“Location a plus”

Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
Ranked #219 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Location a plus”
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Hotel was ok. Room wasn't ready when we got there, was told to wait 15 mins. 40 mins later (after I had heard the cleaners say a (the) room was ready 20 mins previous I had to ask them again if our room was ready. Sure enough it was the one the cleaner had told them was ready 20 mins prior!

Location was good, very close to times square.

Room had a full kitchen facility which is good for any long stays. Not good for me who is a lite sleeper so heard the fridge all night.

Hotel offers a free DVD facility, plus a drink/food section in the lobby for reasonable rates.

Stayed June 2012
, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Good day and thank you for taking the time out to rate us on Tripadvisor.com. We do apologize for the wait on your suite, but we are glad that you were able to enjoy our mini store and complementary DVDs. Hope that you return soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This hotel was perfect for our 2 week stay in New York City. The staff were very pleasant, always greeting us as we walked in and out for the day. The location was great! Only a few minutes’ walk from Times Square, The Subway and great places to eat. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and nice. I believe they had just renovated the rooms not long before our stay. There was no issue with noise from outside, we couldn’t even hear construction going on across the road at the time of our stay. Another good thing about this hotel is that the longer you stay the less you pay for the room per night.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Greetings from Times Square! Thank you for writing us on tripadvisor.com. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also pleased to hear you enjoy our location and all of the local attractions around us. Hope to see you soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Rooms here are spacious for New York. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and happy to accommodate any request.

The location is fantastic and just a quick walk to Times square and Broadway. There is a subway station close by as well. Overall a nice comfortable stay for my wife and I.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Good day and thank you for writing us on tripadvisor about your stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and our staff was able to accommodate all of your requests. We hope to see you and your wife return to our property soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2012

In early June we spent a week at Candlewood Suites while attending BEA. We spent a week in 2011, and enjoyed our stay . Very nice hotel, loved having full size refrigerator and the microwave. The room is small and our room only had a double bed. -:( but will stay there again because of cost and closeness to Javits Center. Great helpful staff!

Room Tip: Room is small.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hello and greetings from the Big Apple! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on tripadvisor.com. It is our pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our in room amenities. We are glad to hear you would like to stay with us again and we hope to see you soon! Happy travels!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed here for 1 week. This relatively new hotel is located within walking distance of Times Square, Broadway, the subway & bus station. The staff are helpful and friendly, nothing is a bother. The rooms are clean and very comfortable with a well equipped kitchenette, and everything works.
Although the street looks a little shabby we felt quite safe walking to the nearby restaurants.
If self catering, there is an excellent supermarket a couple of blocks away. (approx 7 mins walk). Short term parking is available in the street for luggage drop off and an airport transfer bus, "Go Airlink" can be recommended. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms per floor and if staying for any length of time ..03 or 04 are slightly large...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ronden2012
, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Hello and thank you for writing us on tripadvisor.com. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to provide you with everything you needed during your time with us. We are glad you were able to take advantage of our hotel ammenities and all our local restaurants and attractions. Hope to see you back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Mixed review on this place. The price is better than most, and the location is nice if you're looking to be near Time Square and close to a subway entrance. But as you'll see below, management is not responsive to their customers. I emailed IHG and told them of my bad experience and how I heard nothing back from management. I told them I'd love to give them a chance to respond so I didn't have to post this review. They put me in touch with someone who, guess what, didn't respond to my call!

My review is more with the customer service. They put on a big show at the front and I thought I was going to get what I have come to expect from the InterContinental Hotels and the reason I have chosen as of this year to direct all my loyalty from another award program to IHG.

So at the airport I realized I made the dreaded mistake of leaving my phone charger plugged into the wall of my room. I emailed the hotel about my charger, providing my name, room number, and Priority Club Rewards seeing if there would be any way to send it to me (noting I would be happy to pay shipping charges). I quickly got a response that seemed promising asking for a bit more detail. I provided the woman the information and heard nothing. Emailed a week later for follow up, and still nothing. Called and got the run around. And now a month later, am not only without my charger, but without a return email to say yes we will return it or no we won't.

Here is the most telling part of their customer service: I even went to IHG corporate and emailed them saying I had a frustrating experience, and would love to give them a chance to address it before I posted this review. They put me in touch with a manager who emailed me saying he would like to speak and when I called and missed him, he never returned the call. How many times do you give a hotel a chance to excel in customer service? In my case, it seemed like one too many.

It's really a shame. Again, location is fine enough but the customer service leads me to believe this hotel has a lot to work on. I expected more from an InterContinental brand and hope this is not a sign of things to come for my upcoming travel season.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Patrick F
, General Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. I sincerely apologize you were not responded to in a timely manner. If possible I would like an opportunity to resolve the miscommunication. We pride ourselves in providing exemplary service to our guests and we do not accept anything less. Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience, as I would like to make this right. Thank you for your time and patience.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I recently stayed at this property and LOVED IT! In the future, I will definitely return. Rooms are small but clean. The AC WORKED!!!! That was important during this recent heat wave. It was very convenient having a kitchenette to save some money on breakfast, snacks, water bottles, etc. The room was very quiet. The location is GREAT. Very near the Port Authority train station. Duane Reade and Starbucks are on the corner. Walking distance to theaters, Times Square, many restaurants. Never hard to catch a cab, if needed. The front desk girls were awesome and very helpful. Comfy bed. Snack bar with lots to choose from. Try it, you'll like it!

Room Tip: I'd choose a room higher up, away from the street. Prevents street noise, honking, sirens, etc.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Greetings from the Big Apple! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and are looking to return to our property. Our location is central to many local attractions, shops, and restaurants, which makes for a nice stroll walk around the city especially when the weather is as beautiful as it has been. Happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our Cupboard. Our staff thanks you for your kind words. We hope to see you soon!