“Lunch specials”

Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Darrell's is a nice family style restaurant with good lunch specials. The oyster plate with two sides was 8.99. A very good value in a vacation area.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My family and I lucked into this restaurant when our intended restaurant was closed for the season. I remembered seeing a billboard for the restaurant that sounded promising, and we found the place conveniently located near the famous Christmas shop. We were there for a late lunch and the place was not busy. I vacillated between chicken livers, which are difficult to find on a menu, and fried local oysters. Being near the water I decided for the oysters. They were lightly breaded and perfectly fried, in a generous portion with no grease. For $9.95 I also received hush puppies and choice of two sides, which in my case were potato salad (with bread and butter pickles) and fried okra. The hush puppies were light, nongreasy and tasty. Although hush puppies apparently did not come with the two kids' meals that we ordered, the server generously added them to the kids' leftover boxes. I also ordered the Hatteras-style clam chowder, which is the best I have ever eaten. It was prepared with tender, fresh clams (and lots of them), celery, potato, onion and clam juice. The server explained that they kept it simple, and I don't know how it was seasoned. Someone unassociated with the restaurant told me that the secret to the chowder is vinegar and a touch of hot sauce. My husband was happy with his fried catfish and cole slaw, and my daughter with her fried clams. The kids' meals of popcorn shrimp and chicken tenders were also generous in portion and nongreasy. The dessert menu was limited but we did not have room for dessert. The restaurant does catering, and I would gladly use their catering services based on the one meal that I had. This is a long established, family run restaurant and its longevity is a testament to its success.

1  Thank karofl1
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was my first visit to Darrell's. When we arrived there were not many cars there and that was a little scary. However, Darrell's is a great find. The seafood was great and service was very good. Very casual and friendly place to eat and prices were reasonable. Would I go back? Don't mind if i do.

1  Thank tpgowen
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

This is a must every trip. We love their food. Great food,service and decorations. We go in December and they have a christmas tree and packages on front side walk,very pretty. My dad always gets the oyster dinner. I love their potato salad, hush puppies and sweet ice tea. I have not ate anything I did not like there. The kids meals are pretty good size to. In nice area in Manteo. Please try it out.

1  Thank deborah g
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Loved it food was perfectly prepared and the service was top notch. I highly recommend this restaurant very affordable and very well appointed.