“If not for the price...”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
“If not for the price...”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

First things first. I read other reviews where people obviously expect more for the price. Yes, the rate would fetch an elegant experience in most major cities. Guess what, this is not a major city. If you want to take your children to a place where adults aren't "enjoying themselves," as they were in a pool at another national chain, allegedly reputable hotel we drove by, accept the high prices the more well known, safe places will charge. Second, you know you are at a Fairfield Inn, so expect the standard, but nothing more or less. -- There was nothing wrong with our stay. The hotel was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and attentive. The complimentary breakfast had a decent variety and was on par with most Fairfield Inns. -- They will accept most discounted rates as in AAA, government, etc. Yes, the rate is highway robbery, but all the nice places seem content to commit the same crime. The following day, we paid $90 less at a five star resort in Taos.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Natasha G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I am a Marriott sliver member and used points for this visit with my nephew, niece and their 3 yr old. It was fine for one night stay but it would be nice to know that the pool was closed if a family were staying several days. The breakfast could only have been better if real eggs were used, as it did seem they were possibly powdered a bit odd tasting. Otherwise for one night the facility was good, and the fitness room was large enough for my nephew and I to use it for yoga as it was large enough to spread out two mats.l

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Kellie A, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kellie Araiza, Assistant General Manager
Fairfield Inn and Suites-Carlsbad, NM
KellieA@intermountainhotels.com
(575) 887 8000
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

My husband, young son, aunt and I spent one night in the Fairfield Inn. The staff was friendly, and allowed us to check in to our room an hour early. Upon inspection, the room and linens were clean and updated, with a green and blue color scheme. The bathroom was well maintained with no stains and plenty of towels. Breakfast was provided and included eggs, two kinds of sausage, a nice yogurt selection, bagels, muffins and other baked goods, waffle maker and assorted hot and cold cereals. The location felt safe, and the parking lot had good lighting.

The only cons for this stay were the pool being drained so we couldn't go swimming, and the eggs at breakfast were very odd tasting - most likely powdered - and we didn't finish them.

I'd recommend and stay here again; however, points were used to pay for the rooms and I cannot speak for the value of the room, financiall.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GypsyElfMaiden
Kingston, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Don't waste your money or points staying here! Pool is closed; the front desk has no idea when it will reopen. There are no outside areas to relax; no shade available since the pool area is closed. They really need to pressure wash the entry and public areas; very dirty. Not the Marriot property that I'm used to seeing. Poor house keeping practices; my bed was barely smoothed out.

Room Tip: Since it's on a main highway ask for a room on the back; truck traffic 24/7!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kellie A, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
First off I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Carlsbad. I apologize for any inconveniences our pool being out of order may have caused you during your stay. Unfortunately it is out of our control as to when it will reopen. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We've stayed at Marriott properties for over two decades and this was one of the worst. Right now there are not enough hotels for the demand in Carlsbad and the hotel must be using this to as a reason to provide poor service. Astonishingly, I caught the house housekeeping staff inserting their own "Do Not Disturb" sign in the my door in order to get out of making up the room!

Room Tip: Stay in Roswell or El Paso
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kellie A, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of any assistance, please don not hesitate to contact me directly.
Kellie Araiza Assistant General Manager
Fairfield Inn and Suites-Carlsbad, NM
KellieA@intermountainhotels.com
(575) 887 8000
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I used points to stay here because the price was so high. (The points price was very reasonable.)

Good breakfast. The hotel has an outdoor pool which unfortunately gathers a lot of leaves. There's also a whirlpool. In addition to the pool area, there's an open patio area for gatherings.

My biggest complaint was the windows. Terrible! Both nights I stayed there were windy, and the whistling and groaning noises were unbelievable. I was woken up several times.

The small gym was adequate for me (had a treadmill).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Pittsburgh
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,320 helpful votes
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our family stayed in a suite for one night in May. Overall, the hotel was ok but it wasn't worth the $230/night that we paid. From what I could see, the pricing issue isn't unique to this hotel as everything in Carlsbad seems to be priced too high.

I haven't stayed in a Fairfield Inn in a while but I was surprised that our room was so modern looking. It had the Ikea-based look of a W hotel. I would have preferred something more traditional. Also, I wouldn't recommend paying the extra money for a suite. Based on the layout of the suite, the extra room isn't very usable. Save the money and get a regular room.

The breakfast was good but it wasn't as good as the Holiday Inn Express breakfast that we got the night before in Alamogordo. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family