“Excellent stay”

The Island Guesthouse & Cottages
Ranked #7 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We stayed at the Endless Summer cottage - it was really well decorated - if you're a surfer you will definitely appreciate the decor - surfboards galore! There's a walk in shower with a huge rainshower head downstairs and another bathroom upstairs with a jacuzzi soaking tub - two bedrooms upstairs with flatscreen tvs - and another huge flatscreen downstairs. Another bonus is a huge washer/dryer, very nice! Shirley was very nice and helpful in accomodating a few changes for us and always called me back when I called her. Nags head is about 10-15 minutes away across the bridge. The waterfront in Manteo isn't far either - walking distance.....clean place that allows dogs for a fee.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 October 2010

I hate writing bad reviews, but when it's deserved I feel compelled to speak up.

To their credit, the Island Guesthouse & Motel is clean and quaint. Unfortunately that is the only nice thing I can say about this motel.

I am staying here for a wedding, but when I first called to claim one of the blocked rooms, they had no idea what wedding I meant, even when I gave the dates. The bride and groom had already visited the place twice to confirm the block and price. After a few phone calls around the owner confirmed and my reservation was finally made correctly. I was even told which room number I'd have.

A week later I got a call from the motel asking me for contact information for the bride and groom, since they couldn't find it. Wow. That phone call to the groom was one I hated having to make.

It is now the wedding weekend. I arrived and when I mentioned I was there for the wedding, I was greeted with surprise, and then told "Oh, there were gifts for the wedding guests, but I didn't know anyone else was coming for the wedding and I already gave them all away." Wow again.

In my room was a gift bag for one of the bridal attendants, not me. Her name was even on it, and if you'll remember they gave me my room number weeks ago. Yet another baffling mixup.

The motel side is EMPTY except for one other couple. The walls are paper thin, and you can hear everything between rooms. Yes, everything. Why were we placed in adjacent rooms when there are at least ten others empty?

This place is poorly run, no doubt. So much room for improvement! With all the other beautiful places here, I don't see why anyone would choose this, especially in the low season where there are vacancies everywhere. Next time, I will choose anything else. In fact, if they had not insisted I pay in full up front, I would already have left.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank dtamayob
Reviewed 27 July 2010

The Endless Summer cottage is excellent in every way! It is a new build so all of the fixtures are brand new; it had beautful wood trim and tastefully decorated in surfing decor. The kitchen was fully stocked and plenty of towels, soap, TP, etc. in the bathrooms. It is located on a residential lot with two other new cottages; they share the yard and large tree house; there was a patio for sitting outside. It is close to the Manteo waterfront shops, etc. and you could walk it if you wanted. If you want a beach front location or need a pool for kids, this is not for you. We arrived around 7pm, and the lady at the motel check-in desk was not friendly; she seemed perturbed that we arrived so late, but I did call ahead and let her know were were on our way. The owner of the cottage had left a guest book with his name and cell # in case you needed to contact him; I appreciated this. The cottage is very relaxing and we would return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank audnlou
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed in the 3-bed efficiency, in the motel part in back. This place is totally old-school - right down to the hand written registry. The bedrooms and bathroom were super small. But is was clean enough and met our family's needs with a nice sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave, enough sleeping space for six and cable TV. We enjoyed the shared patio space between the buildings for an hour or so each evening, but found it odd that the owner/manager, who lives on-site never appeared or introduced herself. The lock on the exterior door entrance was minimal - just a push button - and there was some noisy foot traffic through the property in the middle of the night that was a little disarming. But, the price was awesome ($99/night) and considering we were out and about during the day and we really only needed it for sleeping, The Island Guesthouse/Motel was just fine. Not fancy, mind you. But perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2010

After searching, searching and searching for a roomy place to stay in the Outer Banks area that wasn't a large house rental, I came upon this property and the three cottages. We stayed in the Little Lifeboat house, and it was really nice. Two levels, with a bedroom and roomy bathroom upstairs (nice whirlpool tub for two) and a small kitchen and living area plus bathroom downstairs. The place had all the amenities to make our stay comfy. We could cook in the kitchen (might need to be stocked with some new pots/pans), barbecue on the little grill outside (charcoal and lighter fluid supplied!) and even do laundry. It was great for a short stay but would be nice for even longer stays. The location was great on the quiet island of Roanoke and close to the historic waterfront area downtown. My boyfriend and I took walks in the evenings to the waterfront area and really enjoyed the cute residential areas to walk through. There is a 'Food-A-Rama' right down the street so you can stock the kitchen (be sure to pack your coffee with you as there is a coffeepot, but no coffee -- not something you want to discover first thing in the morning for those coffee addicts!). All in all, it was a great place -- quiet, comfortable and peaceful. We really enjoyed the built in sound system, watching DVDs (there is a Red Box rental service in the Food-A-Rama) and relaxing over the memorial day weekend. We would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We stayed at the Endless Summer cottage and were pleasantly surprised. For a small cottage it had all of the amenities: granite countertops, stainless appliances, flat screen TV's in living room and both bedrooms, tiled bathrooms. Crafted well with attention to detail - loved the "surfer" theme that was present throughout. Close to downtown Manteo shops and restaurants. Definitely would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WkndTravlrz
Reviewed 7 July 2009

This was a charming 60's style motel.It has been remodeled and is everything you need when staying on the outer banks! It was clean the service was great.The staff was excellent.I stayed here on July 4th 2009 and Manteo has an excellent fireworks display.This little motel only had 9 rooms but service was great and dollar for dollar it is the best stay in the area.If you have to have the Hilton stay at the Hilton ILL STAY HERE AGAIN!!!! You will have to drive to the beach (5 minute drive)but research Manteo NC this is a great little water front town.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank parrothead6970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Elizabethan Inn
#2 of 2 in Manteo
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to The Island Guesthouse & Cottages? Share your experiences!