“Defines comfort, class and privacy. Thank you Mr. De Niro!”
Review of Greenwich Hotel

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #171 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We are still in AWE of our recent honeymoon stay at the Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca, NYC from May 7-13, 2013. Read on...

My boss wanted to treat me to a perfect honeymoon in NYC. We mentioned that we love "boutique" hotels or places with character. His research found the Greenwich.

Originally we were slated to stay in a corner fireplace suite. We had arrived on a very early flight so we had to wait until 4pm when the room was to be ready. With the hotel in walking distance to Soho and the West village, killing some time was no problem.

When we returned to the hotel, the sales manager, Katy, informed us that they were able to give us an "upgrade". The gentleman that took us to the room said, "I wouldn't normally boast about the room but I believe you will not be disappointed". Seconds later we walk through a giant, thick reclaimed-wood door and into a 2000 SQAURE FOOT PENTHOUSE with 30 foot tall windows! We couldn't believe it. The gentleman gave us a quick tour of the 2 level, 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom, full kitchen dream hotel room then left us alone. My newlywed and I just stared at the windows and I kept saying, for the next 2 hours, "This is ridiculous!".

Creature Comforts:

This room features 30 foot high windows with retractable electric shades, a push button fireplace, 2 cozy bedrooms with short balconies that overlook the hotel's courtyard. Both full bathrooms feature an amazing marble tub with antique brass hardware. I think the stone floors were even heated because I never noticed them being "cold" to the feet. Actual bath salts in a small brass bowl were tub side. There was a full kitchen with small fridge, state of the art stove, microwave, Nespresso machine fully stocked, and great italian kitchen style plates and cutlery. The giant rustic wood dining table was velvet to the touch and could easily seat 10 people. The furnishings were very cozy and "lived in". Everything was soft to the touch - from the heavy wood dining table to the soft worn giant couch. We felt like we were staying at someone's private cottage since every piece of furniture and decoration was hand selected just for this room. A basket of snacks and goodies was complimentary and refilled each day. Book shelves were filled with interesting selections of art, photography and fiction.

Technology:

All the high-tech bells and whistles were there - Starting with the electronic "key" that allowed us to access our floor in the elevator as well as the door. There was a nice flat screen TV in each room (3). A surround sound Bose system filled the giant living room with sound from the TV or the ipod connector. The TV and ipod were both controlled by the same remote. Courtesy ipad's were in every room including a small wireless Jambox speaker. Smart light switches all over the suite had a labeled push button for various lighting scenes - from daylight to a romantic evening.

Hotel:

The Greenwich Hotel website's photography does not convey how comfortable and cozy this place is. The website's photo shows the lounge in bright clean colors. In reality, this lounge is seductively dark and dozens of candles bring a luxurious and romantic mood to the whole place. We sat in every couch in the lounge and each one just sucked us in and made it very difficult to leave. Any request for drinks was attended to. We were treated like celebrities. The heated pool was down in the basement and felt like a giant private japanese pool. Dark lighting and rich wood everywhere made me wish I actually new how to swim. The gym was gorgeous and unusually large for a luxury boutique hotel. What was unusual was the dark, rich wood that surrounded the gym. With so much to walking to do around the streets of NYC the gym, unfortunately, was not in my schedule. The restaurant, Locande Verde was packed everyday, all day. We were able to grab a quick lunch there and the food was stellar.

Exclusivity:

Sitting in the lounge almost every night was a treat. One night I look over to my right at an adjacent couch. I look twice. It's Robert De Niro. I know that this is Robert's Hotel. I did not expect him to be sitting in the lounge. And he was sitting with Harvey Keitel. The next night we sat next to Ed O'Neill (Married with Children). We were truly in a special, private place. The lounge is only open to guests of the hotel, so privacy is preserved for it's guests. Also, any food from the popular Locande Verde is available to guests in the lounge since it is often booked solid.

Location:

This was our first experience in Tribeca. What a great location. Broadway shows were a quick cab ride up the West side. Tribeca feels like a quiet neighborhood with million dollar lofts, but there are enough great restaurants and little, hip bars to keep you busy for the night while not feeling like a tourist. There are several art galleries and unique shops for gifts and clothing within walking distance. A very short walk takes you right to Soho and West village.

Conclusion:

For the average traveler, the Greenwich Hotel might seem like a more expensive option than most choices. However, I believe that this is one of the few hotels were every dollar spent is returned not just in value, but with the hotel's service, exclusivity, comfort and take-home experience.

I do not always have the budget for a hotel like the Greenwich, but I certainly will try to stay here again!

It was very difficult to leave this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Homer L

Reviewed 15 May 2013

The Greenwich is a wonderful boutique spot in Tribeca. It's a stylish, understated and very relaxing place to stay. The service levels are consistently friendly and attentive. it's street front entrance is understated and as you walk inside the lobby has a warmly furnished sitting area finished with dark wood panelling which extends into the Library area which is open for casual meals and drinks. A private courtyard opens up from the Library which is a pleasant oasis for conversation. The guest rooms are uniquely finished with beautiful wooden entrance doors, antiques furnishings, good furniture and side tables stocked with an interesting selection of hardcover books. The snacks that typically get tallied up on your mini-bar account are complimentary - a nice touch. The beds are very good with high-quality linens. The water pressure is so good in the bathtubs that there is a card warning you not to leave their quick-fill tubs unattended. They fill in less than two minutes and the shower pressure is a treat. Amenities are also top notch. All in all, the Greenwich does everything very well!

1  Thank LakesiderToronto
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My wife and I have happily stayed at the same small upper East side hotel for twenty years of NYC visits. This particular visit was to see our close friends who live in TriBeCa. My wife couldn't make it at the last minute, so I booked a room at the Greenwich Hotel to be near our friends (4 blocks north on Greenwich St.). The Greenwich Hotel is a beautifully designed corner building, very stylish and understated in an Italian-rustic sort or way. My deluxe room was very spacious, spotless, quiet and comfortable. The room and bathroom have adequate lighting, the electronically controlled curtains are a kick, and the shower is a good one. The free snacks are a nice touch. I liked the wide-plank wooden flooring, and really liked the look of the tooled leather-clad pocket door that separates the entry hall from the bedroom. Everything is aesthetically distressed in small ways to make you think you might be in a bedroom of a first rate Tuscan country home. The lobby is conducive to interesting conversational groups, the bar is dark and fun in a luxurious way, and the inner courtyard is simply outstanding in all ways. It's like a hidden gem in the middle of the city, or a beautiful surprise behind a Venice outer wall! Locanda Verde is truly a good restaurant, and attracts many TriBeCa residents (including my friends) which is always a good sign. I found the staff at the Greenwich Hotel, down to a person, to be friendly, polite, professional, and dare I say it...attractive! My only issue, and it's piddling at best, is a design affectation I noted in the room hallways....they are rather dim and a bit claustrophobic because of a lack of light. Not that you'd want LED's making your eyes squint, but each time I got off the elevator going to my room, I couldn't help but think I was in The Haunted Mansion. Maybe turn it up a notch and lose some of the yellowish glow? Just a suggestion, and a minor note. The Greenwich Hotel is a terrific place in a terrific neighborhood, and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed at The Greenwich Hotel for a one week business trip. It has service and style for miles, and I absolutely loved the understated chic design of my room. Between the gym (fantastic), the spa (beautiful), and the amazing food at Locanda Verde, I had a sublime stay. They have a wonderful sitting area and outdoor dining area exclusively for guests, and I was able to roll meetings there with great fluidity. From the totally complimentary snacks in every room (Mrs. Tates cookies? Delicious!), to the eco-friendly water jugs on the nightstand...the room is filled with nice touches. I adore Tribeca, and will be staying at The Greenwich whenever my budget permits.

Room Tip: If you enjoy sunsets, ask for a western exposure with a view of the Hudson.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank zeppo33
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have stayed here 3 times, and had an amazing stay every time. Love the hotel Lobby. Just a classy quiet way to check in. Off the lobby is a beautiful library that has comfortable couches, a nice small bar, and in winter a roaring fireplace. Its a very quiet and relaxing. There is a nice courtyard off the library as well. Each stay was in a different room. Each room was very differently designed and very nice. Really enjoy the rain showers in bathroom.
Attached to hotel is a fabulous restaurant Locando. We have eaten brunch and dinner, and the food is great. Its really a happening scene at night.

Room Tip: all rooms are very different and very nice. I always prefer higher floors
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We had a great long weekend at the Greenwich. The only reason it is not five stars is that the bed was not great and the price is a little high, but they really take good care of their guests.

The guest only lounge is great as is the spa.

The water pressure in the shower and soaking tub were amazing.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

I am new to tripadvisor reviews, but I have used it a lot in my travels...so I thought I should start sharing the amazing places I find... This one was definitely one of them.

I have stayed in New York many times, and normally in Mid Town area...even the nice hotels are nondescript and you are just a number. At the Greenwich instead, in Tribeca, you are a person, and the doorman (who is always very well dressed and polite) even remembers your name. It is the first time I have stayed in a hotel in New York where I thought that I felt "at home away from home"...pretty amazing.

The decor was fabulous, and the room very spacious. They have lots of little snacks and N/A beverages which are included in the rate (which is nice), and the beds are very comfortable.

Above all i thought the staff was amazing. Very friendly and helpful yet professional.

If you are planning a trip to NY, I highly recommend this hotel... oh, and the restaurant is truly authentic italian cuisine!

Room Tip: all the rooms are different. I was in 306 and it was very nice, with a big shower. A colleague of mi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business