“But for the A/C blowing on the bed any time it came on the rating would have been excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
The Burrus House Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2014

But for the A/C blowing on the bed any time it came on the rating would have been excellent; however, it was difficult to sleep with a sheet over your head. Spent 3 nites here earlier this week. We were in Suite #1, the Amelia Delnoy Suite, which has a wonderful view of the Roanoke Sound to the east of Roanoke Island and many Osprey nests. We were up one flight of stairs from the undercover parking (which was very nice since it rained most of the 3 days we were there) with 2 units above us. The first 2 nites we must not have had anyone above us or the were much less noisey than the occupants on our last night. The Burrus House Inn has a fairly large number of units and is not a true B & B as breakfast is not included; however, it has a small kitchen with limited bowls, utensils, a frig and microwave. There were also both caffeinated and decaf coffee and paper towels so we did not have to buy much in order to enjoy our breakfast without having to eat out and thus save money.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm that the A/C issue mentioned above has been dealt with in any room you conside...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked the Reba Irlene suite because it seemed to have some features the others did not. Private balcony, 2-person shower, higher floor for better views, larger spa tub, etc. Upon arriving, we were told the air conditioning wasn't working in our reserved suite and were put in the Belton Bradford suite. Even though the rooms are the same rate, there is no comparison in their features. (I went inside the Reba Irlene to see what I was missing). The Reba was more secluded and private, while good ole Belton was on the main walkway right outside the office with 2 entry doors, One door was right in front of the bed and with 4 security lights just outside, I had to take the shower curtain and hang it over the door just to get the room dark enough to sleep in. I was never offered any compensation for the change until I went back to the office and expressed my displeasure with the disparity between the 2 rooms. At that point I was told she would take 10% off the rate. I felt 10% was peanuts but left it at that to avoid becoming irritated since this was the first night of a weeklong trip. Only 1 night in this room, thank goodness. I am now home from the trip and guess what amount is still charged to my credit card. The full original amount. While this property has great potential, poor customer service places it on my never to return nor recommend list. Don't count on getting what you are promised from this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RetiredTraveler3747
AZ
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a wonderful time at this lovely Inn! Beautiful view and everything was perfect! Vicki is terrific and all her recommendations enhanced our time in Manteo! A highlight was our pontoon ride with Captain Randy - a gorgeous afternoon and we learned so much! We highly recommend this beautiful inn, Vicki, Captain Randy and watching sunrise from your private porch! Pure bliss!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This inn was an amazing place for peace and relaxation. My husband and I stayed for the weekend and had the best view in town. The room was so nicely decorated and the private porches were perfect to see the sunrise. It is in a perfect location to visit many areas in the outer banks. Vicki the owner was hospitable and accommodating and so fun to talk to. You will not want to leave. Thanks Vicki for a great time!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I simply cannot say enough good things about this place. My husband and I along with another couple came here for some "quiet" time to rejuvenate our souls. We run a dog rescue and things are chaotic 24/7 to say the least and that's on top of our full time jobs. This place fit the bill 100 times over. I got up in the morning and took my coffee down to the little dock they have and took in the quiet and the beautiful views of the water..In the evenings we sat out in the sunroom with our wine and watched the sunsets. It's a nice walk to downtown or you can drive it in 2 minutes if you prefer where several nice restaurants await and more awesome water views! If you still aren't relaxed after all this, there is an over sized jacuzzi tub in your suite that will get you ready to hop into that awesome king sized bed!
Vicki is awesome, we are already making plans to return in the fall.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aida W
Powells Point, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I rented the entire inn this past September for family to stay at for our wedding. We also used the beautiful inn for our wedding parties to get ready in the day of the wedding. We all know having both sides of a new family coming together can be a little overwhelming, however the staff at the Burrus house made our stay a breeze! They couldn't have been more accommodating to our crazy request. They even allowed me and my 10 bridesmaids to get ready in the beautiful peacock room! I'm a local of the Outer Banks and I've never stepped foot in a more beautiful place!! My husband and I are planning on returning to celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary there!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kbkeith92113
Virginia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Vicki set us up for a wonderful 5 yr Anniversary weekend at her gorgeous Inn. Every stunning room faces the water with beautiful views of sound, birds, trees, and boats. The porch was comfy and a great place to have coffee each morning. The walk into Manteo was a nice hike and we enjoyed the views along the way. We ate an incredible anniversary dinner at 1587 in town, shopped and had awesome gourmet coffee at "The Front Porch Café" (Vicki recommended). The room was so spacious and beautifully decorated, the king size bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed the kitchen area to make coffee and tea, also having a fridge for wine and water was great. Nothing beat the jetted tub bath we soaked in for at least 2 hrs. A short drive to public beach access gave us a nice walk on the beach and to finish off our stress free, romantic trip, Vicki set us up with her friend and Captain Randy for a 3hr pontoon boat ride. WHAT A TREAT! Not only was Capt. Randy knowledgeable about all the beautiful yachts and fishing boats but had some hilarious stories of small town life. Even though it was a bit chilly we didn't feel the cold for all the fun we were having. All in all I can not wait to return to the Burrus House Inn and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing time. A side note, we have stayed at a higher priced B &B in the town of Manteo and there is no comparison to The Burrus House Inn , it was the better option, room size, hospitality, personal service, beauty of furnishings and little extras in the room as well as the best part...the views! Look no further for the best stay in Manteo!

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view but we stayed on the top floor (if you don't mind the steps) in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karin W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Cameron House Inn
Cameron House Inn
#2 of 9 in Manteo
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Burrus House Inn? Share your experiences!