“A Great Stay in Torrey”

Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge and General Store
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We chose Austin's as our base for touring the Capitol Reef area. The owners are very friendly and the location perfect. Centrally located in town within walking distance of a couple of restaurants. The Chuckwagon General Store has everything you would need including a made to order breakfast which we took advantage of both mornings. We had originally booked a 2 bedroom cabin but an overbooking issue had them place us in their 3 bedroom Family Suite above the store. WOW! What a great room (more like an apartment). Extremely spacious with 3 good size bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and huge Living/Dining room complete with 50" flat screen and Satellite TV. The suite even had a private deck overlooking the Red Rock (Partial view). Only two issues keep this from a 5 star review. The room had no phone and the internet was spotty. Highly recommend the Family Suite for large groups or even a group of 3 men like us.

Room Tip: If your group consists of more then 2 couples then the Family Suite is a great option.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ronnyber

Reviewed 19 May 2014

When traveling we prefer to stay in locally owned properties rather than "big box" hotel chains. Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge sounded intriguing so that's what we opted for. The room was very clean, newly carpeted, and perfectly adequate. The weather was cool so we did not get a chance to try out the hot tub or pool, but both looked very nice. The property is very attractive with large trees around it. Free coffee or other beverage (at the General Store) was included with the room price, but no breakfast so we stopped at the Rim Rock Restaurant for a tasty meal on the way to Capitol Reef.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the second floor at either end for the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Austins Chuckwagon in Torrey Ut is the paradise of the grand circle. Family owned and operated with all the amenities in a beautiful rustic setting. Whether a hotel room or cabin the accomodations are engaging and beautifully appointed. General store has all you need from take out homemade deli choices to local faire and everything for a picnic. And all with a swimming pool and laundry facility as well as full service hair salon! Prices can't be beat. Located close to many of the gorgeous south eastern Utah red rocks with superior restaurant choices right in town. Don't miss this jewel in the middle of the Grand Circle.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed in one of the new cabins earlier this month and boy were we pleasantly surprised. Lots of room even tho there was only two of us.... Two bedrooms large bathroom with tub as well. Living room had large sofa(actually sofa bed) and TV with direct satellite service. Kitchen has full refrigerator microwave and all the implements and dishes you need plus large coffee maker. There is a covered deck on front with nice chairs and the big plus is a charcoal grill and picnic table! The rooms were very clean. The staff (especially Michelle) are very friendly and efficient. The grocery attached has great donuts every morning and free coffee if you are staying there. Good grocery options and yes the prices are higher but you have to consider the area is isolated. Can't think of any negatives here and we were told the entire motel was rehabbed over the winter.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildflower514
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our second visit to Austin’s was as satisfying as our first, if not more so. This place is great.

I had forgotten how neat and clean the rooms are here, and how nicely decorated. No shabby furniture or lumpy beds, as one might fear from a place with that name! ;-) I’m a clean freak, and I have to admit that I have a weird little test I always run on any room we’re in. The first thing I do when checking in to a hotel is check the bathroom for stray hairs. It’s amazing how often I succeed in finding at least one. Even at the upscale $250+ a night resort at which we recently stayed. Not at Austin’s! They passed my test with flying colors, especially since I didn’t find any on our last visit, either.

We were pleased to see the addition of a microwave since our last visit but disappointed there still isn’t a coffee maker. Never mind, there’s free coffee for guests at the general store each morning. A great excuse to walk over there and sample the delicious fresh pastries. You can also have a satisfying breakfast there and pick up a great box lunch for later.

Speaking of the general store, they have a surprisingly complete stock of just about everything. I was very surprised at the variety of items they carry from surprisingly fresh fruits and veggies, snacks, microwaveable things, beverages, you name it. They’ve probably got it.

There’s also a nice pool and hot tub, a sparkling clean Laundromat, even a beauty salon. Are you kidding me?

Austin’s is the place for us in the Torrey area. No need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AKLover
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed in one of the Original Chuckwagon rooms, and for the reasonable price, it was perfect. I had been camping, and wanted a room for a couple days to get clean and rested before finishing my 3 week vacation through Utah. The Chuckwagon was perfect for me. Basic room with bed, bath and small desk as well. It was clean and well managed. The owners/employees were great. I had a water issue with my shower, and the front desk clerk got right on it. I wasn't too put out, I understand that things happen. He fixed the issue and I had a nice hot shower on my return to the room.
The grocery and deli area was nice to have so convenient.

Room Tip: I opted for the "original" room which is above the grocery. I had no problem with sound...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous, clean little motel. Comfy, firm beds. Spacious rooms. Heated pool and spa with view of the mountains.
TV, microwave, fridge.
$100 inc tax. Older rooms are cheaper. Also have family cabins. Great value. Very friendly owner.
Free coffee in the store in the am.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank kittenwoman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrey
Capitol Reef Resort
Days Inn Torrey Capital Reef
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
#1 of 1 in Caineville

Been to Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge and General Store? Share your experiences!