Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
Ranked #236 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Not a bad choice if you want a cheap but reliable property, especially if you are an IHG/Reward Club card holder, but very surprised to see it got a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor as it really is in the 'cheap and cheerful' category.

Rooms are OK - small, pretty basic but clean and bed not too bad.

And it is important to note that it is of course NOT on or by Times Square - it is in a quite different type of neighbourhood and a good 10 minutes walk from the Square itself. If you want to stay on Times Square stay at one of the many (higher star, and more expensive) hotels that are on Times Square itself.

Finally, the hotel is very, very similar in room type and quality to the Staybridge Suites (also IHG hotels) that it actually backs on to, the only difference is that Candlewood Suites are a little more informal - Staybridge looks a touch posher and has a little shop in the lobby, Candlewood more relaxed and had a DVD collection you can borrow films from.

So my advice would be, if you want this kind of hotel in this part of town, to look at both and book which ever one happens to be cheaper when you want to stay (as prices at both fluctuate wildly all year round).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Teresa V, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear valued Traveler! Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your advise to the traveling community and hope that we can suit your needs in the future. Thanks again and safe travels.

Regards,

Teresa Valenzuela
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

stayed for 8 nights, clean room and bathroom, full fridge, microwave, small burner stove, all very clean. Stayed on high floor, not much noise from street, no problem sleeping. Trash can be placed outside door at night and it will be picked up before morning. Ate breakfast there only plus take out brought back. Drug store not far from there which has a grocery section. Little store in lobby, available if needed for snack food or drinks, etc. Safe in room. Recliner in room with table and 2 chairs plus flat screen TV. Free wi fi in room, never had a problem with it. Not great selection of channels but then again your not there to watch TV. Bonus is free use of washers and dryers, just bring your own detergent and fabric sheets for dryer. Safe in room. They will clean room half way thru. If more towels, toilet paper, etc. is needed just call front desk and you will get them fast. This hotel is close to Times Square and area, safe for walking at night. Able to walk to Penn Station for train to Newark Airport no problem, about 10 mins. or less. Train to airport cost $12.50 each. Only suggestion would be to have extra tissues, toilet paper, and hand towels available. Need to have more garbage bags in rooms but a better quality bag, the ones there tear very easily. Would not have minded bringing garbage to another location as the container near the elevators is too small and hard to fit garbage in. Staff are excellent. Air conditioner was good, we turned it off at night but used to get up halfway to turn on again because it got warm. Turn down on low to have it run quieter.

Room Tip: pick higher floor for less street noice
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from the Candlewood Suites Times Square Family! We want to thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this helps fellow travelers find accommodations. Again, we thank you and hope you can keep us in mind in the future.

Teresa Valenzuela
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed July 22 to 29th 2014. Great location. Very close to everything. Clean, comfortable, and quiet. The staff were great. The room was clean and very comfortable. We would stay here again. Around the corner to the west is a little grocery store that we shopped at. We decided it must be good if the FDNY shopped there. Only 6 rooms per floor. Having a kitchen was also a bonus. Two burner cooktop, microwave, full size fridge with ice maker, dishwasher and dishes. Free laundry facility in basement. 5 washers and 4 dryers. Close to subway and bus. 10 min walk to Times Square and Hop on Hop off buses. Maid service is once a week, but if you require fresh towels or bedding before a week, they will certainly provide it for you. Broadway shows are a very short walk from here as well. Very well situated to all tourist attractions. Ticket machine in lobby to buy and print tickets to hop on hop off buses, Broadway shows etc. Free coffee in lobby. Air conditioned.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front had a nice view, and traffic noise was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wichs
MonicaNarvaez, Front Office Supervisor at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Greetings from NYC,

Thank you very much for taking the opportunity to review your experience with us. I am glad all of your accommodations were to your liking. Please visit us soon on your next adventure in the city. Thank you and I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here, 2rooms on June 17th & 18th 2014. Can't remember the room numbers but have sent them to the hotel in a previous review asked for by the hotel itself by email on 6/22/14 which was never posted. We were either on floor 10th or 11th and the hotel has only 6 rooms per floor so should be able to figure it out and I'd be willing to give TripAdvisor my name if that helped. And THEY KNOW WHO I AM SINCE I got a automated response by email from Candlewoodsuites.com on 6/25/14 at 12:19 pm in response to similar negative post below. Here is their response: "As a valued guest your concerns are of the utmost priority. One of our agents will be reaching out to you within 24 hours. We apologize for the experience you had at our hotel, and thank you for bringing it to our attention." That was 6/25/14 today is 8/2/14 and i have heard nothing from Candlewood despite their promise of getting back to me within 24 hours. They obviously have my email, and they got my phone and billing address when i made the reservation, AND i got fully billed for the entire stay and I am quite sure they could get my info from the credit card co. They obviously do not care about HUGE Security issues. No excuses for not following up. Okay, here is what happened, after we checked in and after the first night review would have been ok: no view, refrigerator very noisy but we unplugged it and AC only worked if you cranked it down by over 5 degrees where you wanted it and even then then it was too hot and reverted to "72" degrees as the setting despite what you set it at. So, at this point we'd have given this place a 3, but crediting for the price for the location and would have gone back. Its an awesome location and they do take gov't rate. However, on day 2 there, June 18th, we had all retreated to our rooms to rest and around 4pm, my daughters in one of the rooms notified me that 1/2 hour earlier a strange woman entered the room with a KEY and said it was her room. She ended up apologizing and leaving to go back to the front desk for another room. So, I found out about an hour later and my daughters told me their key cards no longer worked. My mind immediately went to "what could of happened" like suppose one daughter had gone to the gym, the other in the shower, and the intruder not a nice woman who leaves but a man with issues....and who knows what could have happened. ANYTHING. I went down to the front desk. [ and no, at this point no one had called to alert us from the hotel to either my daughters room or ours that a mistake had been made someone was misatkenly given a key to one room, and their cards would no longer work despite that the front desk must have known from this woman herself that a mistake had been made when she returned to get an unoccupied room.]At the front desk, when I explained what had occurred, I was greeted with about the same concern as if we had not enough shampoo. In fact, the scary thing was, she initially said "WHEN did this happen?" So, my thinking, How many times does this happen at this hotel that they have to ask WHEN this type of thing happens? This is a small hotel with only 2 monitors at the front desk. The woman we talked to seemed to be management since there were only two and she was senior since she was in a blazer, the other woman in a blue polo. The senior woman, after asking asking us the ridiculous question of when this happened then offered us a snack from the snack bar and 1000 points in the IHG system [FYI, 1000 points is nothing, you need ~10,000 for one free night in the middle of no where.] Getting a snack or anything else for free was not my intention, my sole intention is having the hotel figure out HOW this happened letting me know HOW this happened so i can can feel like i can ever safely stay with YOUR CHAIN again or any other again. Getting some excuse from the hotel that "apparently the computer showed that room as available" which is what we were told is obviously not enough. I have some ideas that i didnt realize until after i got back home based on some inconsistent emails I got from the hotel and our reservations and what the reservation person said that may help, but like I said we never got any follow up. As an aside, the night this all happened we got a personal visit (albeit late and it woke us up ) from the female in polo shirt who was at the front desk. She gave us a note of apology and a bottle of "wine" that actually had a list of ingredients. We left that for the maid thinking this was a sweet gesture from an employee who is being blamed for a hotel or corporate level software issue problem. The time for apologies is over. I'm heading to higher authorities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Sbelle65

First and foremost I would like to sincerely apologize for all of your inconveniences and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Our guest security is one of our main priorities, we are so sorry you did not feel comfortable and your family did not have a pleasant experience. We would very much like an opportunity to speak with you further. Please feel free to contact myself or a manager on duty to discuss your experience in detail. Thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is the worst Hotel experience I have ever been subjected to. Dirty rooms, no service, single tiny lift, bad street, room with the bed up against the wall making it prretty difficult to get in and out of bed. This Hotel has no redeeming features at all. I marked it 1 out of 5 as it is not possible to give zero. Never ever again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnneNap33
MonicaNarvaez, Front Office Supervisor at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Greetings from NYC,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for all inconveniences and for not meeting or exceed your expectations. I would greatly like an opportunity to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact myself or a manager on duty at any time. I hope we can hear from you soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great location to access Times Square (10 minute walk) at a lower price point. Close to the 42nd St bus terminal (5 minute walk). Give yourself more time to get to some of the more north-situated theatres on Broadway as of course there are tons of people everywhere.

Queen Studio is a comfortable size for two people. Upon walking into our room (every time), we noted that our room and bedding had an unpleasant musty smell, though everything appeared clean. The mattress was soft but not extremely so.

Kitchenette is equipped with a decently sized sink, large microwave, dishwasher, and stove with two burners. Surfaces, cookware, dishes, and cutlery appeared to be clean, but there was a food smell coming from some of the cabinets. Large table/workspace good for business travellers. The safe in the closet is big enough for a 15.6" laptop. Would have appreciated more counter space in the bathroom. (The countertop was a prebuilt unit rather than a custom fit, so there was some wasted space.) Hot water readily available and good water pressure in the shower.

One of the two elevators was out of service for over two full days during our stay, making the wait times a bit frustrating during peak hours.

Wifi connectivity was excellent. Staff were friendly. Note that housekeeping will only come once per week, but you can request fresh towels as needed. Complimentary coffee in the lobby and a small tuck shop (self-serve, honour system). Free use of laundry machines in basement. Hotel provides car service to LGA at $52 flat (toll, tax, and tip included).

Overall decent value at $613 USD for 3 nights in July (Travelzoo offer).

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have little natural light. We couldn't tell that it was actually very s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello and thank you very much for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us. I am so sorry to read we ran short of meeting your expectations. I hope that you can give us another opportunity to “wow” you on your next trip to the big city. Please feel free to contact a manager on duty in advance.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Seriously?! This is my new find for staying in Manhattan! The price was excellent, the room was very clean and spacious for the price point, and the kitchen (a full-size refrigerator!) was wonderful! The staff was helpful and the stay was nearly perfect. The valet parking can be skipped since you will pass a parking garage before you get to the hotel and their rates are about $15.00/night less than what you would pay for the hotel valet. I used the hotel valet and my car came back damaged. Stay tuned for how this ends since it was a rental. The hotel ended up taking the valet charge off my bill but the damage to my passenger side door was still there. The valet told me the damage was there but I am very suspicious since I was not notified but they all of a sudden produced a card the valet had completed showing the damage was there when I dropped off the car. Odd since the damage documented at the rental company did not make the same report! Again, I’ll have to wait and see how this ends. Still, without that, I would stay at this property again. Access to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (long trip busses and subway access) and the short walk to Times Square makes this a wonderful option.

Room Tip: Staying on an upper floor, I heard very little noise. Simply run the fan on the air conditioner and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Greetings from NYC and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so happy we were able to become you NEW find in the city. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences and I am glad we were able to assist you when you brought your concerns to our attention. If you should require any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting us directly.