“Beautiful scenery, no Bathrooms, Long lines”
Review of Sky Top Orchard

Sky Top Orchard
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Flat Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: We are only open early August to late November/early December each season. If you see hours listed here on TripAdvisor on dates outside this range, they are incorrect. Always check our website for the most up-to-date information. We are a Pick-your-own apple orchard offering family-fun activities including apple and cider tastings, hayrides and a nature walk through a "bamboo" forest. Our season typically runs from the first week of August to the last week of November or first week of December depending on weather and other factors.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery, no Bathrooms, Long lines”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

The apple Cider was very good and the apple cider doughnuts were also good. The views were beautiful and the playground was a nice touch. I was also pleased with the variety of non-apple jams and jellies available as well as apple products as expected.
I was very disappointed to discover there were no public bathrooms! Only port-a-potties. I had to go but just couldn't stomach it talk less of letting my little girl attempt to use one. The picnic tables were very rickety, it'd be safer to just spread a blanket on the ground. The Hayride (junkyard tractor pull) was so disappointing I'm glad it was only $2 a person. They don't accept Debit Cards but do have an ATM tucked away in the back corner.
The only reason I'd return would be to buy the preserves, jams, or jellies assuming I like them when I try them. I honestly can't think of another reason to return. The staff seemed to do ok at tolerating visitors but weren't very friendly. Right now it's free to enter and there is a free samples table. Only reason I'd recommend them is that they have the fruit spreads I was looking for. Aside from that, there's not enough to justify another trip.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mommie34

clemson, sc
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Beautiful place for apple picking”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Beautiful views, fresh apples in many varieties, crisp mountain air, and of course hot apple cinnamon donuts - these are the memories of Sky Top that entice me back each year. When we arrive reality hits - walking on hilly terrain for a mile to find trees that have apples low enough that my kids can reach them, long lines for everything, and remembering after waiting in long line that credit cards are not a valid form of payment. That being said, my family loves our trip each year and we will return - on a weekday morning when crowds are low and with cash in hand!

Fort Mill, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Need to upgrade the facilities to match the crowd”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I experienced 2 sides to our trip to Sky Top. The first was a fun experience with the kids picking apples, climbing trees and playing on and among the various child-centered attrations. The apples were tasty, the kids had fun, mission accomplished to a certain degree.

The other side was that at most turns the experience for the adults involved was one of frustration. As has been mentioned, they don't take cards, for which there is really no excuse with the volumes that they push through in this day and age. The lines were really long, which by them selves is not such an ordeal, but when you have to stand in 3 of them if you want apples, a slushie and some doughnuts, you're in for a 90 minute commitment, which at the end of a busy day is just too much to ask, so I skipped the doughnuts, to the chagrin of the rest of my crew.

Now the bathrooms.... All porta johns, and, by 2PM on Sunday afternoon, many were full, and sans TP. Now, when you're in a state where you're in the market for a porta john, such things are really no deterrent. You just make the best of things, and think that this must be what life is like on those dead-in-the-water cruise ships.

If you're the type who is not bothered by the sorts of things noted above, go to Sky Top. You'll have fun. Otherwise, you may want to rethink your visit.

1 Thank love_2_eat_out97
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Afternoon”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

A great way to spend an afternoon! The fun continues when you bite into a juicy apple that you picked yourself! We went on a Tuesday afternoon and there was no big crowd.

1 Thank Barbara B
Greenville, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Get there early!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was our first time picking apples with our 2 year old daughter and we enjoyed it. We showed up about 10AM on a Sunday in mid September and the crowd was just starting to arrive. By the time we left at noon it was packed. Our next visit will be earlier or on a weekday. If you are bringing a toddler and have a wagon bring it. The wagons that are provided become scarce quickly. We happened to get one from someone as they finished up. The selection of apples is excellent and the orchard is large enough that you don't notice the crowd while you're out picking. Be sure to check the website for availability of the variety you are looking for. It is updated daily. I've read comments about the staff being rude but I barely interacted with them at all. In fact, I was struck by how open and laid back everything was. We have been to pumpkin patches that charge for admission and then again for the pumpkins. This place was free to enter and the u-pick apples were 95 cent/pound. We spent $10 on apples plus gas money for a few hours of fun. If you're looking to connect with your local apple farmer and have some kind of transcendent experience this is probably not the place for you. If you have small children and are looking for a fun day trip have at it.

4 Thank PalmettoMac