with late reservations experienced some menu choice shortages and did not have the same experience we had. So if you go here, be prepared for a great meal and a romantic atmosphere - but get in early.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Steve G
Richmond, VA
“Expected More”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After all the great reviews of this place we had high expectations. We ate here on Valentine's Day so the menu was limited (they did not tell me this when I called to make reservations). We were limited to one steak dish, one chicken dish, and one lobster dish. I'm very picky about my steak and therefore rarely order steak in restaurants. I decided to take the plunge. My steak had a lot of grissle and was slightly overcooked. I should have sent it back and would have, had I known the price (which was not on the menu !).
The only good thing about this place is the ambience. We had a nice table overlooking the water.
Overall, for the prices, I expect more.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank dsexton789
West Newbury, Massachusetts
“Best Restaurant on the Outer Banks”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Had dinner at the restaurant on a quiet weeknight. We had a great seat at the window overlooking the water. The food and service were both excellent and we wish we could have gone back before we left the Outer Banks. The atmosphere was excellent - great place to go if you want to have a very romantic evening.

• Visited July 2013