“New - Excellent Value for Money”

Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
Ranked #215 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Delhi
“New - Excellent Value for Money”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I checked in at night, the reception was well staffed, and the receptionist was very helpful. My room was very clean, had a small kitchen. The rooms are very new and modern. Given it is Manhattan, the size of rooms are small.

It appears that same owners have 3 properties next to each other of IHG (One is Holidayinn Express, I don't know the other one).

I was in NY to attend a trade show at the Javit Center, which is about 7 - 10 mins walk. Also outside the hotel was a street side market of antiques on the day I was staying. There are a couple dining options around the hotel. I ordered Indian food be delivered to my hotel room, and the hotel did not have a problem with that.

Free wifi is always good and helpful. The price was also very good for a NY hotel.

All in all, excellent. I would come here again definitely.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TheGlobalIndian
candleTS, General Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our NEW Candlewood Suites - Times Square. We are very proud to have guests such as yourself who have had positive experiences in our property. We are glad to know that you not only enjoyed your accomodations, but you were able to experience a good amount of the city while you were here. Our relationship with the Javitz Center is very important to us and hope that reviews such as yours will influence other guests to experience what our Candlewood has to offer.

We look forward to having you in the near future.

HN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Cleanliness: Clean room, but unfortunately some towels had stains. We called front desk, and they were up in no time with more towels, but unfortunately, some of those towels also had stains on them. They really should have looked over the towels before bringing more with stains. Otherwise, extremely pleased that the recliner and chair were not made of fabric.
Location:
Not bad. Our room faced southwest, so we saw the New Yorker sign above one building and a portion of the harbor. We were able to walk to Times Square (there is no view of it from hotel) and to the Cirlce Line dock at 42nd street for the 3-hr cruise.
We had advanced reservations and paid half the price of the hotel we stayed at the day before. This room has a kitchenette, the other hotel didn't. The square footage of this hotel was smaller and the bed was only a queen, not king.
Room
The only towel rack was in the shower area; they should consider putting one near sink.
Very little counter space around the sink. Perhaps they should put a ledge above the counter to accomodate items.
Work-out room was small and in basement.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank integrity8
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Located 3 streets from 42nd Street - a 3 minute walk to Time Square and a room with everything a traveller needs ... what isn't to love about this place?
I'm actually worried that once I tell all my friends and everyone else on trip advisor that I'll struggle to get a room should I ever get back to New York on vacation.

The rooms are large for NYC, have a kitchen with a fridge/freezer and microwave and a bed that is great to sleep in. We had zero traffic noise even on the 4th floor! the TV was HD - which was the only gripe with the signal sometimes being corrupted.

Bathroom has enough space and importantly light to shave properly and the shower was effective.

Room was spotless lobby and elevators too. All in all I couldn't believe our luck landing ourselves in this hotel.

Because it's a candlewood suites there's no day to day housekeeping - rooms are serviced once a week. But all you need to do is hang up your towels and pull your bed covers up and what's the difference! The Staff were brilliant and helpful and really compared to so many staff at other hotels over the year I would commend them all.

The A/C could be a little loud at night but we just turned it off and the room was fine for temp.

All in all I'd recommend this place to everyone and anyone - it's not trying to be 5 star - it's trying to give you the best value for you money and really you CAN'T beat it. When I come back to NYC and want to stay somewhere central there is one hotel which will be my number one choice!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RockFire
candleTS, General Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
First allow us to thank you for choosing our property for your most recent travels. We are very happy to know that you had a pleasant experience. As you probably experienced yourself while booking, the Candlewood Suites is new to New York City and a good amount of travelers are not familiar with the product nor the concept of a Candlewood. We are very proud of our property and strive to provide all of our guests with exemplary service and a home away from home in the worlds most exciting city. We hope that you continue to choose us for your future travels and hope that your comments have influenced others to experience what the Candlewood Suites has to offer.

London, England
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Got this hotel through Bookit.com as a "mystery hotel", and wasn't too sure what to expect. I have stayed in many hotels in New York, and this was a pleasant surprise! Compared to many in NYC, the rooms are a good size, and in good condition. The bathroom, however, is small and basic, and it might have just been my room, but the toilet lid was missing (so had to be careful that I didn't knock things with my elbow into the toilet bowl when brushing my teeth!).

Staff are friendly, and seemed to really want to help you when you needed something. Check in was quick and easy. Each room has free wi-fi which worked well and was a good, fast connection. There's only about 6 rooms on each floor, so you might be disturbed by the elevator at night. As it's an "extended stay" hotel, there's only housekeeping once a week (I didn't mind this but it might bother people with children).

Each room has a well-equipped kitchen, and they give you complimentary sachets of coffee for the coffee maker (or fresh coffee is available in reception). There's also a small shop in reception selling basic supplies, but there are several large branches of Duane Reed near the hotel which have more choice.

Some reviewers have remarked on the location - it's about a 10 minute walk to Times Square, and 5 minutes to the subway station (42nd st and Port Authority), or 10 minutes to Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. The street the hotel is on is quieter than you'd expect, but I never felt unsafe including at night.

Would definitely stay here again - you pay a lot more for a much poorer experience in other NYC hotels. And few have the advantage of this hotel's location.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Awesome place to stay. Hotel was fairly new so everything was above acceptable! Washer/Dryer facility located within the hotel which is a great help if you have children. Room had temperature control which was excellent because I had the flu during my vacation. There's no room service, but with all the extra amenties there it makes up for what you don't get.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My bf & I only stayed one night at the Candlewood, but I can say that the room was large for NYC "budget" hotels. It was also very clean and even tho we only used the fridge, it was nice to have a kitchen. We poked around in the cabinets and they stock them with mixing bowls, a colander, silverware and tupperware among other things. I thought was a nice touch for people who are staying for some time. We had a queen-size suite and the bed was comfortable enough. There was room for a nice recliner and a flat-screen tv on the dresser. The bathroom was very clean with more than enough towels. The water pressure was pretty good, altho we were on the 6th floor, so we shouldn't have had too much trouble. I was worried when I discovered the room was right next to the elevators, but we didn't experience any noise from the elevators...just from the people leaving the hotel the next morning. The staff was friendly and the location is excellent. We always take the bus into city and 339 W. 39th is right around the corner from the Port Authority. There's a street canopy for construction covering the sidewalk which always makes it a little more scary than it would be otherwise late at night, but we had no issues at all. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Tampa
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My Daughter & I celebrated our birthdays in NYC and stayed here for a full week. I cannot say enough about this property. EVERYTHING was brand new therefore it was EXTREMELY CLEAN!! The staff couldn't have been nicer. Allyson was sweet as can be and each staff memeber always greeted you when they saw you. They have an "honor system store" in the lobby which I had never seen before. You simply write down what you took and hand it to the front desk! Stocked with everything you may need on a whim. My Daughter loved the fact that you could check out DVD's at no cost and there is even free use of the laundry facilities! The room was immaculate and perfect size for the 2 of us. Full kitchen with microwave & dishwasher, dining table & even a recliner! It was nice to heat up a snack after pounding the pavement all day. Free wireless and you can even use the computers/printers next door at the Holiday Inn for free as well. Great location, subway right around the corner and a great little cafe next door. We loved the Street Vendor on the corner every morning for their huge croissants, donuts, etc. (The Lady who runs it is so kind)! I felt safe with my 7 year old Daughter at night, lots of Police always on the streets and always busy. We were on the 32nd floor so no street noise, but if you come to Manhattan I dare you to find any hotel that can sound proof their facility enough to ever fix that! We will definetly be back!! And a HUGE Thank You to Allyson at the front desk for making our stay so great! :-)

Tracey & Raegan
Tampa, FL.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Chasenraegan
FDManger, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 30 March 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you choosing our location for your stay and we are happy you had a great stay. We hope if you return to New York that you will consider us again for your stay.

Front Desk Manager