“Has potential”

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #57 of 1,149 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to different areas of our two historic tenement buildings or neighborhood.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

There are a number of tour options. We took the 90 min shop life tour. We learned interesting things, but the tour could probably be done better in an hour. At 90 min, it seemed like the guide had to keep to a pretty slow pace to fill the time. And some of the efforts to make participants interact felt a bit too contrived. Still, it was very cool to learn about the challenges of life in tiny quarters with no running water in the 19th into the 20th century.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,669)
All reviews
in 69 reviews
"new york"
in 846 reviews

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a wonderfully approachable museum for families. My now 9 year old daughter will rate this as her favorite place in NYC. I can not recommend this museum enough.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I'm a history buff, but having to pay for a long tour which only showed you a very small part of an interesting museum, and having to listen to the guide waffle on, trying to fill your hour when you are not seeing very much, quickly became boring. There is a lot to see, but I doubt that anybody would have either the time or money to see everything. I believe their business model is very wrong and wouldn't recommend this place under its current structure.

3  Thank WalkersWA
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I took the Irish Outsiders tour. It was interesting, I loved seeing the recreated tenement, but that was about it. I didn't feel that the tour added new information to my knowledge of tenements (but I am a history teacher).

I would have liked to be able to explore the different apartments.I knew that it wasn't a true walk around museum but I guess I was just not impressed with the tour.

Our tour guide was very nice and knowledgable however.

If the tour had cost $7 or so, I would say it was worth it. It just was too much money for what I got out of it.

2  Thank Sharkalark