“Fine.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Massachusetts
“Fine.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I will admit: it takes a lot for me to give a Very Good or Excellent (or even Average) rating. But it should, shouldn't it? There is nothing wrong with this hotel per se. It was clean (though smelled heavily of detergents in the room) and the staff was very nice. Check in was easy and check out was even easier. Parking is quite available. Breakfast was mediocre, and the second morning we were there we actually skipped the included breakfast to seek food (and pay for it) elsewhere. The location is good if you're headed to CRNP, and the staff had some good advice for things to see and do there. Free wifi, and also access to computers in the lobby. The cost per night was fine. This is an old EconoLodge that they are clearly doing some work on to revamp it. I guess there's no compelling reason not to stay there, but if I ever go back to Torrey I'll seek another deal at a different place and take my chances.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
mONTROSE, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

My wife and I spend two nights at the Red Sands Hotel. Here are the facts:
Rooms clean but plain
Towels - above average
Views (we were looking north and on the second floor) were ok but there are much better at other locations
Heater/Cooler (wall unit) - worked fine
Other: sink in room outside the bathroom. TV and internet worked without problems
Service: received promp e-mail of reservation confirmation. cheerful at the front counter
Free breakfast: actually did not try it
Price: paid $71 a night
Beds: very poor, need to be replaced

I could recommend this motel as a clean, plain, reasonable place to stay if the beds would have been even average, but unfortunately that was not the case.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

My wife and I have been hiking Capitol Reef National Park in early June for the past half dozen years. This year we stayed at the Red Sands Hotel for the first time. This spotless hotel is family owned and operated: not part of an impersonal chain. Large spotless rooms; very quiet; all you can eat hot breakfasts; very accommodating staff. The entire hotel is non-smoking, and is equipped throughout with smoke detectors and fire sprinklers.

Room Tip: Just far enough off the highway to be quiet.
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

This property recently changed names and ownership. We opted to stay in a king suite. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. The furnishings were plain but we were comfortable. The continental breakfast offered was only toast and coffee.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
AmberGemini, Manager at Red Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us a Red Sands Hotel. We offer a wide variety of breakfast items daily, including hot waffles, hot and cold cereal, juice, fruit, boiled eggs, toast and coffee 6:30 am – 9:30 am. We are very sorry if you were not able to enjoy our continental breakfast during your stay with us. We always try to make our guests as comfortable as possible.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

Originally I was going to stay at the Red Sands hotel for 3 night stay (pre-booked direct @ $70incl/weekend nights for a single queen room) for a planned 2-day hiking visit to nearby Capitol Reef NP; however, a change of plans allowed me to, for the first ever time, actually test the genuineness of a hotel cancellation policy. I'm happy to say that the pleasant reception staff at Red Sands (I think the lady was actually the owner....) didn't bat an eyelid when I asked to reduce my booking to 2 nights and the amendment was, to my relief, done without any fuss at all - my only observation being that I hadn't noticed beforehand that they offer a rather non-standard 48hr cancellation policy as opposed to 24hrs, so me declaring the change immediately was actually the last opportunity I had, rather than still having a day to decide.....lucky !

Going back slightly, first impressions of the Red Sands Hotel are good. It has a smart, imposing external appearance set-back slightly from the quite busy but still quiet Highway 24 which cuts through Torrey. Nearby, on the opposite side of the road there is a large petrol station with resident 'Subway' so for me I had all the required facilities for a short stay at hand ! Capitol Reef NP is only about 12 miles or so further along H12 to the East, on a mostly quite scenic route. The opposite direction takes you into Torrey proper, where this isn't much save for a well-stocked, but expensive, store.

The welcoming reception area is very airy as it includes an open staircase to the upper floor; unfortunately this does mean that sharp-eared people like me can hear all the typically rather loud conservations being held in reception, even when in your room as the 'noise' drifts upwards and along the corridor. If there were doors at the top of the stairs to 'close off' the floor I didn't notice them, but even if I had and had closed them to reduce the noise intrusion I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed closed for long thereafter.....

The bedroom was quite large and tidy, with an adjacent clothes hanging/luggage space, wash basin area and a large ensuite bathroom with WC. The furnishings and decor were pleasant and the bed was comfy with no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !).

Considering the sweltering weather, to my horror I soon realised that the room was NOT equipped with a fridge, nor microwave; I had lost track of my hotel bookings and simply assumed (esp considering the $70/night cost) these would be provided - disaster ! On reflection, I see their website advertises a fridge/microwave so where was mine ? They were certainly not in plain sight and had I checked their website again it would have prompted me to enquire; if they're in the room they're VERY well hidden, if not then the website is wrong ! Luckily, I was able to retrieve the situation a bit as the friendly kitchen staff stored my cool-blocks in their freezer, meaning the selection of perishable food items I was transporting around at least experienced a short visit to a cool climate.

It's worth mentioning here that if you get a room facing away from H12 (all the even numbered rooms I think) you will enjoy an extremely pleasant outlook over a field occupied by some very pretty, relaxed horses then distant peak views, including the edge of Capitol Reef NP to the left - face the road and that is all you'll get + potential traffic noise ! The single aircon unit worked effectively but the wi-fi connection was sporadic; the TV setup was fine. Also, whilst not for me, there is an internal swimming pool which I gather makes this hotel a big attraction....

Breakfast was a little better than average, as the mundane standard fare of toast/juice was complimented by fruit salad (except it was in a large bowl originating from a tin, not fresh), yoghurt and waffle-makers; there were the usual polystyrene plates/cups and plastic cutlery, yuk ! The staff were quick to re-supply/tidy up, but the seating arrangement was a little awkward as it comprised several long tables, rather than lots of individual tables. I was surprised and a little annoyed to find that the yoghurt supply dried-up from day 2 and that brown bread was NEVER available - apparently when stocks run out that's your lot until whenever their re-supply logistical setup kicks-in; I'm not sure how such a large establishment can let that happen nor remedy the situation, esp considering there are shops selling those provisions in the area - unforgivable really....

On the bright side, I was able to amuse myself watching the numerous waffle-making disasters that ensued at breakfast from those failing to follow the extremely basic instructions of : pour in mixture, close lid, flip-over the maker to start the cooking timer; someone actually shouted out that it was 'TOO COMPLICATED' in frustration when assistance came - you have been warned !

I found the Red Sands Hotel to be a smart and clean establishment, which is well-located for access to Capitol Reef NP and offers excellent room views of the local scenery; my requested reservation amendment, which satisfied the slightly-longer-than-usual 48hr policy, was done without any quibbles. For the price I would have expected the room to be equipped with a fridge/microwave (which was advertised but I couldn't find !) and certainly for the included breakfast not to be permanently depleted of such basic things as yoghurt and brown bread. I also think the wi-fi connection reliability needs to be monitored better and some effort made to blank-off the upper floor corridor from noise emanating from the reception area.

Room Tip: Rear-facing to give fields/mountain overlook.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

My family stayed at Red Sands Hotel the first week of june for six days! The breakfast was more than you're average continental breakfast. We visit torrey every year about this time but have never stayed at this hotel. It looks like they have done a lot a remodeling. They have made it feel very "home like." The staff was extremely helpful with recomending places in the area. And over all took care of being we were there almost a week. The pool saw great after hiking, especially since it is inside the building. The evenings cooled off alot so it was great,not to walk outside to get to our room. We took one day to drive out to goblin valley recommended by yhe manager, only an hour and a half away. That was very fun. Ask for a back view room of the mountains. We asked after we had been given a front view room to change and they switch us. We werr able to try a little variety of resaurants in town, slackers was great. The chuckwagon general store was a bakery and we had sack lunches made most days to take on our hikes. The Rim Rock had a great diner and The Patio was good with pizza and pasta plus they were open late. Most places close prerty early. We love capital reef and torrey is by far the cutest little town!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
jackson, miss
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

This is a perfectly fine hotel for Torrey, which appears to be a tiny little town. The hotel was clean and serviceable with a complimentary breakfast. The staff was helpful. It is nothing special but there are not a lot of choices in Torrey. If you have to stay in Torrey, this is a perfectly acceptable place to stay and is affordable too.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family