“"Calico Jack and Mrs Calico are rude"”

Calico Jack's Ferry
Northern Va
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“"Calico Jack and Mrs Calico are rude"”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The boat captains were great but since the Federal Gov it taking over the ferries next year I guess Calico Jack is mad but he has a real attitude.
He told our friends that dogs aren't allowed even though their dog was in the back seat of the car.
Mrs. Calico snapped at a lady when she asked if there was a restroom??
Oh well I guess we don't need to worry about him next year.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Nevilledog

Suffolk, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun ride even in the wind”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Went on their Carolina Skiff today. The ride over was pretty nice but the wind came up pretty high and the ride back to Harker's Island was a bit rough. Felt very safe though, the captain was very safety conscience and made us aware of what to expect. We would use this company again.

Charles Town, West Virginia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Excellent ferry with polite captains but dont bring your charge card if you are there by yourself”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I love this ferry!- but the thing that annoys the deck out of me is the fact that they advertise a 10 dollar ride but wont charge unless you have 20 dollars or more. Im on vacation, and by myself, I get there early, but then because Im only 10 dollars by myself, I have to run up and down the island looking for an ATM in time so I can get on. Its irritating to have the added stress of trying to get money in time, and more than a little irritating that instead of them having to pay a minuscule fee from my card, Im paying an extra 2.50-3.00 in bank fees. This is the modern age. I expect this out of a cafe or service in say Atlantic or Cedar Island, but this is literally 10 miles from Beaufort, and they need to come up to the modern age. Also, another thing I find annoying is that if you are there and theres not enough for the ferry, they wont take your money and basically ignore you even though its 8:45 AM on a beautiful day. (meaning a lot of people are coming or will come.) Its pretty disrespectful.

That said, once on the boat its wonderful. The captains as a rule are very nice, knowledgeable, and do their best to see you have a good time. Really, if they could fix their customer service when you walk in, it would be 5 stars easily.

1 Thank booshkie1
Clayton, NC
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“We love Capt. Jack and his wife!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Capt and his wife and crew are always very safe and accommodating. They go out of their way to tell you facts about the area. We love the little store to grab snacks and the bathrooms are always clean.

1 Thank coverton1
Palatine, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Love this place! Hope we don't lose it!”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We love this service! They are helpful and efficient! They run every half hour to the Cape, which is great! The staff helped me find the Conch Tours that you can use on the Cape. The staff is knowledgeable about the area. There were some do,phones nearby so our captain went right over so we could see them! Thanks for this as we have never seen them.

They have changing rooms and bathrooms that are nice and clean

Last year we used them to go to Shackleford and the Cape. Consider doing this as you can get to the other end of Shackleford than the companies in Beaufort take you to.

They say this is the last year for ferry service due to the NPS contract. I hope it is not true! We will miss you.