“My Favorite place close to home”

The Burrus House Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Mathews, Virginia
“My Favorite place close to home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband I always have a great time and it very relaxing. Beautiful and walking distance to downtown Manteo. Very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are great and cozy beds and fireplaces. I can't wait to go back. Short driving distance to beach and the main land. The owners are great.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

My girlfriend and I checked in to the Burrus House for the weekend. It was a fantastic experience. The room was beautiful, clean, well-maintained, with exquisite views. It was very peaceful and quiet and the owner was very helpful with recommendations for dinner. The room was also much larger and more comfortable than either of us were expecting.

Room Tip: We had room #9, was great, top floor, corner, quiet I think next time we are going to request #3...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M B
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Waterfront, clean, very quiet, peaceful and relaxing. close to everything. Best place to stay in Manteo bar none! Great size rooms and baths, Bose radios playing classical music in the room when you arrive, gas fireplaces/woodstoves all the details. I have stayed there about 5 times, off season, in season...cannot be beat!
I love it!! Vickey is the best!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OBX4lifefan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

From the moment we arrived, our stay couldn't have been better. The Inn was gorgeous, serene and meticulously clean. The rooms even smelled beautiful, and the ammenities were top of the line, from the furnishings and fixtures, to the high thread count linens and Bose sound system tuned to classical NPR.

The suite had everything you could want; kitchenette with bar, separate bed room with closing door and a huge bathroom with an amazing jacuzzi with water views, plus two private balconies with stellar views of the sound and the wild life.

The Hostess Vicki could not have been more welcoming. And when she called us at check-out time, it was NOT to hasten our check out process, but to tell us to stay as late as we wanted, because there was no one coming to stay in the room that day!! We were so happy to have the room longer and be able to swim and clean up before our late flight. That has never happened to us before!

We just wanted to stay forever:)

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank vlgst9
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Getting ready to book our second stay at the Burrus House Inn. Girlfriends went there last year to meet another friend who was performing in "Lost Colony". It was the BEST place to stay. Wonderful common areas and decks overlooking the water. Couldn't be better for catching up with friends.

Room Tip: I was in the Beatrice Estelle. My friends and I had all three rooms on this level which made it pe...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kathryn S
Burlington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I always have a wonderful experience at the inn. The location is perfect. The rooms are always clean and very spacious. The view of the sound from the private balcony is amazing. The king size bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Vicki is always a pleasure. I hope to have many more wonderful stays at The Burrus House Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Erin A
Butler,PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Let me begin by stating that this place has gotten a poor representation on here. I wouldn't want a few bad reviews to deter you from booking at this wonderful Inn. My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay here. We are well versed in staying @ nice places. This was our first vacation without kids in 24 yrs so we were looking for beauty, seclusion and good value. This place could not have fit the bill more perfectly for a relaxing, private and very serene place to stay. Those of you looking for a "bed and breakfast", it is not. It is an "Inn" ...What you are going to get is a beautifully crafted, and well appointed accommodation, exceptionally clean, with many attentions to detail. Check in was a breeze. Just a phone call to the innkeeper that we were in early, and she welcomed us to come right over....Our suite #3, in my opinion, was the nicest of all 9 suites, offering the best views. The entire place gives a sense of luxury the minute you walk in, from the gorgeous decor, to the view, to the classical music playing on the Bose stereo system as you enter...Gorgeous furniture, linens, and the bathroom with oversized jetted tub is what I'll miss the most! There is a small kitchenette with sink, microwave and toaster. Dishes and flatware for 2-3 people and a few thoughtful details such as cheese slicer, wine opener, wine glasses. We had our "own" breakfast of some specialty pastries bought at the very nearby bakery/coffee house each day. If you are not inclined to do that, there is a McDonald's right next door or many cute cafe's in downtown Mateo which is a quick bike ride or walk away...Internet service was splotchy but found that using the common area, Peacock room, offered good service. Each day, the maid brought clean towels and emptied garbage, etc...tidied up the room. And Vicki, the innkeeper, was wonderful. She is very laid back and non-intrusive. As stated, this is an Inn, she lives there and therefore is not sitting in an office 24/7. She is always available by phone or email for any of your needs. She will be full of information to make your stay special. We followed all of her suggestions for dining and fun, we were not disappointed. In fact, we did the Lone Cedar twice because it was soooo good. After spending our first 3 nights, we decided we wanted to stay and extra 2 nights. No problem, Vicki was so accommodating. And even though we had to switch suites, it was no big deal as we got to enjoy 2 different suites. They are all beautiful. We will definitely try to come back here and hopefully in the Fall, as I want to enjoy one of those beautiful fireplaces. Bring your bikes!! The town is very quaint and enjoyable when you can ride around and take it all in, Parking can be tight in the downtown area. Thanks Burrus House, for a wonderful stay!!!

Room Tip: Choose Beatrice Estelle, Amelia Delnoy, or Reba Irlene for the largest suites or Frederick Arnold o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dazygal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Cameron House Inn
Cameron House Inn
#2 of 9 in Manteo
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Burrus House Inn? Share your experiences!