“Very decent, but nothing special”

Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Flat Rock
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

During our stay, the food at the restaurant, which is pretty renowned, was average at best. The room in the lodge was acceptable but again nothing special, and really "creaky". Wifi worked well, which is sometimes a problem in "rustic" places.

Room Tip: If staying in the lodge, consider using a white-noise generator. It's "creaky".
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank 8,005,551,212
Kim S, Manager at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

We at Season's want EVERY meal and dining experience to be exceptional and are so sorry that you found your meal lacking. If you would be interested in elaborating on your comments, please call our Restaurant Manager, Cathy Horton, at 828-696-9094. We learn from constructive criticism and would welcome your input!
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in our lodge. This is an historic building and a better fit for your stay may have been a room in our Woodward House. You can see all of the accommodations that we offer on our website hlinn.com. We have something to fit everyone. We hope that you and your family will come again this summer so that you can have a very memorable Highland Lake Inn & Resort experience.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent recently just a overnight at this tranquil Inn. It is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, 1 hour north of Greenville, North Carolina.
Our room was very large and comfortable with a 4 poster bed surrounded with gauze curtains, very romantic. The room also had a fireplace and a Jacuzzi tub. More than we asked for.
The buildings are surrounded by beautiful landscapes and a small farm at the end of the property. a short walk to the lake and a dock, were people enjoyed the fishing.
Season Restaurant was excellent and the service throughout was excellent.
We most definitely will rest urn for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mbdeutsche
Kim S, Manager at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay at our property. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful visit and appreciate your kind remarks about the property and Season's Restaurant. We hope that you plan on coming back at some point this summer to experience the property to the fullest. We have a wide variety of activities that will keep you entertained including kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, bicycles, hiking, tennis, and our swimming pool. We look forward to seeing you soon and hope that you have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Give yourself a gift and come to the resort for a vacation, The lodge is charming, beds comfortable, good breakfast, every detail that makes the resort special are attended to.
If you just want to read, play bridge, walk, hang out with your friends this is the place to do!

I time my visit here with the Cashiers Antique Show, July 25-27, 2014. It is the best show I have been to and has 50 quality dealers, a gourmet lunch, lots of parking and makes a thoroughly entertaining afternoon. It is at the Blue Ridge School.

Room Tip: most rooms are great!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank melissab1984
Kim S, Manager at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. We are so happy that you had a great visit and hope that you will come back this summer and experience the property in full swing. Our pool opens this week and with all of the other outdoor activities on site we have plenty to keep you and your family busy and smiling. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

What a gem! The grounds were lovely- enjoyed walking to the nearby waterfall. Seasons restaurant provided a delicious breakfast. We needed a relaxing getaway and this was exactly what we found at Highland Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kim S, Manager at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Highland Lake Inn. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and you were able to get in some relaxation. We pride ourselves on this being a peaceful and tranquil experience for our guests and we are happy that we did a great job while you were here. We wish you the best and invite you to come again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Rather than stay at a chain hotel, I chose Highland Lake Inn even though it appeared to be more of a summer resort than a place for a February business trip. I was so happy to have made this choice! The lodge where I stayed was charming, with lots of places to sit and read, or spend time with family, and there was even a very nice kitchen to share. My room was huge, with a skylight, fireplace, massive bath, and a very comfy bed. The staff, however, were the best feature by far! When snow threatened to close down the entire area, the staff checked in with me regularly to ensure I was safe, had everything I needed, and would be able to park my car in a place without getting snowed or snow-plowed in. They even offered to take me in a golf cart from my car to the lodge. I would love to bring my family back in the summer (no snow!), to take advantage of the great facilities, including a nice lakefront with canoes.

Room Tip: Woodward House was a great place to have a private room, but a public meeting space.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your recent stay. I am sorry that your stay ended up being in the middle of one of the biggest snow storms we have had in many years. The storm limited your ability to really enjoy the property to the fullest. I invite you to come again this summer and bring the family. We have something for everyone. The lake is a big attraction in the summer and we offer paddle boats, canoes and kayaks for guests to get out and enjoy the water. We also are located very close to some of the most amazing waterfalls in the country. We wish you the best and look forward to your visit this summer.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I found the Highland Lake Inn by doing a search on Asheville, NC and then decided I wanted to find someplace closer to home here in Greenville SC. So I searched Hendersonville and finally Flat Rock, NC. Only 54 miles away. So by 1 pm on a Friday afternoon I was booked and... Well lemme just get to the point. We checked in about 8pm Friday night and they were closing the front desk at 9pm so KC had set me up earlier and Ashley checked us in that evening. There are three different types of accommodations. You can stay in the duplex type rustic cabins, the Lodge or the Woodward house which is where we stayed. It was a more modern looking B&B type housing quarters with I think she said 16 rooms. We felt like the only ones there. I have heard we came at a downtime in their season. But it was wonderful. They have a restaurant on the grounds that is called Season's and man is it nice! The price of our stay included breakfast for both of us each morning and a 50.00 voucher for dinner. But otherwise you would have to go off grounds to find anything to eat. There is an Ingles grocery within 5 miles I'd say. We ended up ordering papa johns pizza our first night since it was so late. This Inn is basically a quaint looking far mosh type community with a lake and some wildlife. Within the fence around our quarters were 4 very friendly horses. So I always ended up hanging with them a little. Anyway there isn't a whole lot to do there but if you want to just chill with your mate like I did or even drive the hour or so into Hendersonville or Asheville it would make for a great vacation time. The only complaint was that the room thermostat wasn't working properly because I turned it down because I'm so hot natured but it stayed like an oven I there and even my cold blooded husband was roasting. I can't think of anything else to write except just try this hidden treasure at least once. We are actually going back in a few weeks just to drive the 54 miles for Sunday brunch at season's, which I've read is incredible!

Room Tip: They have a pamphlet to review each room type!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank isfriendly

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We are so glad that you found us and now you can head back up the mountain anytime you need a get away. In the summer months there are many activities on site for everyone. We have a wonderful swimming pool. hiking trails, tennis, bikes available for guests, and of course the lake with paddle boats, canoes and kayaks. So come play this summer!! We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

While visiting North Carolina we elected to stay at the Highland Lake Inn, instead of a hotel, and we had a great time, rooms were comfortable, staff very helpful. In additional to overnight rooms, they have cottages and houses to rent for a week at a time. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kim S, Manager at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We are happy that you chose to stay with us while in our area. We offer a diversity of family fun and hope that you and your family will return in the warmer months and enjoy all that we have to offer from canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, bikes, hiking, tennis and swimming pool. We look forward to seeing you again and wish you all the best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flat Rock
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hendersonville SE - Flat Rock
Best Western Hendersonville Inn
Best Western Hendersonville Inn
#3 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville? Share your experiences!