“very nice for Carlsbad”

Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Price range: US$0 - US$7
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: YellowBrix is a bistro style lunch and dinner venue. Our lunch and dinner menus are both available during all hours of operation,11am-9pm Sun.-Thurs. And 11am-10pm on Fri.&Sat. The menu consists of salads, sandwiches, pastas, and many steak and seafood options from the grill including a 24 oz. Cowboy ribeye. Our signature sauce selections are great compliments to our steaks! Upon request, our chef will "whip up" alternatives for the vegetarian and vegan guest.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Dined at YellowBrix for a lunch and then a dinner. Convenient walk across the street from the courthouse in downtown. One of the only places open in Carlsbad on a Sunday night that wasn't fast food. Nice selection of craft brews with some offerings from small N. Mexico breweries and the wine selection was adequate for meal accompaniment with decent pours by the glass. (Quite a find in this Bud/Coors Light region.) Service was average as the servers on both visits seemed disinterested and remote. The atmosphere is very nice; the front dining room has an airy, open fee, high ceilings with a modern, uncluttered look. The back dining room was less appealing as a low ceiling and low lighting gave it a cold feeling. The restaurant has a large patio seating area which looked nice for warmer season dining.

Lunch was eaten with a large group seated in the rear dining area. I enjoyed a chicken pesto panini with truffle fried potatoes. I sampled the pasilla chili soup as it drew raves from a local. Very good soup, great for a winter day. Lunch entree prices in the $8-12 range. The serving sizes were decent while maintaining inventiveness and quality. Service at lunch was very slow, although once engaged in a friendly manner the server cheered up. He was very knowledgeable about the menu but I had to work to get details. All things considered this was a good lunch.

Returned for dinner on a Sunday night. As stated there aren't many options in Carlsbad on a Sunday evening, the locales raved about the Chili's chain restaurant which had an hour wait time on a prior Sunday evening visit...really. I am happy the YellowBrix took reservations as I thoroughly enjoyed dinner here. Starters of bruschetta and spinach artichoke dip are standard fare anywhere but apparently 'fancy' for Carlsbad. These were prepared and presented very nicely here. I enjoyed several craft brews. Next up was a dinner salad which had a nice selection of greens and a good balsamic side dressing and an ample portion size. I had opted for the pasilla chili soup for my main course and had a very good green chili infused beer to enjoy. This soup is very good. Basic ingredients, red chile bold but not mouth searing heat, nice chunks of pork, great for a chilly evening. I sampled some stuffed chicken on risotto dressed with red chard. Very tasty and well presented, quality prep and ingredients shining thru. Service was just adequate, again, once the server warmed to us the experience was much better.

I would recommend this restaurant. Although stuck in a "small New Mexico town", with a little polish this place would shine in the 'real world'. There are just not many options for 'enlightened' dining in this town, or as one local friend said "oh, you ate at the yuppy place". As for the service standard I understood the 'oil boom' saps the labor force. Happily this was basically an 'un-oil boom' crowd here so once the staff was treated with dignity and respect, service improved. Try this place - it's not the finest dining, although by local standards it is refreshingly different.

1  Thank AzRat

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The restaurant has gone through quite a few changes since it opened up. It started as a casual restaurant, then began to lean towards a coffee shop, and now is decently formal (as formal as a restaurant in a small New Mexican town can really get).

Ignoring what the restaurant used to be and examining what it is now: I've been there a few times for dinner and lunch. The food is expensive considering what it is (off memory: most entrees were 14-20$). It's pretty good, though probably not worth 20$. I do like their chips, however. I've been to lunch in decently nice clothes and didn't feel out of place, but the dinners are fancier because it seems as though most people are there dressed up for dates.

All in all: More expensive than what it's worth, but I wouldn't say it was bad.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were in Carlsbad for the night, and trying to have dinner at The Stock Exchange Steakhouse, but it has evidently closed. We started driving down the main road and thought this place looked nice, so decided to give it a try. We were so glad we did. This place seems to get mostly mediocre reviews, but we thought everything was fantastic. We started with the calamari, and it was fantastic.....not overcooked and chewy, and the breading they used was different than any I had before. For the main course, I had the Scallops, which were great. I also tasted some of my wife's filet mignon, which was cooked to perfection and very tasty, and my son's stuffed chicken breast, which was tender and very flavorful. My daughter's hamburger was just OK, but those french fries made up for it (yes, I'm bragging on the fries.....they were breaded and seasoned, and tasted awesome). The wine and beer selection was very good, and we thought the service was pretty good as well.

1  Thank jjax12
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband, sister, mother and myself ate here before going on to the Christmas on the Pecos river tour. My husband had the scallops, I had the chicken, my sister had a salad and my mother had the onion soup. The meals were all OK, although my mother complained to the server that her soup was too salty. The server just nodded and said that lots of people complained about just that issue. The server didn't comp the meal or offer us anything in the way of an extra. Maybe the servers here are told to ignore a complaint. Probably won't come back here the next time we visit.

2  Thank losita
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

All of the appearance trappings are there (except for the tv showing an extended prostate medication infomercial). Sadly, the food and service didn't live up to the trappings.

The poached pear salad was good. I also had the fettuccini, which was ok, but nothing you would order twice. The sauce was thin and somewhat bland, and nothing else was remarkable.

I would overlook this if the service was good but the chef was unaccommodating and the wait staff were seldom seen. Glasses were left empty, and I think they only stopped once to see how we were for the whole meal.

1  Thank ecotect