“Mountain Retreat”

Mill House Lodge
Denver,NC
“Mountain Retreat”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our 4th stay at Mill House Lodge in 2 years. My husband and I are looking forward to our autumn visit this year as well. It is clean, the grounds are trimmed beautifully, the help is friendly and its cozy. If your goal is to sit on the porch with a drink in hand, and enjoy the tranquility and breathe in the scents of fresh cut grass, mountain breezes and rain coated long leaf pine, then come visit. You won't be disappointed. We look forward to our stay so much that we usually book our next stay within weeks of our return. It is a hidden jem I hardly want to tell others about, but looks like some have discovered it for themselves. Julia Z

Room Tip: Room 301 is nice because it only has a neighbor on one side and it faces the lake for coffee in the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Denver_NCJulia
MyMHL, Owner at Mill House Lodge, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad your accommodations were enjoyable and your had a great time. Let us know if you need anything or have any questions. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a nice experience at the Mill House Lodge. The room was clean. The bathroom could have been cleaner, but was alright. The bed was VERY comfortable. The location was perfect. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank D S
MyMHL, Public Relations Manager at Mill House Lodge, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We're very glad your stay was enjoyable

As a historic property we work hard to be a welcome 'home from home' for our guests, while you enjoy the wonderful location and attractions here in Western North Carolina.

We love that you felt our beds were really comfortable, and will certainly look at the bathroom, as we strive to provide not only a comfortable an relaxing lodge, as well as a very clean one.

Again, thank you for your visit and the feedback,

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Quaint and rustic. Clean and you can't beat the value. The owners where accommodating and though it wasn't fancy, it was clean and comfy. Our kids loved the pond and pool, and waking up to the sounds of nature is wonderful. Flat rock is situated in the middle of many outdoor activities. Check out Flat Rock play house, hike up to Glassy Top mountain for some spectacular views and breath on the fresh air!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Scartlettelizbeth
MyMHL, Public Relations Manager at Mill House Lodge, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We're glad you enjoyed your stay here.

As a historic property we work hard to create an enjoyable experience, and are very thankful to hear from all of our guests.

Flat Rock, Hendersonville and Asheville are just some of the wonderful gems here in Western North Carolina.

We look forward to serving you again

The Mill House Team
Greentown, Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The room was not rustic. It was dirty and musty. The floors were disgustingly dirty and I had a 2 year old that wanted to play on the floor. We were told there was free WiFi. When we couldn't connect we were told that, we just had to connect to the WiFi out on the porch and then go into the room. When that didn't work we were told that they didn't know what to tell us. Then when we talked to someone cleaning the rooms we were told that the WiFi never works in our room. Then we found out that, yes the WiFi would work if we were to sit at the pool or out on our porch and our porch faced a brick wall. Never mind that I wanted to use the WiFi in my room while my 2 year old slept.

The mattresses were old and the linens were worn and scratchy. The cabinet under the bathroom sink leaked; the only place you could put your toiletries. Not only that, our bathroom door wouldn't shut. We went to the front desk and complained about the door, we were told that the manager would be notified. We heard nothing.

I also found it very interesting that it was hard to pick a room for the time we wanted to stay in the area because their website showed everything was booked. In the two lodges that I was near, there were maybe 5 rooms rented. Two of those being booked by my party. I will say that when I checked out I complained about having to go over my data to be able to use the Internet. I requested a small refund for having gone over on my data and for the inconvenience. While I did receive a small compensation the entire experience left a bad taste in my mouth for this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MickeyMel123
Thank you for your stay. We appreciate that every guest has a choice as to where they stay. We work hard to ensure that our guests overall experience is as enjoyable as possible.

It is always sad to hear when a guest has a less than satisfactory visit. We thank you for your comments and as always review them and look to ensure that the next guest does not have a similar experience.

We would love to hear from you privately, so please contact us further via email - info@millhouselodge.com, please reference your stay.

We do know that other members of you party enjoyed their time here and stayed much longer, and again are saddened that your stay was not as expected.

Respectfully
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Don't even know where to start. It was an adventure for me and my 8 year old daughter. However, the adventure turned horribly wrong when the owner -BOB, ended up being the creepiest person ever. We cooked a pizza in the oven and the smoke alarm kept going off. I didn't realize until 3 alarms later that it was the carbon monoxide alarm going off. When I finally got someone to answer the office door, BOB (I figured he was a $10/hour employee bc of how he acted, but later found out he was the owner), was horribly unprofessional. When I told him about the carbon monoxide issue, he immediately started muttering under his breath and made me feel very uncomfortable. I won't even get into the whole story, but I've never had such a bad "customer service experience" ever. I'm a single mom and this night was my 8 year olds "present" for doing such a great job in 2nd grade. Too bad we were made to feel so weird from pointing out a danger to all the guests. We had to leave the hotel at around midnight to search for another room. I can understand an oven malfunction, but the owner's reaction to the issue made me feel truly unsafe. My daughter, who I just hiked the Camino trail with in Spain, was bawling and begged me to leave this place. Hate that he puts such a negative light on this potentially beautiful spot in the mountains. Ps / I've never given a bad review of anything. The only word to describe my experience was "creepy." My sister, after hearing our story, found another review saying how "creepy" Bob is. Beware.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank SOTss
MyMHL, Owner at Mill House Lodge, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback; we understand that you were upset about the incident, and value your opinion. The alarm/carbon monoxide detector was tripped as a result of the smoke from burning a pizza in the oven at 11:00 PM that evening. In addition, as we discussed, all the windows were closed, the fan was not running, and the air conditioner had been turned off.

As in any enclosed space -- especially an historic property -- ventilation and air circulation is a priority when using the stove and/or oven. Once the smoke was gone from the room, the alarm and CO2 light were back to normal.

It was quite an unfortunate incident, and we do However it was completely isolated to your room; No smoke detectors were lit or sounded in any other room. While I understand that you would have preferred us to vacate all of the guests from the lodge at midnight, removing the batteries and taking the alarm off the wall are never an option, and these actions pose more of a safety hazard to other guests, than our decision to let them sleep comfortably.

We regret your decision to leave our facility and find other accommodations. We did refund your money, and call you the next morning to follow up. We sincerely hope you were able to enjoy our beautiful mountains, and hope you will return in the future.
Aynor, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here about 18 years ago and just had not made it back. Thought we would try again. Though dated, the room in Lakeview was very clean and neat. We had our own porch complete with rocking chairs and a lovely view of the lake. Though truly minutes from every convenience, the location is peaceful and tranquil. We enjoyed the canoes and the paddle boats. We also like the idea of not being closed up in a hotel. Here, you can relax in your room, read on the porch or take a walk around the lake. The village of Flat Rock is 1/2 mile down the road and has a fantastic bakery. We also enjoyed the Garden Show this weekend in downtown Hendersonville ( a 10 minute drive)- we parked and walked along main street and enjoyed the many shops and restaurants there. Asheville is 18 miles from this location if you choose to go, however, we found there was plenty to do and see in the Hendersonville area. Had a minor injury and needed medical care. The Pardee Hospital is minutes from the lodge; we received excellent care there. Overall, a relaxing weekend. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Lakeview is really nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim M
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. It's wonderful that you returned. Though 12 years, between visits, lets hope you will visit sooner.

We're constantly looking to improve our guests experience and love that the experience keeps you wanting to come back for more.

Humbly,
The Mill House Team
Lewisville, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've stayed at this property several times & found it to be everything I required! Love the off the grid feeling & being close to major hiking venues! Location was great with regardd to meeting friends in Asheville later after hiking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank oek9mom
We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We love to hear from our regulars, and why they love it.

Thanks again.
#1 of 11 in Hendersonville
Mountain Inn & Suites Airport
Mountain Inn & Suites Airport
#2 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Mill House Lodge? Share your experiences!