“Incredible location and experience”
Review of Greenwich Hotel

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #84 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“Incredible location and experience”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Had a fantastic stay at the Greenwich Inn in Tribeca - NYC. What an awesome hotel. It was almost like staying at your cool friend's house - if your friend is totally connected to NY scene ! First day ran into Christie Turlington, 2nd day - Girard Depardieu; pretty cool folks. The rooms are lovely - frette linens; carrera marble; hardwood floors; high ceilings; Bose speakers; fully stocked mini bar :) The gym and spa are awesome - just what you need to work off the fantastic food at the Locanda Verde restaurant and the in house lounge, which is only open to hotel guests. We had 2 great meals at Locanda Verde and the Ily coffee in the morning was delicious. (Thank you Brandon - you make a mean Americano Misto, my friend). Our only complaint (and I am stretching to find one - really) is that we had communicated to the hotel that I was gluten free and asked them to update our in room mini bar and snack basket with g-free treats, and that wasn't done; BUT... they did create a special gluten free menu and gave to us when we checked in for the lounge. That was above and beyond! Our thanks to the team on the front desk for taking such good care of us, their recommendations and their directions! We will be back and we thank you for your help to make our stay memorable. (also - thanks to our lovely housekeeper - she was super friendly and our room was sparkly and clean each day!)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 502 - very quiet and at the end of the hall. Loved the location - couldn't hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 April 2013

From the minute you walk in you sense this is a special place. The staff is very friendly and welcoming doing everything in person from escorting you to their lunch area to touring you in your room. Comfy beds, included mini bar and snacks, lovely rooms BUT.....the wireless didn't work and even after 15 minutes on the phone with an IT person no wireless our entire stay. No one even called back to see if it was now working. In addition, the attached restaurant with excellent food, would not seat me for breakfast to have coffee until my wife was present. Sorry, at almost 1k per night this is absolutely ridiculous. Add that to a 10 minute wait for the elevator (on my watch) Sunday am at 1030 and you have a 2-3 Star! (Yes, their wonderful manager, she was very attentive, did send the obligatory bottle of wine as an apology but frankly, we had great wines at dinner and when we travel we want it right the first time)

Would I go back....yes BUT now I, and you, know what to look for. Many options out there at this price but perhaps the celeb trade is more important to them.

Room Tip: They have rooms with separate showers and bath tubs but if you choose the room with a deep tub, it s...
1 Thank atltraveler52
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I read about the Greenwich Hotel in a blog sometime last year and made a mental note to check it out sometime. After a recent home burglary, my husband and I decided a 4 day getaway to New York was in order and I quickly booked what appeared to be the only available room left, a basic queen bed room overlooking the courtyard. We only travel a few times a year, but since we don't have children, we usually splurge for the best. For comparison purposes, we have been lucky enough to stay at some fabulous resorts/hotels such as FS Hualalai, Parrot Cay, Cap Juluca, Viceroy Anguilla, Maroma Resort and Spa, and Caneel and Little Dix Bays. This may have been our best hotel experience to date. I can confidently say, the hotel and service are what I consider to be true, exceptional 5 star quality.
The room: Eclectic, serene but interesting. Comfortable. Great bed, linens. Smallish bathroom was designed to seem much larger. And Finally! A 5 star hotel that does not nickle and dime you to death. The free mini bar and snack bin and delicious homemade treats! Seriously? Di Nero finally got it right.
The Drawing Room: such a beautiful space! Hanging out there with a glass of wine, some olives, the fireplace kicking. So cozy and relaxing. A true oasis in the city. The courtyard off the room is lovely as well and we enjoyed cocktails out there during a warmish afternoon the first day of April (or was it the second?).
The Service: This is where I gush. We interacted with every aspect of service possible, from the cleaning staff, to room service, the spa, the drawing room bartenders and servers, Locanda Verde, the doormen, and the outstanding front desk. We kept remarking how we have never had such impeccable service. Anywhere. Ever. Call for coffee to be delivered to your room? No problem. It arrived all three times in under 5 minutes. Last minute reservations to Locanda Verde? No problem. When is it good for you? When would you like US to fit YOU in? Amazing spa service. Doormen who were always, always kind and happy and helpful. One night we asked if they could help us with a cab and they gave us their in house driver....no charge. I think his name was Smalls and he was the most professional and genuinely kind/easy going man. Additonally, there are special props I'd like to give in two areas. #1. The bartenders/servers in the drawing room. This is a place where many celebrities come to hang out, smoke cigarettes, hide out. Several were present during our stay. Not once were we ever treated any differently than those celebrities. The same amazing service and attention were given to us, every time. And this is what made US feel like celebrities. And that's what you call outstanding service. At Parrot Cay, the minute someone famous appeared, you can be certain your server would disappear. And so would you in their eyes. #2. The front desk staff is majorly awesome. Especially Travis. I think he must have a natural gift for hospitality or he was trained very, very well. He was eager to help us with anything: directions, tips, advice, reservations. He seemed genuinely interested when he would comment on where we were going/what we were doing. He made our stay so much easier, smoother. Boy needs a raise. Or a bit part in Di Niro's next movie. We gave him a thank you note. He gave us a thank you note for the thank you note. And late night treats. Love him.
Other 5 star hotels, take note. This is how it's done.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the courtyard. It's pretty and quiet.
3 Thank Kirstin R
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2013

It's surely one of the nicest hotels I have ever been. The staff is quite young, very well trained. They took really good care of me. Went to several plays, no problem to get tickets for me.
They did send me to places, I have never been before. For excample to the foodmarket on Sunday under the BrooklynBridge. It's all about good foot, great place to be. Breakfast is delicious, try toasted Bread with Ricotta, Honey and Thym. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard, where one can
smoke and sit outside, eat there. Attached to the hotel is a wonderful italian restaurant. Prices are
reasonable for such good quality.
p.s. their longdrinks need some improvements....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hype is mostly true. The staff are welcoming and enthusiastic. And very discreet if you care about such things which many of the guests do - We spotted Anna Wintour, Ted Danson and Bradley Cooper on our visit. The hotel is small and quiet, perfect for a chilled out break. If you're looking for a hectic downtown bar scene look elsewhere. The rooms are comfortable and quiet although our standard room was smallish with limited wardrobe space. Very comfortable beds and luxurious linen. One gripe - our shower had a shower curtain which is unacceptable for a hotel I this category charging these rates. I had spotted it in TripAdvisor photos and had requested a room with no shower curtain in the bathroom which was promised but not delivered. The management didn't deal with my complaint very well which was disappointing and a little surprising. The pool is amazing and the neighbourhood is charming. Be sure to book a table in Locanda Verde - it's amazing.

Room Tip: Request a high floor facing the courtyard for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Stanfordville, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The Greenwich remains my absolute favorite hotel in NY. The common areas, rooms, pool area and spa are exquisite. The hotel maintains an intimate charm in the (lower) middle of the bustling city. Above all, their service cannot be beat.......unfortunately , they have scarred me for life and I never want to stay anywhere else !!!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank scootrn
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I'm afraid to post this because often, especially thanks to the internet, when great things are recognized it gets recognized by millions, then millions are attracted to it, and it becomes no longer great because it's not only the place that makes somewhere magical, it can be the people (in this case, guests) too. We were trying to get a suite and at the last minute one opened up, then we got even luckier and ended up in one of the Penthouses...We had to wait a while (they probably had to drag the prior inhabitants out screaming), and they comped our drinks we ordered in the gorgeous drawing room. Yes, I said drawing room. The atmosphere was so...Parisian mixed with New York. Some perfectly-imperfectly styled Parisians quietly chatting and giggling in one corner with their perfect accents, some Orange County-looking baby-carrying housewife types being...themselves but trying to speak more quietly to blend in and not embarrass themselves, and us. There is some drink with a beaten egg white that is to live for. I don't like to say to die for.

Wow. Never been in something so nice in New York City, nice in that rustic, earthy way. It's either gritty NYC or ultra-sleek, ueber-trendy upscale stuff. This felt like a luxury lake house...in the middle of a city. With 2 floors, 2 enormous bathrooms, ninja maids who seemed to know exactly what we were doing when we went somewhere because things were adjusted to fit with what would be nice upon return (like slippers and a mat laid out in front of my bed after my massage). Unique furniture, art. Free snacks. Free (full-sized) bottles of wine. iPads in each room. Several lighting options for every room. Large, luxury soaps, lotions, and hair products. A gorgeous bidet (I know this is a little TMI, but bidets rock and they should be standard everywhere!). We never touched any heating units (it was freezing outside) but the temperature was always perfect. The living/dining area was very romantic-looking/feeling in the evening. In the morning too. I felt like a princess when I woke up.

I'm a New York native who now lives elsewhere but I try to come back as often as humanly possible despite my super-corporate life at the moment. Normally when I come back I really shouldn't even book nicer hotels because I'm never in them. Normally I land, drop off my bags at the hotel, and take a sharp right or left and shop for a million blocks until I'm dizzy and hail a cab to return me to my lair. This time I had to be dragged OUT of this hotel. Suddenly I had no shopping goals or anything. You could hear no outside noise. The pool is so hot. Like, sexy hot. My massage almost brought me to tears. Usually it's always a flip of the coin with massage therapists, even in the nicest hotels.

This spot is just so unique, unpretentious, and home-y. Boho+Japanese minimalism and technique+vintage Italian cottage style. If that makes sense. The law of diminishing returns will probably not apply to this place for several visits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple