“Hell no” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Portales, New Mexico, United States
“Hell no”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I believe I was gonna die the night I stayed here. First off the floors had not been vacuumed. There was animal hair everywhere. Second the animal slept in the bed, when I turned down the sheets there was animal hair all over the bed. So i called and asked for new sheets. The lady brought them and told me do it myself or I'd have to wait.

Next at 345 am, I was woken up by the most god awful blood curdling scream from a woman above me I've never in my life heard, "someone call 911". Not much gets to me. But this made me shoot up fm sleep, grab my knife instantly began shaking. I looked out the window to see what was going on. U cld hear her crying and hysterical. The man was down in his vehicle and now people were actually fleeing the hotel. I remained. I did not go back to sleep.

If rape and death are on ur toll of encounters please by all means, go ahead.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mn04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked this hotel from Travelocity.com before leaving Phoenix. We were planning on driving all day and staying the night before going to the caves and we didn't want to get stuck without a room for the night. The website showed all hotels booked for the night with only one room left at this hotel so we took it. When we checked in the gentleman at the desk was rude and charged my card before I could ask if they offered a AAA discount. For $120 plus taxes, $144 total, we got a room on the second floor. The room was clean and so were the sheets, but walls were paper thin and the beds as hard as a rock, the pillows were so thin they might as well have not been there. Oh and the toilet seat was broken and when taking a shower there was only luke warm water no hot water at all and watch out cause if someone else in the hotel flushes or is taking a shower at the same time you get cold water. Bring your toiletries with you cause the only thing the provide is a tiny bar of soap.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brianne S

Travellers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Estero, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were on the road and booked hotel through Booking.com after reading reviews from your site. First, booking.com claimed only 2 rooms left and price was far less than chains. When we got there, very few cars in lot. Woman manning the desk appeared to be living there with children. It is an old 2 story hotel which had been rennovated to some degree with flat-screen TV and bath rennovation. We booked it because they had a pool and we like to exercise each day in the pool-- no water in it! In disrepair. The break room upstairs for help was littered with cans, debris and hardly looked cared for. The air conditioner needed maintenance and made horrible noises. AAA sign outside ,but hardly believe it would pass inspection. The parking lot at 2:00AM was only 1/4 full.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beadazzled2013
Durango, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stopped in this mom-and-pop hotel after checking out a chain hotel and was appalled at the NY City prices they wanted. This hotel was friendly, more reasonable, and clean. We had plenty of room, a fridge, and all the essential amenities for traveling and staying one night. Would recommend for those who are on a budget. The bed was reasonable comfortable and ac, lights, plumbing, worked. Lots of plugs for phones and computers. Rooms have been updated to accommodate the modern traveler - Wifi and HDTV.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked this trip through Expedia around Feb/March time frame to travel Memorial Day week. We arrived - upon check in the person at the counter told me that I booked early and his prices have changed and I would have to pay the higher rate. I showed him my Expedia reservations with no such wording and told him he should honor the rate. He did. We went to our room - it was functional. The towels are think, my towels from basic training were better. We went to the Caverns came back during a horrible rain storm to find our room leaking water from the ceiling. I went to the front office, mind you on stairs that the water from the roof drains on to - you can't help but getting soaked. I reported the leak and asked for another room. I was asked how bad the leak was - I said does it matter? Was given a choice of a smoking room - had to turn down for health. We dealt with it. Apparently large hail storm the night before caused roof damage. My take is these are new owners and they are trying to learn the business. Oh ceramic tile broken in bathroom as well. Bed ok, if half the price of the other hotels and not looking for anything nice/fancy would be ok - but if Best Western or Fairfield similar in price would stay there.

Room Tip: If you stay -stay on second floor quieter and no car headlights coming into your room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
chandler
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Place was very dated, but appeared clean enough. Make sure to bring all your toiletries, they have none. Don't expect much, a little overpriced for what you get. It's close to the caves if that is your stop and right off the Main Street.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank tamlovestravel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Got stuck in Carlsbad broken down vehicle didn't have a place to stay found this hotel it was $80 plus for one night I definitely understand the economy there but I would never go back and visit the hotel again I have to say though the hotel room was clean bedding with clean everything is clean

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family