“A great base for visiting New York”

Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
Ranked #234 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We spent 4 nights in the hotel after a trans-Atlantic cruise. It was great to have the freedom and fuss-free approach offered by the hotel (as an antedote to the overkill of cruising)! The rooms are clean, simple, and reasonably spacious. As a family of 4 we took 2 adjoining rooms and they offered all we needed to make our visit to NY thoroughly enjoyable. Good sized fridge-freezers, basic cooking facilities (although a kettle would be nice to help make those cups of tea required by UK visitors), comfy beds, and aircon that was more than a match for the 100 degree temperatures outside! The free wi-fi was a great bonus, and the free washing facilities meant we got back home with a minimal amount of dirty clothes. All the staff we ecountered were friendly and helpful.
We walked to most locations, and the hotel is really well located to facilitate this. Highly recommended if you have simple tastes, and like a bit of independence.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
CW339, Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. We all know that finding the right hotel can sometimes be a daunting task but we are pleased that we were able to satisfy your needs and expectations. We sincerely hope you choose our hotel for any future visits to New York.

Reviewed 31 July 2010

The cleaning staff came to the room while we were still checked in but out of the room and started to throw out all our belongings. If that wasn't bad enough I received a charge of $200 on my credit card. When I called to complain they accused me of breaking a table and not reporting it. There was no broken table in the room while I was staying in it.
I just wanted people to be aware of this so others don't get scammed like I did. I am filing complaints anywhere and everywhere for support to get the charge taken off my credit card.

3  Thank EvieToronto
FDManger, Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

The Candlewood Suites Times Square is proud to offer our guest with clean comfortable rooms, and great service levels to each and every guest that chooses us as their home away from home while visiting New York City. We are also very proud of the feedback our property receives on Tripadvisor (as shown in reviews received before and after this one). This guest stayed with us for seven nights and never expressed to us their displeasure with our product or service levels. All though we are not perfect, we will continue to work towards being the hotel of choice, for anyone looking to visit the Times Square area.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

--Value for money
--All the happening places close by
--Subway in 2 mins walk
--great staff

Loved it....recommend to all the people who want to stay in midtown....budget yet very comfortable hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
FDManger, General Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time and sharing how your stay was with us. We hope you will choose us again for a future stay in New York.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

I wasn't expecting much when I booked this room. It was close to the convention center which was the purpose of my trip. I generally don't like midtown, but the price was unbelievable for N.Y. and it had a small kitchen - an asset when staying for a week. I was very pleasantly surprised at the hotel and really enjoyed myself here. The bed was comfortable, although I think a bit small if my husband had come too, I don't know if they do 2 double beds or a king (they said this was a queen size but it didn't seem that big) This hotel is on what I call "economy hotel row" on 39th Street in N.Y. It is sandwiched between a Holiday inn Express and a Hampton Inn. It is near 9th ave, the Hell's Kitchen area which I do like better than Times Square. You are close to everything. The place was immaculate, with a decent work out room, free laundry facilities and a very pleasant attitude. I was up on the 27th floor and had a great view of the Empire State Building on one side and the Hudson on the other. The kitchen facility was decent-fridge, microwave, stove. I don't thing you really need a dishwasher. One review complained about on toilet seat cover and I thought that was odd until I was there. It would be nice to have a cover because the bathroom is small and I 1) worried about stuff falling in and 2) would like to have had a place to sit to trim nails and such in the bathroom. It is not a luxury hotel but for the price it is a good value and I would consider staying here again. I was here a week and felt like I had my own little single in N.Y. It was well set up with a comfortable chair for watching T.V. and a desk chair. I was solo on this trip and it may have been a bit cramped with 2, but I've been in smaller rooms in N.Y. at a higher price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Id like to say thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very pleased to hear to you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently working on changing our seat cover in our bathrooms and hopefully if you stay with us again in the future you wil be able to see our improvement. We appreciate your time and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Coming from a cruise and travelling for another week in the USA, we dropped by to asked if we could store our luggage for 1 week. After reflection, and stating that they normally did not do this, they accepted to do so. So, we could travel much lighter. Directly they proposed us a taxi to the airport with a private van. As we wanted something to drink, they indicated where to go and when we came back, the car was there already with our name on it. Great service already. After one week, we directly received our suitcase and they appologized that our room was not ready yet. One of our suitcases was lost and they called several time to the airline company (we did not even asked) to inform about the status. Bethy at the front desk was more than helpfull and when we where to check out and our suitcase was not yet there, we could stay even longer in our room. Great service and great location.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share with us how your stay was. We hope you enjoyed your cruise in addition to what New York City has to offer. Please consider us again for a future stay in New York.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

The hotel only offers rooms with one queen bed. The property has 2 rollaways, but good luck getting one. By NYC standards, the rooms are huge. The elevators were quick, the staff was friendly and responsive. The views from the south side were great.

The close proximity to the Lincoln tunnel made the entry and exit of NYC easy. It is easy walking distance to the subway, and walkable to Times Square.

It is a new property so it was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. All or our rooms are Studio Queen Suites with one bed. We are very sorry we did not have a rollaway bed available for you during your stay. We only have a few rooms that could accomodate rollaway beds so we do not have many onsite. We thank you for choosing us for your stay in NYC and we hope you will consider us for your next stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this hotel in June. Being our first trip to NYC we were looking for something close to everything, economical, and most of all safe. This hotel was definitely all of the above. As other people mentioned there is no daily housekeeping, they only come around once a week. But really who needs housekeeping every day anyway? And on our 4th day when we did want some clean towels, all we had to do was ask the front desk and they were delivered right to our room. We expected small rooms being in NYC, and this room was smaller than most we have been in before in other cities, but it was still large enough, and an excellent sized bathroom. Staff was friendly and knowledgable - they gave us directions to the sights, and even helped me figure out the Subway system. The hotel is on West 39th, which looks a little sketchy from the outside, but we never felt unsafe at any time - even 1:00 in the morning. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in NYC.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
FDManger, General Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience with us. We always look for feedback from our valued guests. We thank you again and hope you will choose our hotel for a future stay in New York City.