“Unique NYC hotel”
Review of Greenwich Hotel

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #169 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 November 2009

This is a fantastic hotel if you'd like to try something different to the classic NYC Manhattan hotel experience but still enjoy your 5* luxury. We were on a trip for my birthday and stayed in a Corner Suite which was much better than it looks in the pictures and not noisey at all (fourth floor). The room was very beautiful with a dining table, wet bar and sofas and had the feel of an Italian Villa more than a hotel room in NYC. Everything has already been said about the massive bathroom, luxury full size organic toiletries, wonderful ambiance of public rooms and great food in the restaurant. We found the staff very friendly and polite and even got a personal letter from the General Manager sent to our home thanking us for our comments on our experience at the hotel. If you do any research at all into the background of the building of this hotel and Robert De Niro's personal input into the decor and fittings you will appreciate the effort that has gone into all aspects of this unique hotel. We had a wonderful time and will definately be back. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onslow

Reviewed 29 October 2009

Stayed here to try it out as previously stayed at Soho House (fav), Mercer (2nd fav) and The Bowery (least fav of the three).

My wife and I love design hotels, and The Greenwich lived up to expectations in terms of decor in most cases - in general really well done and good atmosphere all round. Borderline 'Swiss chalet' in some areas, but overall a good, warm design. We stayed in a deluxe Greenwich, and a few weird fittings in the room didn't seem to go very well (chandelier for one), but this was offset by the size, bathrooms and overall feel.

Staff were friendly and helpful in many cases - but there's certainly room for improvement - at the front desk in particular - and the speed of service in the communal areas could certainly be improved.

The spa is as good as it looks in the pictures, although the spa treatments seemed totally over the top price-wise - even for a hotel at this level. It's about double of similar places so I gave it a miss although I would have liked to try.

The Italian restaurant (which also served breakfast) was also good - although the breakfast itself was very lacking in terms of any kind of self service items (juice, cereals etc). By lacking i mean non-existent, with menu ordering only.

The courtyard's lovely.

There were a few negatives, and they would make me think twice about staying again.

Noise: The room was very noisy - we could hear another room like the occupants were in ours. May have been through the air vents or something. Unfortunately for us, the guests in that room were [--] all through the night and were [--] movie loud.
Several attempts to address this at front desk and get moved were pretty much dismissed and ignored. They said they were full, but to pay this money and not get any sleep is ridiculous - am sure they had higher spec rooms and should have moved us. Not good.

Perhaps that wouldn't have been quite so bad if the garbage truck didn't stop by outside our room at about 4:30-5am every morning for an hour, crushing rubbish. We had a room on the North Moore side, 4th floor, and I was woken up every morning - after an already reduced sleep. Not good again.

The best part of the room was the free basket of snacks and all soft drinks and water being free - not only that but they're topped up each day! A very nice touch.

Having checked my bill, it looks like they charged the posting of a letter I gave them at checkout to my credit card - £0.64p. Nothing technically wrong with that - but seems a bit petty and has never happened anywhere I've stayed before.

I've never stayed Tribeca before, and thought it was a nice change from Soho and Meatpacking, although in general we always walked into Soho as there's not too much to do around the area (although there is a great breakfast at Bubby's just round the corner)

All-in-all a good experience, but certainly wasn't made to feel special which is always what the end judgement comes down to. Why do these hotels insist on not having the front of house sorted out, and a bit more willing to please? Simple things like that are always the easiest to fix, and make the biggest difference to a guest.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelling000
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Stayed here on a business trip. Am used to city sounds but the noises from the restaurants were awful. Kept us up all night. Though the courtyard is beautiful, why ruin the scene with a lat nigh restaurant where most of the dinners are not even staying in the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
7  Thank eddiewish6
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Stayed here out of necessity (our hotel booking through a web service at another hotel was not honoured, and all else was booked), and paid well above what we planned, but...
It was beautiful, the staff were attentive, professional, yet casual and friendly. The room was comfortable, stylish, large, warm. "Free" treats, great toiletries, fab bathroom/shower.
And a spa in the basement!
Restaurants were A-1.
A great stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The Greenwich Hotel is probably the most tastefully decorated hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed at over 100 hotels in the last 5 years. However, it also the second most expensive...

I stayed at the Greenwich despite the hotel being out of my price range because it was the only available hotel on Manhattan during Labour weekend 2009. The hotel has a very pleasant lobby and bar, a cosy courtyard and a well equipped gym and spa, which I unfortunately just had a brief look at. It is located in a residential and quiet part of Greenwich, but there is no shortage of restaurants and cafes nearby.

My room had lovely wooden floors, a very comfortable bed, electric curtains, excellent sound proofing, excellent AC system and a beautiful bathroom. Add to free non alcoholic drinks and snacks and I felt right at home.

My only complaint would be the free wifi, which was much too slow and hampered my work. Dont stay here if you need fast internet. For a romantic getaway, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Christian B
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Greenwich Hotel for 3 nights and we did not want to leave. I wish we had booked a longer stay. We found our room to be extremely comfortable, peaceful and quiet. The windows kept out street noise and the heating/cooling system operated perfectly and with absolutely no noise. The public areas, such as the drawing room and the courtyard are awesome. They are comfortable and inviting while at the same time providing an elegance wherein you appreciate you're enjoying something special. We enjoyed glasses of wine in the drawing room and some wonderful meals in the courtyard. Often we had these rooms to ourselves. We also enjoyed the beautifully designed and very peaceful pool area. Every time we used the pool we were the only ones there.

I have already encouraged many friends to try this hotel and it's restaurant, Locanda Verde. The food at Locanda Verde is fantastic. If you're looking for a romantic and/or relaxing place to get away, I couldn't encourage you more strongly to try this hotel. The staff is generally young, very nice and accomodating.

We also enjoyed staying in TriBeCa. It's clean, safe and a bit slower paced. It's easy to get everywhere else in the city, including shopping in SoHo. It has some of the best restaurants all within an easy walk along beautiful city streets.

We'll be back soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Greenwich last week, we needed a local vacation during some repair work on our apartment. Our stay was amazing, the staff is way above par, the cleanliness and atmosphere also were outstanding. We picked the hotel because we loved the interiors we had seen before. The rooms are super comfy, the bed was like home. You also have to see and enjoy the pool, a true wonder in NYC, not to mention the amazing music and atmosphere in the lobby lounge area, we enjoyed a few drinks there and will be back! Overall, it was a great, quiet and relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple