“Very Good Oysters!”

Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Lara, Australia
“Very Good Oysters!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I met two friends there for dinner. One was a local who said that it was usually very good and it was. My wife and I each had the fried oyster dinner and we were very pleased. They were excellent and numerous, possibly more than I needed but NOT more than I could eat. An extra large portion of fried oysters wins me over every time. They were not over cooked, or over breaded. The coleslaw was also very good (one never knows with coleslaw).
Our server was fast, friendly and informed regarding the food. Our experience there was very good indeed.

New Hartford
“Bad is to much of a complement”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was an awful place. My wife and i didn't expect much and found it to even disappointed those expectations. the service was indifferent and the food terrible. Everything was overcooked and hard. We would never go back.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“The Red Drum is a family style restaurant to spite its name.”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Red Drum Taphouse is open for lunch and dinner. The food was good as was the service. It is quite loud in the restaurant the the table beside us had a "SCREAMING" child that they ignored for quite a while. (I do mean ear piercing screaming) I kept hoping that someone from the restaurant would ask the parents to either take her outside or do something to quiet her. We could hear every word of the conversation from the large party seated behind us. Our waitress was lovely and professional despite the fact that the large party behind us kept raising their voice and demanding their every desire to her, including a, "and we want it now!" at the end of each demand. She never got upset and kept her cool, including a lovely smile throughout her rude treatment. Everyone enjoyed their meals but we could have definitely done without all of the drama around us. There is no atmosphere, it is a good place for a family to grab a reasonably priced meal. It is not recommended for a private or quiet meal.

Visited August 2013
“Good Seafood”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Celebrating a friends birthday and chose Darrell's Restaurant. We wasn't disappointed at all with the food, service or atmosphere. I started out with now a new favorite of mine, the She Crab Soup. This soup was a awesome in that it had plenty of fresh crab meat in it and you got the hint of sherry but it wasn't over powering. My friend had the steak and a salad and both was perfect. I got the crab cakes (Friday's Special) truly fresh and flavorful food . The waitress never let our drinks get empty and made sure we had all the extra's to enjoy our meal. Loved they have daily specials and much more. Plan on taking husband next visit.

Otto, North Carolina
“Nice Family Restaurant”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Had the shrimp and crab cake dinner. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the cole slaw was excellent. Very friendly and competent waitress.

Visited July 2013