“Excellent location, amenities and value”

Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
Ranked #237 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Candlewood Suites provided a perfect base for us to explore New York. Situated on 39th St between 8th and 9th Ave, it was close Broadway theatres, many restaurants and to transport, buses and Metro (Port Authority), to anywhere else in Manhattan/New York.

Access from JFK was easy via air-train to Jamaica, Long Island Railroad to Penn Station and a short taxi ride along 8th Ave.

We felt safe in the surrounding streets, as we did anywhere else we wandered in Manhattan by night or day.

The suite (combined bed/sitting room/kitchen and separate bathroom) was small but adequate for two, had plenty of storage and was impeccably clean. It was serviced weekly. Clean towels, supplies of shampoo, detergent etc. and garbage removal were available on request.

We appreciated the well-equipped kitchen, a table and chairs as well as a very comfortable bed, blackout curtains, armchair, iron and ironing board, huge TV, free internet, also a DVD player that we were too busy to use. We made good use of the free guest laundry but were too busy to visit the gym.

The front desk attendants were welcoming and assisted with our many inquiries. Reception had a computer/internet screen that facilitated booking tours and theatres, also a computer/printer to print vouchers, boarding passes etc.

There was an Irish pub with good meals almost next door on 39th St and a variety of restaurants on 9th Ave. We enjoyed AceLuck Thai especially. “Cooking in” was easy with excellent fresh foods from the farmers’ market and the fish market on 9th and the supermarket on 42 and 10th.

Our only downside was that our first week’s account was put on the credit card that the hotel required as security instead of the pre-loaded-with-US$ debit card that we wanted to use. We sorted this for the remainder of the stay.
Otherwise Candlewood Suites ticked all our boxes and offered better value than other accommodation we reviewed for February/March 2013. It doesn’t have or claim 5-star opulence, daily cleaning, room service, in-house restaurants and live concierge. If you want these, it’s not for you.

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Teresa V, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Greetings from NYC! We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay. We appreciate that you took time to give a thorough feedback of your experience with us and we hope to see you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed 21 March 2013

The hotel has all the positive aspects. It is located at walking distance from Times Square - one can walk to Times Square in 10 minutes. Room and toilet were clean. Rooms have a kitchenette and refrigerator. The rates are very reasonable. The staff is courteous and friendly. Will stay again if I need accommodation in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you found us accommodating in all aspects. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 20 March 2013

just back from new york we stayed from fri 15th march till tue 19th ,this hotel is excellent location everything is on your dooestep.all staff were very friendly and helpfull. what we enjoyed most was the space we had in the room a fully stocked kitchen and big bathroom.the room was very clean and bed very comfortable.we stayed on 4th floor room was very quiet .

1  Thank 186616Damien

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was quiet and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The closet was very small. The room was equipped with fridge, stove, microwave, and dishwasher plus utensils, plates, and cookware. They gave us a room on the 29th Floor so we would not hear the street noise, and it was indeed very quiet. We were not aware before we checked in that this hotel does not offer daily room cleaning, but they were happy to provide fresh towels, etc. if we needed them and asked. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel even offered free laundry facilities with several washing machines and dryers.

The staff was constantly busy resulting in a wait every time we wanted to speak with them, but all staff, including the maintenance and housekeeping, were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of Times Square, Macy's, Madison Square Gardens, Broadway, etc. For the few times we actually used the Subway (which was very safe, by the way), the Subway Station was only a couple blocks away, so very convenient. The hotel is surrounded by eating establishments from mom and pop shops to fine dining restaurants.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a comfortable stay at a comfortable price.

Room Tip: The higher floors on the back side of the hotel are quieter because you don't get the street noi...
1  Thank TravelingAssociate
MonicaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Greetings from NYC,

Thank you for your feed back on your most recent stay in our property. I am happy to hear you found all of our accommodations comfortable and our location was ideal for your travel needs. It is always important to get a good night rest when you are exploring the city! Thanks again for your time and we certainly hope you choose us as for your next trip to the big city. Happy Travels.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

My review of this hotel may be a little bias the greeting that hit me as I entered my room was above and beyond anything I expected. This trip was a birthday / anniversary combo and it was my first time visiting New York. Imagine my surprise when my husband and I entered the room to heart shaped towels and a bag a candy labeled Happy Anniversary! We checked in extremely late tried from a 7hr delay from a snow storm that didn’t happen and the candy was a much needed boost of energy. Check in was quick and easy. Apart from the welcome the room was a decent size, the staff appeared friendly and willing to assist. The hotel is just minutes from Broadway and everything else with plenty places to eat. The only con was no housekeeping. Usually I don’t think much about housekeeping on vacation because I don’t mind cleaning behind myself but for some reason on this trip I really missed it. I felt like a nuisance calling for tissue, towels and linens plus I don’t like stuff on the carpet and I really wanted to vacuum after 5 days in one room. However to be fair, they advertise once a-week housekeeping and you get a reminder at check in. All in all I would recommend this hotel to a friend but as for me I don’t think I’ll be visiting NYC anytime soon I found the city boring, over priced and way too dirty for me.

Room Tip: WiFi not that great, try to book closer to ground level.

Greetings from NYC,

Congratulations on your anniversary and your birthday. Two very special occasions we thank you for celebrating along with us. We are so honored for your praise and are glad to have been able to exceed all of your expectations. Don't forget us the next time you are celebrating another special moment and let us know in advance. We will continue to provide you with the highest level of service. Thank you and hope you have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights on business. The location is within a short walk from Times Square and only one block from the A-C-E subway line. The drug store Duane Reade is only one block away where you can get all your sundries. The room is very comfortable. It is a good size by Manhattan standards. The bed was very comfortable. The desk and desk chair were also very comfortable for working. TV has enough channels to keep me stay updated. The HD channels are truly HD (unlike certain other hotels that despite having an LCD TV chose not to subscribe to real HD channels.) The bathroom is clean and functional. The kitchenette is perfect for an extended stay. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. Even maintenance and cleaning staff says “good morning” in the elevators. That is extremely rare in Manhattan! I was on the 5th floor but there was never any noise from the traffic from the streets below. I will definitely stay here again but I have a few suggestions for improvement. 1. I would prefer higher speed internet access. I find it a bit slow at times for work purposes. The system does not remember that I have already logged in for the day and I had to constantly log in on my cell phone and on my tablet. But free internet is well worth the minor inconvenience. 2. I found the water in the shower to be tepid and I would prefer it to be hotter. On a couple of occasions, I had to turn off and on the water a few times just to get the warm water. The Irish Bar up the block has surprisingly good food and there are many decent restaurants within walking distance. I ordered food for delivery from Ollie’s and delivery was swift with tasty food and excellent value. Overall the hotel delivered very good value and I will definitely stay here again whether it is for work or pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Greetting from the Candlewood Suites family,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiecne with us. I am glad you enjoyed all of the in room accomodations and our saff was pleasant. We are at a great location! I am happy you were able to take advantage of all New York City has to offer. We appreciate all of your feedback and we will definitey continue to work on our services. Thanks you for your time and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

First time in New York and after being warned to expect expensive but small rooms with nothing special, I was not expecting to get what I found. It was extremely overwhelming trying to pick a hotel so I've done my research in the little time I had since this was a last minute trip and read many of the reviews here and many other hotels but always came back to this one due to the numerous high remarks and yes the time they put into reading and replying to their reviews. It shows their level of responsiveness and they care to improve. Everyone was spot on when mentioning the great customer service (they held our bags since we arrived 9am and check in was 3pm and offered a restroom to freshen up), convenient location, cleanliness, adequate room size, kitchenette and supplies, comfortable beds, great water pressure & hot water (nice to take a hot bath after spending 12 hours in the cold exploring New York), working A/C, warm cookies, free coffee downstairs, laundry & workout rooms (although we didn't use these). We felt safe walking outside of the hotel and the neighboring streets, great view on the 29th floor, quiet, and didn't need to wait for elevator. Two drawbacks: one out of the five mornings didn't have internet connection but not a problem since we were on our way out and there's tons of cafes with free internet and bathroom could have a hook or two to hang towel(s) and/or clothes. Still, I would highly recommend this extended stay hotel to anyone. Any hotel I stay in must be safe, clean, and have great customer service. This hotel met all of these expectations so to get it at a great rate made it even better. Thank you Candlewood Suites for making our first trip to New York City welcoming and giving us five comfortable nights.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room with a view and they graciously gave us one. Room 2904 was quiet and we c...
3  Thank MDLMKP
MonicaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Greetings from NYC!

Thank you for sharing such a kind and helpfull review with our tripadvisor community. I can only imagine how challenging your search must have been, especially with so many options to choose from. I am glad our guest feedback and our genuine care impacted your decision in choosing our property. Our staff is dedicated to each of our guest and go above and beyond to make them feel at home. Thank you for allowing us to make your first trip to NY a memorable one! We hope to see you soon.