“The Red Drum is a family style restaurant to spite its name.”

Darrell's Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 38 Restaurants in Manteo
Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Red Drum Taphouse is open for lunch and dinner. The food was good as was the service. It is quite loud in the restaurant the the table beside us had a "SCREAMING" child that they ignored for quite a while. (I do mean ear piercing screaming) I kept hoping that someone from the restaurant would ask the parents to either take her outside or do something to quiet her. We could hear every word of the conversation from the large party seated behind us. Our waitress was lovely and professional despite the fact that the large party behind us kept raising their voice and demanding their every desire to her, including a, "and we want it now!" at the end of each demand. She never got upset and kept her cool, including a lovely smile throughout her rude treatment. Everyone enjoyed their meals but we could have definitely done without all of the drama around us. There is no atmosphere, it is a good place for a family to grab a reasonably priced meal. It is not recommended for a private or quiet meal.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Celebrating a friends birthday and chose Darrell's Restaurant. We wasn't disappointed at all with the food, service or atmosphere. I started out with now a new favorite of mine, the She Crab Soup. This soup was a awesome in that it had plenty of fresh crab meat in it and you got the hint of sherry but it wasn't over powering. My friend had the steak and a salad and both was perfect. I got the crab cakes (Friday's Special) truly fresh and flavorful food . The waitress never let our drinks get empty and made sure we had all the extra's to enjoy our meal. Loved they have daily specials and much more. Plan on taking husband next visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Had the shrimp and crab cake dinner. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the cole slaw was excellent. Very friendly and competent waitress.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

home town atmosphere, wonderful food, quaint atmosphere. Desserts are amazing. Seafood and comfort food.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My Family and I Visited Darrell's Restaurant on a recent trip to the outer banks. The four of us all got something different...Chicken salad, Steak, Catch of the Day and Fried Shrimp. Everyone enjoyed their meals. My son loved his steak. I think it may be cooked on a steak vs a grill..so be sure to ask if you care about this. My husband enjoyed his catch of the day which was served over rice and beans. I loved my fried shrimp. The best that I've had in a long time. We also had summer salads ... a little pricey but worth it.

1  Thank Lisa S