“Stay just for the amazing rooftop views!”
Review of Hotel East Houston

Hotel East Houston
Ranked #342 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montclair, New Jersey
“Stay just for the amazing rooftop views!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We stayed for one night over a weekend. It was pricey but I really wanted to stay here just for the rooftop terrace and amazing views. Yes, the rooms are small but this IS the city and apartments are this small here. If you are not planning on spending a lot of time in your room, then the small space should not matter. There is no breakfast available but they do have coffee and tea between certain times in the morning. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance of the hotel with mixed price points. We walked the Brooklyn Bridge and the views were phenomenal. At night we brought a six pack up to the roof and enjoyed the view of the Empire State Building. Make time to hang out up there. Rooms were clean and quiet (!) and service was friendly.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I enjoyed my stay for four nights at this hotel. Nice, stylish, clean place with helpful staff and fast wireless. I took a queen size room with a really nice bathroom which had effective air con in the intense NY summer heat. Also the roof terrace is really beautiful. Worth noting that although there is great tea and coffee all day tthey don't do breakfast. I would go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank anna g
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I had booked one of this hotel's single rooms. The room was so small, smaller than indicated when I booked the room, that I had to remove one of the night stands from the room in order for my suitcase to fit in the room. To make matters worse, it was difficult to unpack it, as the tiniest of tiny wardrobes only fitted 4-5 hangers. When I asked at reception where I should leave my luggage, the only response I got was that they knew the room was very small and that I had to live with it. They suggested to bring more hangers, pretty useless, as the tiny wardrobe could only hold the 4-5 already in there. This hotel should really give more consideration to its guests, for example by providing some extra shelves so that one can actually unpack luggage. And why dark wooden panels on the walls, this makes the room optically even smaller!

On the plus side: I liked the wooden floors and the shower. The bed was not bad either, so I basically only used the room for sleeping. Nevertheless, definitely not an experience to repeat and not good value for money.

Room Tip: Don't trust the room sizes given. In reality they are much smaller and you also have to take int...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lizzzzzzzzz
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at your hotel last July and I was recently reminded about my stay. This hotel is amazing, especially for those of us on a budget. We had such a pleasant stay, in a very clean, quiet, and beautiful room. We expected the room to be smaller, obviously because it is NYC, but it was very functional and exactly what we needed. I will definitely stay here again. LOVED IT!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed here for 5 days in May. Reception staff were very friendly and the hotel had a very welcoming feel to it. Room was very small but adequate as sightseeing most of time. Tea and coffee available in basement as well as free internet access. A little noisy at night plus our room on 6th floor suffered from a noisy generator. However, overall very comfortable with good restaurants nearby and less hectic than Midtown Manhattan. Also pleasant roof terrace with good views. Would recommend to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The room was small, however, the hotel is well kept, beautiful, worth every penny spent:) Our AC broke down and they fixed it immediately. Coffee was fantastic! Right next to the subway...we went to da Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn & Manhattan. Very nicely located.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janet K
Balzers, Liechtenstein
Reviewed 10 May 2013

East Houton Hotel has small rooms with nice bath rooms, comfortable beds in a convenient location with a really nice rooftop bar/garden/balcony and free wifi. Can be a little bit nosy with the east houston street in front of the room but during the night is generally quite. Homepage better than the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple