“Beautiful but solitary.... great if you want seclusion”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
The Burrus House Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here only one night. It is a beautiful place - it is obvious no expense was spared when it was added on to the original house. We were thrilled to come across this at the recommendation of another inn that was booked. But it is a little creepy - we were the only guests but heard sounds coming from the room below all night long. The owner's large bird lurking on the stairwell railing when we returned from dinner in total darkness did not add to the experience. We had WIFI but I believe it actually came from the condos at the marina behind here so the quality of transmission was not great. There are so many nice, and less expensive, places to stay here that I wouldn't recommend this unless you really want isolation. Once you check in you are pretty much on your own.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank catvahine

Reviewed 30 July 2007

When we first arrived, we were so excited. It was a beautiful room with great views. We had to call someone via our cell phones to check-in and there was never really anybody around the place, in case you had questions or needed anything. Their brochure said that they had wireless internet access, but when we got there it did not. The owner lived at the inn on one of the floors and had that whole floor blocked off with wooden slats, which was kinda creepy. We never actually saw the owner, but you could hear him. They said they had a video library, but we never found it and no one was around to ask. The bottle of champagne in the fridge was a nice touch and so was the cheese and crackers, however there was no real breakfast served. We had cold bagels in our fridge and our toaster did not work. We were never actually able to get a good nights sleep there. The first night, the CO2 detector's batteries began to die at around 2:30am, so it began to chirp right in our ears. We had to unplug it from the wall and take the batteries out of it. The second night I had to go to the ER for a urinary tract infection that I believe must have come from the jacuzzi. I can't be sure about it, but the jets had stuck on gunk on them and did not look like they had been bleached. All of the light switches had grease prints on them. The bathroom was not properly cleaned. It grossed me out everytime I saw little hairs all over the place. And they were not mine. We also had to kill two roaches in our room. I find it to be a shame to have such a beautiful piece of property, but not maintain it for the guests. If you want privacy and seclusion, it's the best place to be. However, I do not think it is worth a $300 pricetag. With that amount of money, I expect a full breakfast and someone downstairs in the lobby at all times. Online, the inn is very careful to not mention what amenities they offer. We will not be coming back to this hotel. I wish someone else would have reviewed this hotel before we booked it..

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank daytripper1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast
Cameron House Inn
Cameron House Inn
#1 of 9 in Manteo

Been to The Burrus House Inn? Share your experiences!