“Cameron House Inn”

Ranked #1 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Wake forest
“Cameron House Inn”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We found the Cameron House in to be a nice house and good location. If you plan to stay here you need to be aware that this B&B is not typical in the way it operates. One of owners lives next door but we never saw her during our visit. When we arrived we were unable to contact anyone, after waiting around we discovered the home to be unlocked and we ended up finding our room on our own. Keys of unoccupied rooms are left in the doors.

If you do not mind a kind of do it yourself B&B this may work for you. If you want more of a hands on experience you will be disappointed. People who came in the mornings to prepare a few hot items for breakfast were friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martha P
McOwen1, Owner at Cameron House Inn, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
We appreciate your feedback. At Cameron House Inn personal service is highly valued. We personally greet each guest at check in to get them settled in, answer questions and help in any other ways we can. Our innkeepers cook a hot breakfast every morning. The rooms are refreshed each day during your stay and we bake cookies and other goodies for guests. Since opening 14 years ago we've successfully used a service for guests to notify and speak with us when they arrive by pushing a button at the front door. As soon as guests arrive either the owners who live next door or the innkeeper who lives in another adjacent house speaks with them and comes over immediately.

We do our best to provide personal service while at the same time giving guests space to enjoy their time together. Staff is always on duty and available by pushing a button in the room or by direct phone line.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 September 2013

At least that's how I feel.
My work brings me to Manteo every month and I have
stayed elsewhere. After staying at the Cameron House I
have never looked back.
Quite, peaceful, and walking distance to just about anything.
Beth and the staff are great and very accommodating and provide
a wonderful breakfast in the morning.
If you are staying in Manteo give them a call.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank S E
South Africa
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have been frequent guests at the Cameron House Inn and have thoroughly enjoyed our stays. The B&B is a relaxed and hassle free experience. No one is hovering over you, yet they are available to assist if you need anything during your stay. The house is quiet, warm and homey, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is like you are visiting dear friends. Breakfast is always a delight with excellent variety! The extra touch of having a cozy fireplace out back to enjoy during a cool evening, and bikes available to explore the island have added enjoyment and relaxation to our stays. Walking distance to downtown Manteo makes the Inn very convenient. The Cameron House Inn is our "go to" place whenever we are visiting the area!

Room Tip: Kingfisher room is very spacious and has a king size bed. Featherstone room has a wonderful gas bur...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank traveler007FL
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our stay at the Inn was pleasant and relaxing. The rooms were clean and the linens were outstanding.
The breakfast was okay, not outstanding but palatable.
My problem arose upon checkout. I was told that I had been overcharged for a room that we initially inquired about for our traveling companions and that we would see a credit on my credit card. When we finally returned home, I checked the cc and instead of a credit, I had been charged the fee that I had been told I was going to receive a credit on. I called and called and on the 3rd call, I got Beth, the owner. She stated that it had been taken care of and I should receive a credit within the next few days. Well, we left town again and upon my return, I did have a credit but it is not in the amount of the initial charge or the amount that I was told had been an overcharge on my account. All I can say is, make sure you check your bills prior to checking out. Don't do as I did and just assume everything would be taken care of because some times it is not. I am not saying that this was intentional as we all make errors but just be careful wherever you stay. I will definitely be checking my bills from now on.

Room Tip: Check your bills prior to leaving...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer T
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had the room with the fireplace (Featherstone). It was very well furnished, immaculately cleaned, and had the most comfortable bed. We came down for the week of our wedding by Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It was so relaxing, were I spent most evenings on the porch swing. I was welcomed in by a gracious host. Our wedding day was calling for rain, and they allowed us to have it on the beautiful covered back porch by the fireplace. Fortunately, the skies cleared right before and it was not needed. We loved the fresh baked cookies that they had out every evening, and the wonderful breakfast. We were visited several times by a spirit of a little boy, once in our room, and once in the dining room in the middle of the night. Perhaps this was Cameron? This house was the perfect place for us the unwind before the wedding, and I would stay here again in a heartbeat. If the inn is ever for sale, please contact us, as we may be interested in buying it. Thank you for the wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The Featherstone has a wonderful bed, and nice full size bathtub. Wonderfully comfortable!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed one night celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in. The Creef room was very attractive and super clean as was the rest of the house. We LOVED the back porch/fireplace with trellis. It was the perfect spot to sit under the ceiling fans, play a game, eat breakfast the next morning and visit with the resident cats. The owners rightly recommended a restaurant "The Brine and the Bottle" for our anniversary and it was a great choice! Breakfast was good - I admit, having been to B&B's where the food was all or mostly made from scratch, I was a little disappointed that theirs was not (other than some cooked bacon, ham and sausage&gravy). However, there were plenty of choices: cold cereal, bagels, toast, frozen waffles, fruit, jellies, cream cheeses.
We enjoyed ourselves and will use Cameron House again if we get back to the Manteo area!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Have stayed at quite a few B&B's, but this was our first visit to the Outer Banks. Found the Cameron House Inn to be in a great location in Manteo, walking distance to the waterfront. The house was very welcoming...beautifully furnished and our room (Kingfisher) was very spacious and comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and provided us with delicious breakfasts. Had access to the kitchen (never had that anywhere) and we could get soda and bottled water anytime of day... along with the delicious cookies and cake that was always on the counter. The house was extremely clean and the front and rear porches were a great place to relax and enjoy the lovely area. Would definitely recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,472 reviews
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Cameron House Inn? Share your experiences!